Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Anyway. This needs to stop before the mods get their keys out. I'm happy to continue defending my corner but I fear tempers may be fraying somewhat. Enough.

If it helps - you all bloody win. Don't bloody read it, then. (See if I bloody care.) Just don't come bloody running to me when something bloody... bloody... you know, like... something really bloody bad and... unexpected chops the bloody legs from under you... grrmmph...

Enough.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Interestingly, if you read back through the thread you can see that Hawkmumbler has read the document (and more of it than you - you said). This "nobody's taking the time to read the information" argument is just a sideshow, really.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

If it makes you feel any better Shark, I tried to read it. Got to about page 4 before I dismissed it as not having any real merit. I didn't know anything about the author when I first attempted to read it, but the fact that he is viewed as a bit of crank came as no real surprise.

Things are getting a bit heated here, but it's probably just the sun, we can ignore any human-related causes and not try to fix them.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Well, I'm still not proper through it, but it is interesting to me - even in a generally-interested-in-astronomy-and-shit kind of way. The planets have an effect on the sun, especially Jupiter and Saturn, but all the others too. All those planets in orbit, pulling the sun this way and that, sometimes lining up for a big lurch, or smoothing out. And all this gravitational and inertial energy causes tides on the actual surface of the sun, which might cause fluctuations in the fusion rate. Or something. The tides are only millimeters so the effects are negligible but isn't that just a great sci-fi idea? Using gravity waves to adjust the fusion rate of a star? Leaving all the other debate about this out, that is one cool superalien-tek idea.

Somebody get me Tharg...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 August, 2021, 07:46:35 PM
The planets have an effect on the sun, especially Jupiter and Saturn, but all the others too.

You should never underestimate the influence of Uranus

Tjm86

IndigoPrime

That cartoon is simultaneously wonderful and horribly depressing. The UK government appears to largely be 2 and 5, with the wider Conservative Party rolling in 1, 3, 4 and 7. Big Corbyn Labour vibes in 8, and Green Party and Lib Deb vibes in 9. (#10 is USA GoP, natch.)

I'm probably guilty of being a bit like eleven occasionally, maybe four when I'm in a good mood.

You could slap zodiac signs on each of them and the cranks would eat it up.

Funt Solo

I noticed that none of those are actually dismissing the reality of human-induced climate change - they're just not reacting well to it (if we suppose that the long-term aim is to reduce the impact).

My daughter has hit on a radical solution: removal of humanity.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

Funt Solo

No, but she has an imaginary friend - Dr. Peters - and has taken to arranging her Tumblin' Monkeys in circular patterns around the house. Just normal kid stuff.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Well, I am black-pilled, so I'd go with no.11. Maybe no2.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

The problem with #11 is that even now we have an emergency off ramp. If leaders pulled their fingers out and made changes right now, we could avoid the worst of this. We could instantly set off massive investment in renewables. We could make laws to change how packaging works. We could shift diets and drop energy usage, by huge amounts, with relatively little change to people's lives. But leaders would rather remain in thrall to massive corporations who've been gaslighting the population for decades.

And that's where #2 doesn't work either: individuals can make some difference, but not to any degree that ultimately really counts if corporations and governments aren't on board. Me not using plastic bags is good. But me being blamed for buying food in plastic containers when there's no alternative and when the government refuses to legislate (leaving it up to companies to "do the right thing" when they've precisely no incentive to do so) doesn't seem on.

milstar

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 September, 2021, 01:25:33 PM
The problem with #11 is that even now we have an emergency off ramp. If leaders pulled their fingers out and made changes right now, we could avoid the worst of this. We could instantly set off massive investment in renewables. We could make laws to change how packaging works. We could shift diets and drop energy usage, by huge amounts, with relatively little change to people's lives. But leaders would rather remain in thrall to massive corporations who've been gaslighting the population for decades.

And that's where #2 doesn't work either: individuals can make some difference, but not to any degree that ultimately really counts if corporations and governments aren't on board. Me not using plastic bags is good. But me being blamed for buying food in plastic containers when there's no alternative and when the government refuses to legislate (leaving it up to companies to "do the right thing" when they've precisely no incentive to do so) doesn't seem on.

But that's where I am for starting from smaller things to get to the big ones. First, more people need to be aware of the fragile state of our environment, and not throwing a bottle in the middle of park. I am aware that some things will be perhaps impossible to reach. Honestly, it sickens me more seeing litter than someone acting like arsehole. I was in Bradford once and by grief - it was horrible.

Hm..it'd be a good idea to see what George Eustace is up to.

In the context of climate change, I don't think we'll stop climate change (because climate is changeable, we don't need to rile it up more) if we assuage our environment with the less (or reduce completely) litter and toxic gasses, but definitely it'd help to breathe better. And maybe the summers will be less roasting and winters less freezing.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

Note, I'm not against improving our local environment. Far from it. I abhor littering. I've tried to instil a sense of pride at not littering into the youngling. But me not chucking a crisp packet on the floor is a far cry from supermarkets unnecessarily packaging food in plastic, or petrol companies knowingly wrecking the planet for profit, when they've known for decades the damage this has been causing—and where it's leading.