Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Megatropolis vs. Tribal Memories Round 3 Heat 7

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 May, 2022, 06:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I really love Megatropolis, but it's got to be Tribal Memories.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

davidbishop

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 12 May, 2022, 08:13:45 AM
I've loved Tribal Memories for decades. Back in the day there was that magnificent, chunky, 'Best of 2000AD Special' that was packed full of top-quality thrills. The Complete Tribal Memories was in that, and didn't seem.out of place. That issue is something I dig out on a fairly regular basis to reread, and I've bought multiple copies over the years for friends when they've asked me to show them why 2000AD is worth reading. If I were forced to grab *one comic* in a life or death emergency, it would probably be that one.

But, Megatropolis was spectacular. And that particular period of the Meg was the best the comic has ever been. So, Megatropolis gets it for me.

SBT

That'll be THE BEST OF 2000AD SPECIAL EDITION 1993. A passion project, had to persuade powers that be it was worth doing. Some absolute corkers in that, and the 94 Special Edition. And in the Dredd SEs too!

maryanddavid

Tribal Memories, one of my favourite one and done, and Pete Milligans best. Megatropolis is really great, but not finished.
Tribal Memories.

rogue69

sheridan

Quote from: davidbishop on 13 May, 2022, 12:00:05 AM
I've loved Tribal Memories for decades. Back in the day there was that magnificent, chunky, 'Best of 2000AD Special' that was packed full of top-quality thrills. The Complete Tribal Memories was in that, and didn't seem.out of place. That issue is something I dig out on a fairly regular basis to reread, and I've bought multiple copies over the years for friends when they've asked me to show them why 2000AD is worth reading. If I were forced to grab *one comic* in a life or death emergency, it would probably be that one.

But, Megatropolis was spectacular. And that particular period of the Meg was the best the comic has ever been. So, Megatropolis gets it for me.

SBT

That'll be THE BEST OF 2000AD SPECIAL EDITION 1993. A passion project, had to persuade powers that be it was worth doing. Some absolute corkers in that, and the 94 Special Edition. And in the Dredd SEs too!

You did good - I bought both, despite already owning all of the stories contained within (in fact I think I had one of those in the Titan colour reprint book as well).

BPP

In all honesty I don't think I've read tribal memories since it's publication tho I see it's in an extreme edition I have so will. But a fond disposition and nostalgia can't dispose the huge fun and Dave Taylor beauty of Megatropolis
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Given my failing eye scans tell us nothing I'm going with can't call this. Both thrills have had good runs of votes and then the other thrill has come back. I literally have no idea here so those last day votes could very well matter so get um in.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Oh man this was a close one, but luckily I didn't have to make the call as I adore both these strips. Both have fantastic art, tight idea packed stories. Tribal Memories used four parts as well as has ever been done in the Prog and for such a short thrill has left a massive impression. Megatropolis has sprung out the blocks and with just one series has won a legion of fans and while we've been warned we might have a wait a while for the second it could quickly turn this thrill into an absolute classic if it lands as well as the first.

The tie ebbed and flowed with Megatropolis starting strong, Tribal Memories ruling the mid and Megatropolis pulling back right at the end. Alas one has to go and Megatropolis didn't quite pull back enough and

Tribal Memories

just will be sharing its experiences of Round 4.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 13 May, 2022, 11:40:39 AM

SBT

You did good - I bought both, despite already owning all of the stories contained within (in fact I think I had one of those in the Titan colour reprint book as well).

That was a good collection, right enough. One of the things I recall is my complete surprise at it appearing in the shops - I wonder if it was advertised in the prog of the time?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Those special editions were all fantastic, a really good mix of stories, and my first introduction to Strontium Dog.

Link Prime

Missed the vote, but it would have been for Tribal Memories.

That'll be THE BEST OF 2000AD SPECIAL EDITION 1993. A passion project, had to persuade powers that be it was worth doing. Some absolute corkers in that, and the 94 Special Edition.

Still have the '93 Special Edition - great comic.
Googled the '94 Special Edition - don't recall it, and don't think I've seen it before.