Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Someone else asked on Facebook a few days ago, and Hachette's customer services person confirmed the series is currently planned to be 111 books.

leethomson

I believe it, but you'd think there'd be some sort of official comms to subscribers though. Not everyone is dedicated enough to be checking Facebook or this forum. I'm sure something will turn up in the final two deliveries (feels weird to say that. 160 weeks, my first complete partwork after cancelling Marvel and Transformers and cherry picking half of the Mega Collection)

Super Mario

Oh man how good was Ampney Crucis? it reads incredibly well collected together and it is a bit of a shame it's just been left hanging.

The bloke near the end, was that mean to be [spoiler]Stickleback's son?[/spoiler]

leethomson

I loved Crucis, but so many dangling threads! Did we even find out who Chutney was talking to in the Rolls at the end of Book One?

Bolt-01

Wasn't he talking to [spoiler]the chap from the Leviathan?[/spoiler] - spoiler in case.

Hopefully once Simon Davis gets done with the second book of Thistlebone TMO can get him and Ian back together for more Ampney.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: leethomson on 26 June, 2020, 10:47:34 AMI believe it, but you'd think there'd be some sort of official comms to subscribers though.
When do they usually do this? I don't recall when the official notification came for the Dredd extension.

Quoteafter cancelling Marvel and Transformers
Transformers would probably be a good one to keep on with, if only for resale. The sheer price of the post-80 books is something to behold, due to lockdown issues. (I was hoping to get the two G2 books, but no chance of that. I did at least manage to snag a Movie volume when a handful were still around on the Hachette website.)

leethomson

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 26 June, 2020, 02:04:25 PM
Wasn't he talking to [spoiler]the chap from the Leviathan?[/spoiler] - spoiler in case.

Ah, not read that one, so the reference was lost on me. Thanks.

leethomson

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 June, 2020, 02:06:21 PM
When do they usually do this? I don't recall when the official notification came for the Dredd extension

I couldn't say if they usually do or not, but from a subscriber's perspective, if I'd signed up for something that was going to be 80 issues I would like to know that it was going to keep on, and they'd continue taking subs.

QuoteTransformers would probably be a good one to keep on with, if only for resale.
They'd have to be going out as quickly as they came in. One of the reasons for cancelling was space. The other was that they weren't as good as I remembered. I've read the More Than Meets the Eye and Lost Light elsewhere and thought they were superb but the G1 stuff just wasn't for me any more.

IndigoPrime

I only bought the G1 stuff, as HC replacements for the Titan run. There may have been some nostalgia in that decision, frankly.

Bad Andy

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 23 June, 2020, 11:38:26 PM
Is the Future shocks book out yet.

There was a story from one of the early annuals that was a future shock about someone who bought a 'course' that increased their intelligence but not their comon sense and they ended up dead in a traffic accident.  I can't remember the name of it.  I wonder if that one is included.

Don't remember seeing it

Woolly

Quote from: Super Mario on 26 June, 2020, 10:57:22 AM
Oh man how good was Ampney Crucis? it reads incredibly well collected together and it is a bit of a shame it's just been left hanging.

The bloke near the end, was that mean to be [spoiler]Stickleback's son?[/spoiler]

Guess we'll never know for sure. Ian Edgington isn't known for finishing what he starts...  :-\

sintec

Latest books are here - seems we've caught back up with the shops now, let's hope they can keep it on track for the extension.

First impression from a quick flick through; Simon Davis was a perfect match for Slaine - it looks absolutely stunning. Not the chunkiest volume but thicker than Book Of Scars was.

IndigoPrime

Yep—I got mine on Friday. So that's one volume that was out a couple of days beforehand, and one due on the 8th of July. The catch-up is due to the shop dates being delayed, but it would be nice if this schedule sticks. (Times between deliveries so far this year have been 47 days, 30, 19, 18, 25, 28 and 28.)

As for the books, I've not looked at them yet. Dante — we are ONE BOOK from a complete HC set. Sláine: I really loved that volume in the Prog and had such high hopes. Alas, its slide into literally ALL CAPS SHOUTY BOLLOCKS was horrible. (As I've noted elsewhere, this particular run almost started out as Sláine as Hellboy. A real oddball mix of mythology that was hugely appealing to me. And the art was wonderful.)

Super Mario

I absolutely tore through Brutania Vol 1. The story is a bit on the light side but the art is staggeringly good. It's a real departure from where it ended up at the end if the Langley era, although I really loved the earlier parts of his run too.

sintec

Yeah I'm with Super Mario on this - have ripped through that book this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. This certainly wasn't the most though provoking or original thing Pat's ever written but visually it was stunning. Maybe it's gonna be all downhill from here in volume two (that certainly seemed to be the case with the Langley run) but I'll take this over the 90s stuff. Simon Davis's art is just jas dropping - it's all about the weird monsters, and the piles of carcasses for me.