Main Menu

That Twitter thread… You know the one

Started by broodblik, 21 November, 2020, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 November, 2020, 11:03:34 AM
.... Telling Bowland to "fuck off" was unnecessary, to say the least.....

For me it is not unnecessary but rather unfounded and shows a lack of professionalism.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

That and his tendency to quote-tweet every response, thereby ensuring all his followers see such remarks. Perhaps he doesn't know how to use Twitter properly. If he does, that's just encouraging pile-ons. (Not that this happened earlier this week—the reverse seemed to be the case.)

TordelBack

Apart from having zero interest in commiting photos of my spawn to perpetual record or sharing how cold it was on my morning run with people I went to school with but haven't seen in 30 years, and absolutely hating its bizarre Heraclitean 'news' format, I find Facebook group pages to have the most irritating population of all the social media platforms.

Irrespective of the efforts of group managers/hosts/whatever to provide and steer relevant content, the comments just fill up with ill-informed entitlement. And to be clear I'm not specifically talking about 2000AD or comics here, I mean everything I've ever taken an interest in.

A recent personal audit of various Irish social media/news options left me in no doubt that racist sexist anti-science bullshit has gone from 'annoyingly prevalent' to 'completely dominant'. In fact Twitter, with its ability to closely define your own feed in the manner of sticking fingers in one's ears and humming loudly, and TikTok, with its abundance of super-brief feel-good frippery, are better experiences than most.

But I have to turn all this shit off a good 2 hours before I plan to sleep,  or it's a long night of bruxism for me. Except here of course, which is positively somnolent by comparison (in a good if-not-conducive-to-growth way)

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm going to stick my oar in here and just let people know that screenshots of this thread are being displayed in at least one other forum on the internet. Namely the 2000ad subforum on gallifreybase.com, and specifically Gordon Rennies words about Pat Mills.

Might be an idea to keep that in mind.

SBT

TordelBack

-fights urge to moon screen-

It's kinda cool to be simultaneously irrelevant old men grumbling at each other in an emptying room and quotable internet sensations.

The Monarch

Dark Jimbo

Hey, why not? The forum's already regularly scanned for titbits by a certain Facebook locale.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Alternatively, every single post to this thread should from now on contain the phrase "Doctor Who is a load of shit and hasn't been any good since 1982".

SBT

Dark Jimbo

Actually, is it not a good idea for a mod to split the last five or six pages off into their own thread?
@jamesfeistdraws

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 26 November, 2020, 05:40:35 PM
I'm going to stick my oar in here and just let people know that screenshots of this thread are being displayed in at least one other forum on the internet. Namely the 2000ad subforum on gallifreybase.com, and specifically Gordon Rennies words about Pat Mills.

SBT

Sorry 'bout that!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

judgeurko

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 26 November, 2020, 05:40:35 PM

SBT
So what?

Tjm86

Possibly a polite reminder that although there are a limited number of forumites these days this is still a very public place?

Mr Mills may not be overly concerned about the opinions of a small, obsessive group of readers but extreme behaviour has resulted in lampooning in print in the past, no?

GordonR

Imagine how much sleep I'll lose tonight worrying about what the ming mongs (copyright Russell T Davies) of Gallifrey Base are saying.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Once again, I'm sorry for any offence caused by bringing it to the attention of Galifrey Base. I didn't know (and still don't) how to blank the images in question.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 November, 2020, 06:04:33 PM
Actually, is it not a good idea for a mod to split the last five or six pages off into their own thread?
It's a good idea in theory. It was a pain in the arse in reality. On balance, I rate this topic split THREE VCS OUT OF FIVE