Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

44 Inch Chest (it was on Film4).

What a load of old crap.

It didn't have a proper story - just some kind of message about relationships that I couldn't be bothered to think about as the film had already annoyed me by featuring lots of my pet hates.
The worst in this instance being characters talking about a dream that's supposed to have some relevance to the character and story.
I hate it when writers use dreams to give you an insight into what the character is thinking - it's rarely done well and is almost always far too literal and sounds nothing like the sort of dreams that people actually have.

Tiplodocus

QuoteQuote from: Tiplodocus on 22 January, 2012, 11:54:00 PM
Absolutely ludicrous - yes, but aren't comics full of absolutely ludicrous things?

Cosh said - I, for one, meant it in a positive way.

Me too. But in my rush to defend all things "Dark Knight", I fear I may have misinterpreted Mr Soap.

Did you really have no issue with Bane's dialogue? I was fine with the trailer but really struggled in the prologue bit.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Gonk

"84c MoPic".  A supposedly routine reconnaissance mission goes wrong in "indian Territory" in Vietnam.
Unbelievably gripping viewing. A film technique which Blair Witch ripped off! W######s
coming at a cinema near you soon

ICONIC_TM

Tour of Duty. Class TV!

Opening TV Series Theme
Paint it Black by Mick Jagger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-RbEVYXUM

Buddy

I watched The Thing back to back with The Thing.

Whilst I enjoyed The Thing I think The Thing is the better of the two films.

Gonk

You'd probably enjoy watching "The Blob" then.
coming at a cinema near you soon

radiator

Continuing with the documentary feel I watched The King of Kong, and rewatched Dig!.

The King of Kong is a strange one - basically chronicling the battle between two fully grown men bitterly vying for the all-time Donkey Kong high score. It was OK, but I couldn't really get involved in the narrative as it's all just so pathetic and bleak.

Dig! is the more entertaining of the two - it's a rock documentary charting the fortunes of two mid-nineties rock bands, The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols. Things start out friendly between the two, but over the years descend into bitter jealousy and ultimately disillusion and self-destruction. Despite various talking heads popping up during the film to tell us how important both bands are, there's little evidence of this in the actual material - they're average at best. The joy of the film comes from the human weakness it exposes - the egos, the hypocrisy, the bitching, the compromises (The BJM frequently sabotage their chances of success in a confused effort to remain authentic, while The Dandys get their big break from a Vodafone commercial) the rivalries, the vanity, the pretentiousness and posturing. Ultimately these people seem far more interested in living the lifestyle than making great art.

Good stuff.

Spaceghost

Quote from: radiator on 23 January, 2012, 03:08:52 PM
The King of Kong is a strange one - basically chronicling the battle between two fully grown men bitterly vying for the all-time Donkey Kong high score. It was OK, but I couldn't really get involved in the narrative as it's all just so pathetic and bleak.

Which was precisely the reason I enjoyed it so much. I could hardly believe these people were real but they are. Incredible.

The plucky underdog (can't remember his name) seemed like a nice guy, mad but nice, and Billy Mitchell seemed like a wierd ego-maniac.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

QuoteWhich was precisely the reason I enjoyed it so much. I could hardly believe these people were real but they are. Incredible.

Whereas I didn't really find it that hard to believe, and thus just thought they were quite sad.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 January, 2012, 12:16:19 PM
Did you really have no issue with Bane's dialogue? I was fine with the trailer but really struggled in the prologue bit.
Yes, I had no problem. Having seen the comments here, maybe I was prepared for it, but I don't think it would've been an issue anyway. However, as I was the only one out of five people to feel this way, it's clear there is a problem.
We never really die.

mogzilla

watched "127" days last night and even flinched at the amputation scene!

Spikes

Quote from: mogzilla on 23 January, 2012, 05:01:53 PM
watched "127" days last night and even flinched at the amputation scene!

Bit squeamish with owt like this, so had to change channels till that part was over. Im a wuss i know.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Lee Bates on 23 January, 2012, 11:29:29 AM
Just watched The Guard starring the brilliant Brendan Gleeson as a cynical small town Irish copper who get's reluctantly embroiled in an FBI investigation into a gang of drug dealers.

Really funny with some excellent, laugh-out-loud dialogue. Gleeson is really likeable despite his character's flaws and there is some great support from Mark Strong and Liam Cunningham as philosophy-loving gangsters.

Laughed my head off. I like how Irish people unnecessarily say 'sure' too often.

We watched this at the weekend - excellent movie. Gleeson is up there with the greats when it comes to best screen actors in the world arguments.

radiator

...and his son is in Dredd!

As for that scene in 127 Hours, it's surprisingly not really that gory at all - its more the audio/visual effects that make it so intense.

I, Cosh

Persepolis. Loved the animation style. Intensely disliked the central character/narrator/author/whatever combination thereof is appropriate thus could not fully engage with the story. I did like the grandmother and would happily watch a prequel following her early adventures.

If anyone is actually interested in the recent history of Iran and the Islamic Revolution, I would highly recommend this BBC documentary series from two or three years back which is available on youtube: Iran and the West.
We never really die.