Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordyM

The Villainess

A woman massacres an entire building of goons. She's captured and recruited by a government dark ops spy network. But of course all it not what it seems...

This is a twisty turny thriller with some incredible action scenes. It's as if Park Chan-wook saw La Femme Nikita and Hardcore Henry and decided "I'm having some of that."
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

abelardsnazz

The Predator. It could never be as iconic as the original, but updates and references it with no small amount of humour and verve. Entertaining enough.

TordelBack

Sneaky re-watch of The Last Jedi (eighth time for me,  I think). Not wanting to antagonise or upset those of a different PoV,  but I really love this film. It's got plenty of flaws,  and it's about one major sequence too long,  but there is just so much good stuff in there, and I see more of it each time.  Hamill and Driver in particular give just phenomenal performances. Hoping against hope that Abrams picks up some of the threads laid out for him.

Tiplodocus

Very late to the party but as the missus is away I caught up on some stuff she doesn't like to watch.

The Thing (2011) is just confusing as to what it is meant to be if you've seen the 1982 one. Why make it both a prequel and a remake at the same time? Too many story beats and scenes almost identical for it not to be considered a remake.

I also don't understand how they go from sensibly saying "Stick together... don't find yourself alone with this thing" and then going round doing things in pairs.

Or how a creature reliant on stealth and having enough time to absorb people is so fucking gung-ho and noisy.

Only Mary Elizabeth Winstead stops this getting a...

The Thing? More like Shit Thing!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

abelardsnazz

Lucky. I've been wanting to see this ever since seeing the trailer a year ago and then hearing of Harry Dean Stanton's passing away shortly after. It was worth the wait. Harry Dean plays an ornery old cuss, with a supporting cast that includes David Lynch. It reminded me of both The Straight Story and Smoke, as like those films, characters muse on the meaning of life, with amusing and poignant results. A fitting epitaph for the great Harry Dean. RIP.

Mardroid

The Predator

It's not very good. [spoiler] That whole business of the initial predators arm brace spitting out tech when the character needed it was kinda deus ex machina-ish. The cloaking-device is contained in a small ball that just pops out by pressing random buttons instead of properly integrated into a piece of armour?[/spoiler]* It was rather silly, and certain plot points made little sense, or were poorly explained.

That being said, I really enjoyed the film. It was a lot of fun. Unlike Predators (which I also quite enjoyed, to be fair) it wasn't that similar to the first film. It did something different.

*Actually thinking about it,[spoiler][spoiler the modularity of the tech does make sense from an easy replacement maintenance POV, but predator security is really rubbish. This is also illustrated at the end when the main hero slides around the flying vessel through an open doorway. Yes, I know there was a forcefield (which he'd ducked under)but even with force field capabilities, I'd want a shut door if I was flying into space wouldn't you? What if the forcefield fails?[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

I researched PREDATORS yesterday. It was more fun than I remembered.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Went to The Predator and had a great time. It's very silly but very fun and me and my other half were laughing throughout. Turning the franchise into an all-out action comedy doesn't seem to have paid off given the reception to it, but we had a real hoot. Cast were great, dialogue was snappy and witty and it had some great splattery kills, even if the action is quite messy and unreadable at times (at least one major death went completely unnoticed by us until we looked it up online after the fact...we were really confused about where that character had gotten to!).

Can see why if it didn't click with people they might hate it, but we kind of loved it to be honest.

Bad City Blue

I enjoyed The Predator, but felt it could have been tighter in a narrative sense. Missed quite a few lines in mumbling, too.

I liked tghe snappy dialogue, but that's Shane Black all over.

The biggest cock up was the Predator Dogs, which were unnecessary and behaved illogically.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

GordyM

I tried to enjoy The Predator for what it was but when the Predator did comedy hijinks (the bit with the decapitated arm giving the thumbs up) I checked out.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

dweezil2

Yep The Predator was pretty execrable!

Uneven pacing, incoherent plotting, inexplicable antagonists that become allies because, well, the plot demands it and to top it all some of the poorest eye rollingly bad dialogue in a long time.
In the plus column-the first 15 minutes showed promise.
A complete mess and I expected far better from Shane Black.

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

von Boom

Predator. The original. Simply fantastic 80s sci-fi action. I probably won't bother with the new comedy version.

Hawkmumbler

Ran (1985) Dir. Akira Kurosawa

Kurosawas opus. His last, great masterpiece, among many. A sprawling country wide, Game of Thrones-esque political thriller of a despot king and his three sons, both sending up to the ancient 'Three Arrows' pathos and to King Lear in a glorious display of technicolour, tribal ferocity, and espionage. Highly recommended to the point i'd say if you where to watch any other movie for the first time this year, make it Ran.

Simply superb.

Apestrife

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 September, 2018, 02:24:48 PM
Ran (1985) Dir. Akira Kurosawa

Kurosawas opus. His last, great masterpiece, among many. A sprawling country wide, Game of Thrones-esque political thriller of a despot king and his three sons, both sending up to the ancient 'Three Arrows' pathos and to King Lear in a glorious display of technicolour, tribal ferocity, and espionage. Highly recommended to the point i'd say if you where to watch any other movie for the first time this year, make it Ran.

Simply superb.

One of my absolute favorite films. I almost tear up everytime I watch this fan trailer of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbbfDntoRRk

Seen Kagemusha?

Apestrife

Shin Godzilla (2016)

Godzilla, acting like a stand in for the Fukushima disaster, attacks Tokyo and politicians try to act. Much like the recent Fury Road, Twin Peaks: The return and Blade Runner 2049 I found myself liking it much more than I thought I would. The first part of the film has a lovely weirdness to it, which is then undone by the destruction of the city. A tone shift the film carries magnifiently. Which is especially impressive since the perspective is that of politicians in what often feels like a parody of how the Fukishima incident was handled.

I really recommend this one. I cannot wait to watch it again. So much more than just a big monster movie :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6BIrQPNo-8