Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

The kids absolutely ruin War of the Worlds for me.
There's loads I really like about the film but I gnash my teeth every time that bloody kid wants to stop the car and then walk about half a mile for a piss.
If aliens had invaded when I was a kid I'd have pissed myself in the car.

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, definitely annoying, particularly the teenager. I think that's another thing that put me off the film initially.

However, on second viewing (well, probably fifth viewing now) I can see why Spielberg included them. He needed a hook other than just a bloke wandering around experiencing the horror. There had to be a goal (get the kids to Boston), and a sense of jeopardy (protect the kids).

I think they were also essential for the character arc. He was clearly seen as useless and unreliable, and this pained him, particularly when the brother and sister turned to each other for comfort, cutting their father out altogether, right in front of him.

As the film progressed, this relationship changed, firstly 'cos the son cleared off, but then also when he had to kill the dude in the cellar to keep his daughter safe. Then she went to him to give him comfort after he sat there on the stairs shell shocked from having to take a person's life. This showed recognition of what he needed then, but also that he was a father prepared to go to any lengths to protect his child.

I think they were irritating, but perhaps made to be deliberately so. We may not have connected to Cruise's character otherwise.

pictsy

Capricorn One

What I find interesting about this film is its parallel to the fake moon landing conspiracy.  When I read the synopsis of the plot I thought that maybe they were inspired by the conspiracy theory, but looking into it I can say that isn't the case.  The script was written and film began production before the first instance of theory was published.  It's also too close to say (even tongue-in-cheek) that the conspiracy theory came from the film.  It's just kinda weird.

The film itself is okay.  Very silly.  I thought it was meant to be comedy at times and that wasn't due to joke telling astronaut.  There was some good dialogue, it served its premise well enough and things threaded together into a logical conclusion.

wedgeski

Quote from: pictsy on 11 June, 2020, 10:24:09 AM
Capricorn One

What I find interesting about this film is its parallel to the fake moon landing conspiracy.  When I read the synopsis of the plot I thought that maybe they were inspired by the conspiracy theory, but looking into it I can say that isn't the case.  The script was written and film began production before the first instance of theory was published.  It's also too close to say (even tongue-in-cheek) that the conspiracy theory came from the film.  It's just kinda weird.
I have no doubt whatsoever that fake landing conspiracy theories were doing the rounds by mid-late 1970's.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Anyone seen Underwater?

I've a voucher for a movie download and was thinking this might be worth a watching?
Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2020, 10:31:27 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 11 June, 2020, 10:24:09 AM
Capricorn One

I have no doubt whatsoever that fake landing conspiracy theories were doing the rounds by mid-late 1970's.

The script was finished in '72 and the first published instance (and likely progenitor) of the conspiracy theory was '76.  The writer of the film didn't seem to bring up the conspiracy theories when talking about the film, his motivations being more for commentary.  I think it's just a weird coincidence.  I would like to think one inspired the other, but that doesn't seem entirely credible.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 June, 2020, 10:52:29 AM
Anyone seen Underwater?

I've a voucher for a movie download and was thinking this might be worth a watching?

I liked it a lot, but got the impression nobody else did particularly! A big criticism seems to be that it's a bit too reminiscent of other sci-fi horrors from way back in the day, but I personally saw that as a plus because I have a bottomless appetite for that sort of thing. Results may vary!

Had another Star Wars Wednesday yesterday and watched episodes 7-9. Nothing new to be said about those under the sun I'm sure, but I had a great time and enjoyed it immensely. Has been great watching through them all and now I've run out of Star Wars films I'll need to find something else, maybe time to do a big Star Trek movie rewatch seeing as I can't remember which couple I missed at the time!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yeah, I really really liked Underwater. Its a paranoid monster movie, that is never less than thrilling, has one or two really standout moments, and a surprise thing that turns up at a surprising time to give you a surprise, which depending on your reaction to early twentieth century and contemporary pop culture will either thrill you to the bottom of your socks, or make you go "meh". I squealed a little and did a little bounce.

Very much want a sequel.

SBT

Apestrife

A double bill of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. Had a blast watching these. A real good time. First time for both. Surprised how different they they were from the 1st and it's remake. I also know now where all those 90:s shooters got their brilliant onliners from  :D

pictsy

Quote from: Apestrife on 12 June, 2020, 05:35:20 AM
A double bill of Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. Had a blast watching these. A real good time. First time for both. Surprised how different they they were from the 1st and it's remake. I also know now where all those 90:s shooters got their brilliant onliners from  :D

Two fantastically entertaining films.  I have intended on watching the remake but never got around to it.  The first two seasons of Ash vs. the Evil Dead are pretty good as well (didn't watch the third).

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Such a silly film.  It's still enjoyable.  I did watch it, in part, because of the Face the Music trailer.  Sadly I'm not left with much optimism for a third film.  I'm not seeing what a third film, 30 years on, can bring to the table.  Also, am I the only one that think Keanu Reeves seems perpetually sad.  There is some deep melancholy about him as a person.  It is completely absent from Excellent Adventure but it's in most of the stuff I've seen him in since, including in person stuff.  My brother reckons it might have something to do with River Phoenix's death.

Keef Monkey

Bliss on Shudder. I like Joe Begos a lot from his appearances at Frightfest, he's always a very likeable and entertaining chap. Saying that I've yet to really love one of his films, (Almost Human was pretty dull and although I really like VFW even that had really murky and difficult to follow action - still to watch The Mind's Eye which I hear is pretty good though).

This again had things I really liked (one painting sequence in particular has some incredible score and is genuinely hypnotically intense and brilliant) but it feels like a long time to spend with what are, to be honest, the kind of characters you'd find too annoying to spend 5 minutes with if you got cornered by them in the pub. Overall it just feels like it's trying too hard to be grimy and edgy but when it does occasionally loosen up it's quite impressive, so maybe worth a watch for the good stuff if it's your kind of thing.

Bolt-01

Artemis Fowl on that there Disney+.

Oh, dear. I think there might be a good film in there, but the one released isn't it.

It came to something when the part I feared the most - Josh Gadd playing the mightly Mulch Diggums - was a highlight of the film.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 13 June, 2020, 11:03:48 AM
Artemis Fowl on that there Disney+.

Oh, dear. I think there might be a good film in there, but the one released isn't it.

It came to something when the part I feared the most - Josh Gadd playing the mightly Mulch Diggums - was a highlight of the film.

pictsy

Speaking of Disney

National Treasure

This film is stupid.  Nicolas Cage is so aghast and offended at the idea of stealing the American Declaration of Independence that he ends up stealing the American Declaration of Independence.  The rest of the film is pretty dumb anyway and I wasn't expecting anything other than dumb, but that plot point is so fucking moronic.  On the plus side, Sean Bean survived a film.

My god it was stupid.

Bolt-01