Main Menu

Hammer DVDs

Started by satchmo, 12 February, 2009, 01:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

satchmo

I've noticed that quite a few of the earlier Hammer Horror's seem to be ridiculously out of print and expensive on DVD, especially Curse of Frankenstein. Does anyone know if there is a boxset or re-release coming out or anything, or should I just hit Region One?

Dark Jimbo

Unfortunately, there's never likely to be a single, definitive box-set release for the Hammers, as during the 60s, 70s, and 80s the distribution rights were farmed out to a multitude of different companies. Some companies now have acsess to certain films, but not others, which is why the DVD releases are so scattershot and have no uniform design or schedule - and also means certain unscrupulous persons take advatage of this by buying up plenty of each film every time there's a re-release, then flogging them for exorbitant prices knowing some luckless Hammer fans will be so desperate to get their hands on them that they'll pay up.

I see what you mean about Curse of Frankenstein, for instance, which boggles my mind because I only bought that same edition for a fiver off Amazon about two years ago!

Most of the films get reasonably priced re-releases every few years - it's just a matter of playing the waiting game then grabbing them quick while they're around!
@jamesfeistdraws

satchmo

Thanks for that info Jimbo, thats a big help. There's a double bill of Curse and Horror of Dracula on region one, I reckon that is my best option at the minute. I'm glad I got the Early Hammer boxset when I did, I've seen it for insane prices recently!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "satchmo"I'm glad I got the Early Hammer boxset when I did, I've seen it for insane prices recently!

I know - I kept meaning to get around to getting that box set, but kept balking at the £25 pound price label - now I'm not likely to get it for less than £60!
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

Incidentally, I don't know if you're aware of this box-set -

//http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Hammer-Collection-Disc-Box/dp/B000HN31KQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235058258&sr=8-2

It's a bit of an odd and fairly mismatched collection, for the same reasons I gave above (they've obviously only got access to certain of the films), and contains some of their very worst (Prehistoric Women, Scars of Dracula, Horror of Frankenstein, Viking Queen) alongside some of their very best (Blood from the Mummy's Tomb, Dracula Prince of Darkness, Plague of Zombies, Quatermass and the Pit) - but it's still a great starting point for a Hammer DVD collection.
@jamesfeistdraws

DavidXBrunt

You might also want to check your local charity shops. Most PDSA shops have spinner racks of new, remaindered dvds and a few months ago a fair few Hammer titles turned up at my local branches.

satchmo

Yeah I got that one fairly recently, it has quite a few I haven't seen before. And 30 quid for 21 Hammer films is a bargain!
Shame about the Early Hammer, if you ever want to lend The Four Sided Triangle, it's pretty good...

satchmo

I will try that thanks David.

satchmo

HMV have some Hammer stuff in their sale, I got Dracula AD 1972 today for 3 quid. Also got the brilliant Horror Express for the same price...

Wils

We got Horror Express a while ago and it's cracking stuff. Casting Telly Savalas as a Cossack is one of the most bonkers things ever.

Other gems we've got in HMV for £3 are The Valley of Gwangi and The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. Harryhausentastic!

Btw, Satch, I've still got those Dark Shadows things I promised you ages ago. I'll dig them out and send them on to you. Sorry for being so slack!

satchmo

Cheers Wils that's great! I've still got those Dredd grundies for you too...
In Hammer news, I got a region one Curse of Frankenstein for a fiver, which actually turned out to be region free. (just like the Dark Shadows DVDS in fact.)

Wils

Cheers. I'd forgotten all about them! Your description of the pants of justice made me think of this, though. ;)

Goaty

I would like dvd of Dracula (1958), is it out there? it got best classic scene at end, with that Peter Cushing as Doctor Van Helsing run down the table and jump to catch the curtain!

M.I.K.

Quote from: "Goaty"I would like dvd of Dracula (1958), is it out there? it got best classic scene at end, with that Peter Cushing as Doctor Van Helsing run down the table and jump to catch the curtain!

There's a bit in that scene where some books get knocked over and it's obvious they've been glued together.

DavidXBrunt

Strange co-incidence this. The world is made of them. Last Thursday, bout 3 am, I was doing some paperwork and looking for something to have on in the background. Hammer House of Horror was on Itv 3 or 4 or some such and a look at the cast list showed it had Angela Bruse in it so that was what I watched. The episode was Charley boy and it had a few familiar faces, such as the sidekick from Dick Turpin and that fellah who always takes off a German. Good enough, and I love anthology shows. Glad I chose it, I enjoued it.

Got home about 8 am and couldn't sleep. Reading the latest DWm there was an article about a Davison story with a boxout telling you what genre programmes the cast had appeared in. Janet Fielding was mentioned, and it pointed out she had appeared in...Charley boy.

Annoyed not to have spotted her I went about my day. On one of my regular mooches I spotted a box of Hammer House of Horror dvds. The price? 4.99. It had to be mine.