Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 May, 2021, 03:38:46 PM
Finally saw the business end of a (first) needle this morning (Moderna, if anyone is keeping score - thanks Dolly!  :thumbsup:), in the truly impressive Citywest Conference Centre location

That's where I was last week to get my Covid test (thankfully negative, hence the subsequent vaccination at my GP's).

Imagine if someone told you a couple of years back a pandemic would soon close down the hotels and huge tents would be erected outside them for mass virus testing - you'd have been absolutely terrified.

In fact it was all quite a pleasant and friendly experience - I even met one of my old students who was working there and had a nice catching-up chat.  The stick up the nose for five seconds wasn't pleasant, mind you.

Anyway great to hear you're vaxxed up and ready to go, TB.  Particularly heartening for me, as you were the first person to make me really realise how serious this was all going to be when you started the Covid thread.  Glad you're sorted too, Funt.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

maryanddavid

Got my second jab on Tuesday, its really weird how it shifted my mindset. Dont get me wrong , masks and sanitisers still going but now looking forward to the summer, instead of an underlying fear of catching it at work and bringing it home.

sheridan

While we're sharing experiences - I walked to the Excel Centre (currently rebranded as the Nightingale Hospital) and got pointed in the direction of the temporary rooms in the main hall - yes the same place that many of those reading this will have been gone to for various comic conventions.  Once that was all done we walked back home, via the local supermarket.

Don't think I've mentioned it on forum before, but I wasn't born or brought up anywhere near where I now live (born over 50 miles away and lived between 100 and 200 miles away at various times).  Despite this, it turned out (after we'd put on offer in on the place) that my dad lived a few streets away.  He literally went to school five minutes from where I now live.

Then a week or two later we skyped dad and did some family history and found out I'd walked past the (site of the) road that my great-grandad was born in a hundred and ten years ago and where pretty close to where other ancestors live in the 1910s and 1920s - remember, it's not like I knew that my family had any connection to this area!  Oh, and as you can imagine from the location of the Excel Centre, this area was pretty badly hit in the blitz.  In fact, I've found an aerial picture of the streets around where I live (including the house we live in).  The photo was taken from a German bomber, with two more German bombers in the frame...

Proudhuff

Quote from: sheridan on 27 May, 2021, 05:52:44 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 27 May, 2021, 03:43:30 PM
Second Jag yesterday, no side effect, all good!! and a week's hols next week.

Second Jag?  What are you, a deputy prime minister?

:lol: Nope, Scottish: so its a jag not a jab (which is a punch). Jags are prickly things little thistles, bunnets or jumpers
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 29 May, 2021, 12:20:31 AM
... The photo was taken from a German bomber, with two more German bombers in the frame...

Terrific true life tale, Sheridan Psychogeography a-go-go.

Barrington Boots

We were out for a walk yesterday and found a slow worm on the riverside path. I haven't seen one of these since I was a boy and Mrs. Boots had never seen one ever. Gorgeous little thing - we made sure it got into the undergrowth safely as there's a lot of bikes that take that route.

Then on the way home we were actually attacked by a gigantic crow. My first time being attacked by a bird and hopefully my last as it's actually quite scary.

Nature rules!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Hawkmumbler

I say this here because it is just 'sort of' OK that I just signed off on a mortgage and bought (a share of) my first property. Its not an ideal set up, but is more secure than renting and at an equal or slightly less monthly cost.

Yay! Responsibilities that are my own for a change!

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 10 June, 2021, 09:04:21 PM
I say this here because it is just 'sort of' OK that I just signed off on a mortgage and bought (a share of) my first property. Its not an ideal set up, but is more secure than renting and at an equal or slightly less monthly cost.

Congratulations - though as many media outlets may claim, when you have problems around the house you're going to have to deal with them yourself *

* only kidding - like the average landlord ever deals with issues with their property anyway!

p.s. do you have a garden?  Ours has really helped us get through lockdown for the last year.

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 29 May, 2021, 01:25:20 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 27 May, 2021, 05:52:44 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 27 May, 2021, 03:43:30 PM
Second Jag yesterday, no side effect, all good!! and a week's hols next week.

Second Jag?  What are you, a deputy prime minister?

:lol: Nope, Scottish: so its a jag not a jab (which is a punch). Jags are prickly things little thistles, bunnets or jumpers

Thanks for the linguistics lesson - I'd thought it was a typo!

Love hearing about the Scots terms - particularly as I spent much of my childhood reading a comic which frequently featured Scots in-jokes in about two thirds of the stories (because they were written by John Wagner and Alan Grant).  I still wonder how many I'm missing!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 11 June, 2021, 08:45:42 AM

Congratulations - though as many media outlets may claim, when you have problems around the house you're going to have to deal with them yourself *

* only kidding - like the average landlord ever deals with issues with their property anyway!

p.s. do you have a garden?  Ours has really helped us get through lockdown for the last year.

No garden as its a flat but there is a communal garden space with allotments you can choose for your own growing needs. Honestly the money isn't that much of an issue and the landlords seem alright folks (keeping the jury very much out on that one) so fingers crossed it goes alright. Certainly the extra costs of living with be sufficiently equaled by the much easier (and cheaper) commute.

von Boom

Congrats, Hawks! My wife and I did the same thing last autumn. Our landlord suddenly decided to sell and we were forced out. We said enough of this and bought our first every place. No more landlord to be beholdened to any more. Now the mortgage company owns us for the next twenty or so years. Sigh.

Colin YNWA

Congratulations Hawkmumbler - hope the move goes (went) okay. I remember loving my first flat so much when i first moved in. Hope yours brings you as much joy.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: von Boom on 11 June, 2021, 02:04:28 PM

Congrats, Hawks! My wife and I did the same thing last autumn. Our landlord suddenly decided to sell and we were forced out. We said enough of this and bought our first every place. No more landlord to be beholdened to any more. Now the mortgage company owns us for the next twenty or so years. Sigh.

Better than a poxy landlord owning you forever...

Congrats Hawk! Great news.  I've been on my boat for four years - it's small and needs constant maintenance, but it's mine and I've never looked back.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

ah good news mate, glad the signing off went through ok.

Barbie at yours this summer?  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

Too kind, all. Really now isn't an ideal time to become a first time home owner, but then no time since 2008 or, indeed, ever has been a good time. Fortunately my meh day job just gave me a promotion and I recently picked up a second job, plus a modest side income through prose and article draftsmanship. I'll manage.
And if ever Manchester has a comic con that doesn't suck any and all squaxx are welcome.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 June, 2021, 10:13:35 PM
ah good news mate, glad the signing off went through ok.

Barbie at yours this summer?  :lol:

No room for a barbie in the flat but my new abode is in Salford Quays so many a pint and, if the social gardens allow, maybe a BBQ is indeed possible, lol.