Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Not keen on cream in quiche. It's supposed to be savoury, not sweet.

House of Usher

Furthermore, if you have a low fat diet, cream in savoury cooking (as opposed to sweet) will go right through you more often than not.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

My sister only got a 2:2 so I beat her, but that was to be expected.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Minkyboy

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Roger Godpleton

The Siegel family won some stuff off WB in court. Nice for them, I suppose.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Satanist

I just started reading my son the first Dredd case file as a bedtime story and he loved it. I can see this turning into a regular thang.  ;D   
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

House of Usher

My students got their GCSE results yesterday. 10 out of the 14 who actually took an exam in psychology, sociology or English literature passed with a 'C' or better. One got an 'A' in psychology. Two got 'B's in Sociology or English Lit.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome, which pretty much lives up to my predictions and justifies some of the effort I went to beyond the call of duty, not to mention reflects well on the work some of the students put in who aren't well versed in the habits of school level exam study, many having left school more than twenty years previously with nothing.

The chief disappointment is that a further 7 registered for their exam but didn't take it, and a further 2 were capable of doing the exam but didn't complete their course. Something to work on for next year, but you know what they say: you can lead a horse to water, etc.

All in all, I'm taking this as a good result and hoping for better to come.  :)

A      B      B      C      C      C      C      C      C      C
STRIKE !!!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: House of Usher on 14 August, 2009, 04:06:39 PM
Furthermore, if you have a low fat diet, cream in savoury cooking (as opposed to sweet) will go right through you more often than not.

My diet is so low-fat that it's now essentially self-enforcing -- I can't even eat a bag of chips these days ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Well done that Usher.  I only taught very briefly, but even I take a probably-unjustified pride in the subsequent achievements of my handful of former students.  One of my archaeology/local history students now runs historic bus tours, and according to my Dad (a  tour guide himself) isn't half bad.   At least two others went on to work as archaeologists, and another works in the heritage centre at Newgrange.  Probably despite my inept ramblings truth be told, but still, I can pretend!    

House of Usher

Cheers!  :D
Of course it's their achievement, not mine, but I like to think I had a hand in it. Plus, the bosses will presumably be taking note.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

...it's been a good week.

By midnight on Tuesday I'd spent three days doing job applications, for three pretty smart jobs too. That'll keep the Job Centre happy, and there's even a chance I might get an interview out of it or even, by some miracle, a new job.

Today a hard drive caddy arrived in the post, and I was able to recover all the files off my busted laptop. I may be able to reinstall the operating system later.

My neighbours were out today so I was able to finish the job of chasing in the few remaining bits of wiring not concealed during previous renovation efforts. Very noisy, dirty work that blasts out sooty black mortar all over the place. That's the last of that bar drilling out to install 4 metal boxes, so won't have to tiptoe around the neighbours any more. They've been very understanding.

And tonight I'm out to dinner with herself as a reward for all the heavy, dirty work I've put in lately. Fnarr. Not that she hasn't been doing her fair share and more, burning off and sanding down the woodwork.

It's a great relief to have good all the preparation out of the way for the last decorating job after a 6-year slog.

;D
STRIKE !!!

uncle fester

6 years?!  :o

Fair play to you for sticking it out. So to speak.

Dandontdare

Quote from: House of Usher on 02 September, 2009, 07:20:13 PM
Not that she hasn't been doing her fair share and more, burning off and sanding down the woodwork.

Sorry I've just been reading the inuendo thread and I can't read anything innocently any more!

House of Usher

Quote from: Dandontdare on 02 September, 2009, 07:32:55 PM
Sorry I've just been reading the inuendo thread and I can't read anything innocently any more!

You've no idea how long I worked on that sentence to make it that innocuous! I thought it was far enough away from "sandpapering the wood" (ouch!) as to be incapable of being read ambiguously.
STRIKE !!!

Odd_Bloke

...we got burgled last night, but all they got was £50 of stamps and a digital camera.