Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: faplad on 10 September, 2009, 10:56:03 PM
Red Dawn saw me accused of plagiarism in year 7 of school. Yes, I was 11 and I was being accused of plagiarism. I didn't even know what the word meant. I'd written a story called, wait for it, The Schoolboy Squad for English class in which my classmates and I went into hiding and fought a guerilla war against a joint German/Japanese invasion which saw troops parachuting into our school. I even had one of the maths teachers (of Korean descent) being a spy for the invaders.

My teacher made it abundantly clear that a) it was completely unnacceptable to copy the plots of films and b)that I shuldn't be watching that kind of film anyway.

At no point did this teacher make it clear that it was also unacceptable to infer a person's collaboration with an invading force because they were from a vaguely similar geographical area?

Or did I just read this wrong and that wasn't what you inferred at all?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: SamuelAWilkinson on 22 September, 2009, 06:26:31 PM
Quote from: faplad on 10 September, 2009, 10:56:03 PM
Red Dawn saw me accused of plagiarism in year 7 of school. Yes, I was 11 and I was being accused of plagiarism. I didn't even know what the word meant. I'd written a story called, wait for it, The Schoolboy Squad for English class in which my classmates and I went into hiding and fought a guerilla war against a joint German/Japanese invasion which saw troops parachuting into our school. I even had one of the maths teachers (of Korean descent) being a spy for the invaders.

My teacher made it abundantly clear that a) it was completely unnacceptable to copy the plots of films and b)that I shuldn't be watching that kind of film anyway.

At no point did this teacher make it clear that it was also unacceptable to infer a person's collaboration with an invading force because they were from a vaguely similar geographical area?

Or did I just read this wrong and that wasn't what you inferred at all?

No, you read it absolutely correctly. In my defence I was raised by ill informed bigots (I know better now) but you're right, its something the teacher should have picked up on and didn't. I guess English teachers have their priorities.

Either that or she was as much an ill informed bigot as my Mother and her boyfriend.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

COMMANDO FORCES

I had a Mars Bar ice cream for pudding after tea tonight. The splitters had Cornetto's!

Dandontdare

Newsreaders have funny names.

My favourites are Fenella Fudge on Radio 2, and ITN's Nina Nannar, who sounds like she's doing a police car impression when she signs off.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 September, 2009, 11:53:49 PM
Newsreaders have funny names.

My favourites are Fenella Fudge on Radio 2, and ITN's Nina Nannar, who sounds like she's doing a police car impression when she signs off.

Is it Flenella or Fenella ?

I always think its Vanilla anyway.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Kerrin

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 September, 2009, 11:53:49 PMFenella Fudge on Radio 2

Even though I must have heard that hundreds of times it still makes me chuckle. Do you think she became a Fudge through marriage or her parents actually called her Fenella with malice aforethought?

Trout

There are Colin Berry and some guy called Salmon, too, on Radio 2. Delicious.

- Trout

vzzbux

Wasn't Fenella the witch from Charlton and the Wheelies.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Roger Godpleton

I've just been reading some old (1970s) Teen Titans stories. There was a bit where Hawk, Dove and Speedy fight a robot spider and it collapses on them, and they have to free themselves using only their own strength (sound familiar?) When they get free Hank says "first time I was almost buried by a spider, man!" Geddit?

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TordelBack

I once worked for a brace of architects named Buggy and Bettlestone.  It was impossible to keep a straight face.

SuperSurfer

Man, just got back from dentist. Quite nerve wracking. Root canal work. I kept my eyes shut for fear of seeing the tools that were being used ie a Swan Morton which I am all to familiar with for work. Can't say I really felt much but it was the anticipation of pain that scared me. But that is one heavy appointment out of the way, so another visit next week.

Talk about lesson learnt.

Will calm my nerves now by trying to finish my competition entry.

uncle fester

Hey, it's also Friday so that must help smooth over your trauma?

vzzbux

I can feel a huge hole in one of my back molars with my tongue, it doesn't hurt, but why didn't the dentist pick anything up last month when I had my check up? The nightmares I have heard about teeth being yanked out of the mouth (shudder).
shit wrong thread,ah well.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: vzzbux on 28 September, 2009, 01:51:41 PMWasn't Fenella the witch from Charlton and the Wheelies.
...because you've reminded me of the welsh witch in the teapot. 

And because I'm off down the road for a chicken shish kebab with extra red cabbage and lemon juice, no chilli sause and an extra pitta.  Oh yes.  Mmmmmmmm.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

House of Usher

...gerbils!  ;D

After taking Deborah's laptop in for fixing (graphics card? maybe!) we went and had a look at the gerbils in Pets at Home. There were three of them, all different colours. If we weren't broke and in the middle of decorating, we'd have bought all three and a gerbil cage right there and then! Another project/minor purchase to put on the back burner. Along with getting a rabbit next summer.

We had a look at all the little fish in the fish tanks too. They were pretty. Not cute like gerbils or rabbits though.
STRIKE !!!