Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 06 August, 2013, 09:44:43 PM
Very jell Shaolin - haven't seen them since '08 at Twickenham stadium where (for some convoluted reason) I got free tickets :O

That was my last Maiden gig too.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Albion on 10 August, 2013, 09:14:27 PM
Very jell Shaolin - haven't seen them since '08 at Twickenham stadium where (for some convoluted reason) I got free tickets :O

Similar reasons? Or did you not enjoy it as much?

Albion

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 11 August, 2013, 11:01:59 AM
Quote from: Albion on 10 August, 2013, 09:14:27 PM

Similar reasons? Or did you not enjoy it as much?

It was my least enjoyable Maiden gig due to poor seats but that's not why I haven't seen them since. Just haven't got round to it. I'd have loved to have gone to the O2 show but having gone to a couple of expensive gigs not that long before it wasn't really possible.
I have seen them a few times over the years. Not sure which was my favourite but Donington '88 was awesome and another fave was one of the Clive Burr charity gigs at Brixton.
Always entertaining and I hope to see them again sometime.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Ancient Otter

The Eurozone is apparently out of recession...I think maybe now is the time to ask my bank for a 100% mortage on a badly built three-bedroom semi-detached house in a soon-to-be slum estate in the back-end of nowhere... (Not really, I don't think I'll ever be in a position to buy a house)

Frank

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 14 August, 2013, 07:24:03 PM
I don't think I'll ever be in a position to buy a house

Home ownership is overrated, Otter. I've just spent my day off listening to double glazing salesmen talking utter pish - I seem to know as much as them about the benefits of composite vs UPVC from spending half an hour googling. The first gimp I spoke to gave me a quote of £3,200 for a front door and a small kitchen window.

TordelBack

Just had a very enjoyable week of camping, racing and just sailing, culminating in pogoing to the Sultans of Ping at 5am with a dozen very silly people crammed into the back a pimp-my-ride-style transit van.  Mirrored tiles and carpeted ceiling obligatory.

Pathetic attempts to recapture an imagined youth aside, the 'sort of okay' part of the week was realising during the prize-giving meal that a sport-related gathering largely middle-aged folk and their young families seamlessly incorporated a good number of openly gay/lesbian couples, some of them married, all of them well-liked members of the group.  Is this the Ireland of my childhood?  Is it feck.  Onwards and upwards.

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2013, 01:43:04 PM
Just had a very enjoyable week of camping, racing and just sailing, culminating in pogoing to the Sultans of Ping at 5am

Marry me.

Tiplodocus

Booked a week in the sun in Spain to make up for Tiny Tips having a broken arm all summer.  Managed to squeeze four of us onto return flights for less than £400.  We are staying rent free at a mates apartment in Spain and seeing as we are flying in and out of Manchistoh, I get to catch up with some of my old muckers as  well.

Maybe this should be on the fantastic thread.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

maryanddavid

Proudhuff

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...Tips is leaving the country for a week.

;)
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Been actively struggling to broaden/healthify the family's diet for over a year now, battling fussy little prima donnas, an ever-shrinking budget and no culinary skill whatsoever.

After coming close to despair on a number of occasions, this evening I watched the savages completely clean their plates of my baked sort-of-cannelloni (which is basically pasta with spinach, tomato, onion (all our own), various half-fat cheeses, nutmeg, pepper, and garlic, i.e. moderately healthy veggie stuff, no added salt or sugar or whatnot), and then squabble over seconds.  I've been fiddling with this recipe for so long now in an effort to get everyone to eat it and bring it in on budget (I use conchiglioni rather than actual cannelloni tubes, less than half the price) that I almost didn't notice that I've succeeded.

Adding this to my already-successful seafood paella and my wild mushroom risotto and I'm feeling like I'm starting to get somewhere.  Now if anyone other than my mother-in-law would eat my olive bread...

Proudhuff

Glad its not just me there TB, Years of going: pot, plate, bucket. pot, plate, bucket. pot, plate, bucket tires the very soul.
I gave up on stuffing cannaloni tubes and simply softened lasanga sheets and made parcels by crossing one sheet over another then folding them in, saved a lot o time then cover that in sauce  :D
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 12 September, 2013, 08:15:31 PM
Years of going: pot, plate, bucket. pot, plate, bucket. pot, plate, bucket tires the very soul.

It is genuinely soul-crushing, isn't it?  My daughter (just turned 4) loves to control every situation she's in, so dinner time is the perfect arena to bend the family to her will - half the time she hasn't even seen the plate and her face is already scrunching up and reddening ready to yowl 'but I don't l-i-i-i-huh-ke this'.  At least my son generally has the good grace to quietly deconstruct his meal and shuffle the ingredients into 'eat'/'don't eat' piles.  Either way at least I'm long past the angry, wheedling or conciliatory stages: they eat it or they go hungry, and I rethink for next time.

Still, this year I've got them both to eat metric tonnes of broccoli and spinach, plus palate-broadening stuff like mussels from the shell, squid (I know I shouldn't), foraged wild mushrooms and even rock samphire.  I've cut their beloved beef burgers with over 50% carrot and onion and they haven't even noticed, and I do a bolognese that's on only nodding acquaintance with a bullock.

This takes the edge off knowing that the dog often eats better than they do.  Good tip on the lasagne sheets.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 September, 2013, 10:48:56 PM
...they eat it or they go hungry...

Quite right, this is how I was raised, and this was in the time before microwaves were a common feature of kitchens. It was better to eat it while it was hot than to kick up a fuss and then have to eat it when it went cold.
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Mister Pops on 12 September, 2013, 10:56:41 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 12 September, 2013, 10:48:56 PM
...they eat it or they go hungry...

Quite right, this is how I was raised, and this was in the time before microwaves were a common feature of kitchens. It was better to eat it while it was hot than to kick up a fuss and then have to eat it when it went cold.

Damn straight!  Occasionally I ram the point home by saying if they don't eat it they can have it cold for breakfast. The look on their faces when I present them with it at the breakfast table is priceless.

You gotta show the little blighters who's boss - the moment you start negotiating you've lost!