Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats everyone reading?  (Read 839164 times)

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
Re: Whats everyone reading?
« Reply #7005 on: 28 November, 2021, 11:09:10 PM »
hey barrington, thanks for the kind words. i'm only about a quarter way through and i've slowed right down, sighing at the opening ... this will be a lifetime thing.
i guess i still love the conceit and the potential. but some very fine writers (and some very average writers) have clearly agreed a template from which they must not veer. i dunno ... there are many great books and movies that only come alive at the end and so i perhaps foolishly still have hope. but so far each book could probably be summarised in a short paragraph - and many of those summaries would be near identical ...

Barrington Boots

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:22:57 AM »
...some very fine writers (and some very average writers) have clearly agreed a template from which they must not veer....

This I think is the crux of it - these guys are writing to a template, and it means very few of the books rise above a sort of bland mush of bolters and serious men banging on about duty.
I've read some of the Primarch books and they're kinda the same too. I'm not sure what the best Black Library book I've read is... Drachenfels is a contender for sure, but where 40k is concerned I can't think of many that stand out.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rs_jr

• New Arrival
  • Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: 06 December, 2021, 01:46:30 AM »
is the Asterix hachette english collection still happening ?

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: 06 December, 2021, 06:26:15 AM »
is the Asterix hachette english collection still happening ?

Oh I gave up hope on that some time ago. Haven't heard anything new for ... years... it was first floated before the pandemic wasn't it?

Rara Avis

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: 10 December, 2021, 06:00:22 AM »
Purity by Jonathan Franzen. I may have mentioned it before but I am still plugging away at this, really starting to enjoy it though .. it's all coming together (rubs hands gleefully).

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: 11 December, 2021, 01:02:31 AM »
well, if you like superlative magical realism and a gut wrenchingly emotional novel partly narrated by a fig tree, the island of missing trees by the great elif shafak should be your destination.
i'm enraptured by it, and it's soo much better than my words above probably suggest.
book of the year? almost.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: 23 December, 2021, 08:02:11 PM »
SLEEPER vol 1 by Brubaker and Phillips.

I genuinely wasn't expecting supers in this (so much so that I kept looking at one of the first images and thinking "Phillips has got the perspective all wrong. It looks like those two are flying...") But they are a welcome addition to the double crossing, femme fatales and bad ass bad guys.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: 09 January, 2022, 07:26:21 PM »
Daredevil Yellow

A rather poignant story of Daredevil's earliest days, told in one big flashback. How Matt lost his Dad, how he met Karen Page, how his friendship with Foggy Nelson suffered a crisis, the latter falling in love with Karen etc. Owl has a minor role, but manages to utter perhaps the cheesiest, stupid, yet amusingly cracking line I ever heard from a supervillain. Mosaically constructed plot overshadows coherence of the same, but I find the story quite easy to follow. And could be interesting read for newcomers.
I think it was decent for rain afternoon, but I cannot stomach Loeb's dry prose and less Sale's impressionist art.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:26:15 PM »
I think I've done one of those bad comic things. Those things you shouldn't do, you know you shouldn't do, you feel bad you did it... but you have to accept it.

I've read Mister X: The Archives. All 14 issues of the Vortex series and a load of other material...

...reading it isn't the bad thing.

Not liking it is.

I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. I remember liking the bit I read as a kid - which it seems weren't from this series but I could have sworn where from Vortex??? Anyway I just didn't. The Hernandez Bros issues just didn't gell into anything meanful for me . I think from there I might have been lost. I tried to get back on into it. I tried to engage but just drifted from it. It simply didn't have a central narrative that did enough for me. It didn't convince me it meant anything, rather that it was trying to mean something, didn't really know what and so fudged around being enigmatic, but ultimately pretty shallow.

Now I'm pretty sure that's me, not it. I think I am the problem, but thats what I got from it. I can't pretend otherwise.

You know what even Seth's art annoyed me. In moments quite fantastic, then on just a page turn just utterly lacking in what I think it was trying to do.

Again me, not it, but art is subjective isn't that always the case.

So there you have it. Read Mister X and unlike so many of its contemporaries which I love I didn't enjoy it.

There's no need to ever speak of this again.