Main Menu

2000AD podcast

Started by wrly_bird, 29 April, 2009, 07:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Cool - I enjoyed that and will definitely be regular listener.

If I was to nitpick, I'd say could you shift the focus slightly from old 2000ad to modern 2000ad, as the early years are already very well documented, and it would be nice for newer material to get some coverage for a change!

bluemeanie

Yeah, good points.

I've been drafted back in to co-host the second as well after the original guy had to bail and as this is gonna be bi-weekly the plan now is to do one old one and either the latest two new ones, or one new and a collection or something. We just couldnt do the first one without doing the first Dredd really... woulda just been wrong

Been told I gotta re-read progs 3 and 1632 & 3 for tomorrow and I might get in a bit about The Pit as just read the trade of that.

Rio De Fideldo

Listened to the podcast this morning and thought it was a good first attempt.

My favourite bits where were Flint mentioned his own reaction/observations to a strip as I had heard a lot of the annecdotal stuff before (i.e. stuff like Pat Mills rewriting every thing has been mentioned loads in T.P.O. etc). The bit where he described the Harlem Heroes crash as reminding him of the Munich Air Disaster really made an interesting point.

Also re the destuction of the Rhondda in Invasion in Prog 1 I'm assuming that when the strip was written there was still some coal mines in operation although the industry was in decline.

Finally I can't believe someone who read 2000ad from Prog 1 can't remember Invasion or Flesh. Bluemeanie what were you doing?

T.p.o. for Blue meanie is the book Thrill Power Overload by Dave Bishop and it is essential reading.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Quotethe plan now is to do one old one and either the latest two new ones, or one new and a collection or something

That sounds like a good idea. If you cover the collections make sure you get the first couple of Nikolai Dante volumes in there - you didn't seem to like the current story much (not surprising for a relative newcomer as it's a finite series thats been running for twelve years and hundreds of episodes), but it's well worth catching up on - Dante's a bit of a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy, but the general consensus is that it's one of the best things to ever be published in 2000ad.

Pete Wells

I'm about half way through and really enjoying this, thanks for taking the time to do it guys!

Leigh S

I'd be interested in hearing you discuss all different bits of 2000AD history - how comprehensive is your collection, and is your plan to keep going chronologically just to fit in with your own reread? If the plan is to show a broad spectrum of 2000ADs influence and history (which it may not be!), it'll be a long time (best part of a year!) before we get to (for example) the Starlord merger, let alone such landmarks as The Judge Child, Meltdown Man, Rogue, Nemesis, Slaine, Halo Jones.  I'd be just as interested in your rereading of the 700- onwards, as Paul Raineys prog slog is now in these choppy waters, and jsut as interesting as when it was covering the period I'd call the best.

Colin YNWA

Finally got around to listening to this and have to say it made the first two hours of the painting a had to do today all the more bearable (who ever invented Gloss paint and its incredible ability to get everywhere regardless of how careful you are needs shooting!). Great show.

The most interesting aspect for me was the fact that both reviews were coming to the new Progs either entirely cold or as a relatively new returns and I'm looking forward to hearing how their appreciate of current thrills changes as thye get increasing familar with the current stories and characters.

Mind how on Earth could you have read a story featuring cowboys fighting dinosaurs at the age of 6 and not have it indelibly etched onto you're memory. Like spots of gloss paint on your carpet GRRRRrrrrrrrr...

bluemeanie

Well the second one is all edited together so should be up in the next few days.

As for the format and what is being looked at, its obviously still early days so we were just trying stuff out. I do think its fun to look at the old stuff from the beginning, but would imagine there would be future ones where instead of doing three issues it'd be the latest issue plus "The Day the Law Died" or something.
We did talk a bit about The Pit collection in the last one though.

I just know for the ones I'm doing its fun to look at the old 70s stuff and have a bit of an affectionate joke about it