Main Menu

Werewolves in 2000AD

Started by wrly_bird, 25 June, 2009, 12:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Morning, all.

I'm currently researching a piece on werewolves in comics. Can anyone tell me if lycanthropes have made a major appearance in 2000AD beyond Dredd's Cry of the Werewolf and Frazer Irving and John Smith's A Love like Blood...? (These were the only two that sprang to mind.)

Cheers in advance
Alec Worley

johnnystress

Alan Moore's Future Shock -An American Werewolf in Space

TordelBack

Not quite werewolves (werewolves with a 2000AD twist?), but main villain Black Shuck from London Falling (turns into the Black Dog), the Shoggey Beast from Slaine spring to mind, and of course the original series of Summer Magic.

Jim_Campbell

Prager returned as a lycanthrope in 'Out of the Undercity' #1313-136 according to Wikipedia.

I think it's worth noting that -- although I never heard him come right out and say it -- David Bishop really wasn't keen on werewolf stories. I know, because I tried to pitch him one off the back of The Inspectre and he made it very clear that while he would have been happy to see someone revisit the Lunar Colony as a story location, he very much wanted me to take the werewolves out of the proposal!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

zombemybabynow

not 2000ad but, greg lands werewolf by night marvel cover is definately my favourite lupine-picture

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Proudhuff

Still think Jim's Dog Soldiers in luna-cit sounds fun!
DDT did a job on me

wrly_bird

Thanks, y'all!
Very helpful.
I always liked Werewolf By Night too, but why the frig did they have to go and call him Jack Russell!?!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

i belive there was one in  The Red Seas - With a bound he was free...

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "wrly_bird"Thanks, y'all!
Very helpful.
I always liked Werewolf By Night too, but why the frig did they have to go and call him Jack Russell!?!

Not wanting to disrupt the thread too much (anything on werewolves in comics is okay by me!) BUT- on the subject above- does anyone here remember a short film that played as the 'b' movie to an early eighties rerelease of Raiders Of The Lost Ark- that was about a London-based werewolf, whose alter-ego was also a Mr Jack Russell? It was a comedy, as I remember, and featured the werewolf eating dog food out of a can.

And, on the subject of hairy fellas- has anyone here ever managed to track down a copy of "Meko's Impressions of An American Werewolf In London"- the near-legendary soundtrack album to the film, advertised on the print but which I have never, ever, seen- and for which I have been hunting for 25 years?

Steev

Oh, and if writing a piece of comics wolfmen, don't you dare forget Pat Mills/ John Wagner/ Dave Gibbons's werelox, from the Dr Who Weekly strip 'Dogs of Doom'!

wrly_bird

Meko's Impressions of An American Werewolf in London...? I've never heard of this, but am intrigued as this is one of my fave films of all time. Can you tell me a bit more about this soundtrack as I know someone who might be able to shed some light on this...

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: "wrly_bird"Meko's Impressions of An American Werewolf in London...? I've never heard of this, but am intrigued as this is one of my fave films of all time. Can you tell me a bit more about this soundtrack as I know someone who might be able to shed some light on this...

Er, well, it says in the credits to Amercian Werewolf that the soundtrack, 'Meko's Impressions of An American Werewolf In London', is available. That's all. I've never seen a soundtrack album of any kind, Meko's or otherwise- which in itself is a bit odd, when you think how overmarketed movie soundtracks became post-Star Wars/ CE3K/ Superman, and how reliant on the music the film is.

Steev

wrly_bird

No probs. I'll have a word anyway and get back to you. Cheers.

MIKE COLLINS

Well me and Edge had werewolves in American Gothic, amongst other creatures...

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: "johnnystress"Alan Moore's Future Shock -An American Werewolf in Space
There's also that Ro-Jaws' Robo-Tale. The one about some mayor who opted to have his brain transplanted into a robot body [spoiler:2sp31vl9]made entirely from silver[/spoiler:2sp31vl9]. Gibbons art.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

Oh. And SCREAM had a one-off tale drawn by Steve Dillon.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.