Main Menu

Werewolves in 2000AD

Started by wrly_bird, 25 June, 2009, 12:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: "mikegloady"The more recent Dante GNs are on my pile awaiting re-reading so my memory might not be up to much (indeed it's not that great on recently acquired information).  

However I seem to remember that it was in fact [spoiler:2ia0jf30]Viktor Romanov and he's more of a were....eagle.[/spoiler:2ia0jf30]

No, not him. I seem to remember [spoiler:2ia0jf30]a beast that Dante actually killed (Viktor is still alive.)[/spoiler:2ia0jf30] ) I'll have a look in my back progs... (I tend not to be inclined towards the GN if I've already got the story in comic form, but times like this I can see the benefit. :) )

Mike Gloady

Quote from: "Mardroid"
Quote from: "mikegloady"The more recent Dante GNs are on my pile awaiting re-reading so my memory might not be up to much (indeed it's not that great on recently acquired information).  

However I seem to remember that it was in fact [spoiler:39qqbv7p]Viktor Romanov and he's more of a were....eagle.[/spoiler:39qqbv7p]

No, not him. I seem to remember [spoiler:39qqbv7p]a beast that Dante actually killed (Viktor is still alive.)[/spoiler:39qqbv7p] ) I'll have a look in my back progs... (I tend not to be inclined towards the GN if I've already got the story in comic form, but times like this I can see the benefit. :) )

Yeah, that's right.  [spoiler:39qqbv7p]Viktor is indeed still alive and that makes me glad.  The chap who needed killing was something like a werewolf priest wasn't it?[/spoiler:39qqbv7p]  Must hurry with the re-reading.  It's not long until the next one, at which point I'll be all caught up again after my brief unfaithfulness to Tharg.

Any other werewolves?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

ThryllSeekyr

Concerning Werewolves in 2000AD comics.....

I've only ever known of the Judge Dredd stories,where one of the Judges was one of them and Psi Anderson stories. Not sure if it's the same arc though. I haven't read that far into the Case Files. Though I recall the coverart on the old Titan graphic novels. Thats about all I know of apart from one of the more recent 2000AD featuring the Lon Chaney styled Werewolve on the cover.  There's "A Love Like Blood" which I beleive might have been the inspiration for the film "Underworld".
"I was a teenage ......" styled story about young man who kept changing into a nerdy accountant, While this is'nt exactly a werewolve, it's still a story about shape-shifters based on that of werewolves.

There's also the story about those beast-folk vs the Insect-folk. Forget the name, but it was recent one, a few years ago. I don't think they are shape-shifter, but permanently beastial. Born that way.  

Quoteby zombemybabynow on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 pm
not 2000ad but, greg lands werewolf by night marvel cover is definately my favourite lupine-picture

Going through my own collection of comic books. I did buy quite a few of the Werewolf themed ones after the success of a RPG game called "Werewolf the Appocalpse" which in itself took alot of the popular Were-creature mytholgies, weaving them back together into a theme of human/animal shamans who's dormant Garou gene --sometimes--ativates at puberty. Givng them a wide range of spirital powers. With a wellpool of rage that they can tap into at anytime to bring the inner beast to the surface. During the three nights of the full moon the less experienced werewolves/Garou --known as Pups--undergo a automatic transformation that they can't hold back like the more experienced eldars can. Who can change their form as easily as clothing. Yet they still exepereince the power of full moon urging them to shift shape. I guess thats like sexual arousal in a public place and the urge to masterbate. A young teenager might be confused, The more experienced would either put it to good use or excercise extreme willpower and fight it back.

Among other comics like :-

--Dream Wolves--
 ( using a method similar to Clint Lanely's photoshoped work, although the photography is lesser used and is black n white. The pictures are skteched, and shaded, not painted.

--Conventry--  Which isn't really about werewolves, except for the picture of one on the front. Worth mentioning,
 if you've seen the Movie " Cursed" then you might have noticed this comic among others in the collection that the young  protagonist had purchased after being bitten by one himself. I did think it was intereting that the pile of comics he spread out in front of him looked similer to mine. He even had "Werewolf the Appocalpse" graphic novels.

--Mongrel-- A motorcycle riding werewolf known to once bark into the phone's mouth piece after making a phone call. Recite impromtu street poetry describing a abortion in one of those night clubs.
 You'd have to see tha pages of the comic book itself this yourself to notice how apt it was.

--"Werewolf at Large", "Red moon", "Strange Tales", "WereWolf Tales,staring Manthing",

As for "Werewolf by NIght" I got three of the classic originals. "Carnival of Fear", "Tigra the Werewoman", "The Peril of Paingloss". I also have a number of the more recent adaptions of that very same comic that were available during the mid to late ninties and I do recall those even newer adaptions like ZombiemyBayNow has shown above and the action figures based on that series that comic book belongs to. I haven't brought any of those, though, because I decided to budget. Right now, I'm buying no more comic books at the moment.

---But I just rang the local newsagency and they tell me that they have 2000AD Prog 1632 on the shelves at the moment.To give you a idea of our time difference.--

Quoteby wrly_bird on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:28 pm

I always liked Werewolf By Night too, but why the frig did they have to go and call him Jack Russell!?

I think thats just a puin. Nameing the main character after a breed of dog. It's got a certain ring to it like Peter Parker, James Jameson, LOis Lane, and then it also means something.

Quoteby SpookyTheCat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:21 pm...

does anyone here remember a short film that played as the 'b' movie to an early eighties rerelease of Raiders Of The Lost Ark- that was about a London-based werewolf, whose alter-ego was also a Mr Jack Russell? It was a comedy, as I remember, and featured the werewolf eating dog food out of a can.

And, on the subject of hairy fellas- has anyone here ever managed to track down a copy of "Meko's Impressions of An American Werewolf In London"- the near-legendary soundtrack album to the film,

I'd like to know more about that!

Quoteby Jim_Campbell on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:09 pm
"Well they'd be werewolves all the time, because they'd be on the moon and er, well the moon turns them into werewolves... er... confused."

Nah, mate ... they'd be fucking ?ber-werewolves. They'd be werewolves on steriods. And there'd be no incubation period from infection, no waiting for the next full moon (obviously).

Thats a interesting interpretation of the myth. In a book of shortstories about werewolves. There was one about a large piece of moonrock that was kept in a museum. In this version, it was moonrock that was dangerous for werewolves to touch.
Instead of silver nitrate, unless thats the stuff the moon is actaulley made of. Which I doubt, but anyway..... as the story goes.... it was the light of the full moon that drove this select group of mortals that suffered from the curse and changed them into beasts. Although touch of the moonrock would kill them or in the very least incapacitate them. I think life on a lunar colony for these shape-shifters would be a no-no.  Of course, It's understood that this rule  is just one exception and never needs to be the law itself.

Quoteby Jim_Campbell on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:30 pm
"Ah, but do they change back when the Earth rises?"

Thats a new one for me. Perhaps these permanently changed werwolves and are just a race of beast-folk that live on the moon, and the ones that are afflicted are cursed to change into pathetic mortals when th elight of the full earth shines dow on them. Perhaps the astrophysics people here could tell us how often that happen. during a period of thirty Earth days spent on the moon.

Quoteby Eric Plumrose on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:52 pm
johnnystress wrote:Alan Moore's Future Shock -An American Werewolf in Space

There's also that Ro-Jaws' Robo-Tale. The one about some mayor who opted to have his brain transplanted into a robot body made entirely from silver. Gibbons art.

8-)

Emperor

Quote from: Emperor on 28 June, 2009, 05:34:13 PM
Of course, it may be too late. Dark Horse have a series out called "Werewolves on the Moon: Versus Vampires" out June 3, 2009!! Pipped at the post :(

There is a preview here.

Weirdly there are two more werewolf on the Moon projects that are not only clashing but sharing similar imagery:

www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11/29/swipe-file-apollo-18-vs-full-moon-fever/

Just imagine Jim, you could have been first.

[edit: Oh and to answer the original question: there was a recent werewolf story in 2000 AD but the name escapes me at the moment... ;) ]
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Batman's Superior Cousin

Age of the Wolf which finished just mere Progs ago.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 16 December, 2010, 09:57:32 AM
Age of the Wolf which finished just mere Progs ago.
I think Alec probably knows about that one.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Ah, didn't see who made the topic & only saw one page when there are eleven (I'm on my mobile at the minute), my bad!!!! move along people, nothing to see here!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night