Main Menu

2000 AD's Best/Worst Eras?

Started by locustsofdeath!, 11 July, 2009, 01:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Emperor on 20 July, 2009, 01:11:56 AM
The interesting thing is that while people's favourite 2000ADs can be influence by whatever the period was when they first started reading, the worst time is 700-900

If we for the sake of arguement agree that 700-900 was the worst period in 2000ad history its also well worth noting some of the strips that appeared during this time. From a quick scan these include:

Hewligans Haircut, Anderson - Shamballa, Killing Time, Revere, Button Man, Zenith - Phase IV, Firekind, Bad Company, Luke, Kirby, Cannon Fodder, Soul Gun Warrior, Tyranny Rex - Deus Ex Machina.

That's just to mention the strips that I think are by and large very fondly remembered. I could add personal favs as well, Skizz, Armoured Gideon, Brigand Doom, Strontium Dogs, Ennis Dredd etc etc.

I'm making this point not to dispute the claim that this was a bit of a low point in 2000ad history just to emphasize that when you're talking 2000ad even at its lowest ebb there's some damned fine stuff in there!

locustsofdeath!

As I mentioned, I've gotten my hands on Progs 400-900, and I was surprised to find that 2000AD was once printed on a newspaper-like stock! It's a wonder so many have survived in good shape. I was almost afraid to read them - and now I know why the Case Files are a good way to go.

Speaking of cover stock, I like the heavier stock 2000AD was using round the 700's; the paper they're printing on now is really flimsy and I'm always worried that it will tear. Also, the ink sometimes causes the paper to "roll" (can't think of what else to call this).

Anyway, just some observations.

Dandontdare

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 22 July, 2009, 10:26:19 PMSpeaking of cover stock, I like the heavier stock 2000AD was using round the 700's;

True, but sadly they seemed to get so excited about all colour pages, nice paper, fully painted artwork and comics being "cool" for the first time, that they forgot decent scripts or characters for the next few hundred issues! Well, to be fair, there was some good stuff as always, but you are coming into what I consider the prog's weakest period.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: dandontdare on 22 July, 2009, 10:36:37 PM
Quote from: locustsofdeath on 22 July, 2009, 10:26:19 PMSpeaking of cover stock, I like the heavier stock 2000AD was using round the 700's;

True, but sadly they seemed to get so excited about all colour pages, nice paper, fully painted artwork and comics being "cool" for the first time, that they forgot decent scripts or characters for the next few hundred issues! Well, to be fair, there was some good stuff as always, but you are coming into what I consider the prog's weakest period.

Luckily I have the nostalgia factor to sustain me through this. The first 2000ADs I picked up when I was a kid were the Emerald Isle issues, and I collected until I moved back to the States. True, many of these Progs - even the ones with Rogue Trooper - don't seem to stack up against earlier issues, but for me at least its fun to relive the fun of being a kid!

Mike Gloady

I have to agree with Locusts (as I often seem to find myself doing).  Somewhere towards the end of necropolis was where I started and, although the prog was pretty variable in places for a while around that time, it always had been and always will be.  I took that as just part of the anthology format and it meant that I'd often find myself reading things I otherwise never would have. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

Funny that in my journey through 2000AD's past, I find myself mostly looking forward to the next Strontium Dog strip. I had only read the Eagle Comics reprints and always thought the character was cool, but wow, I've read a few strips that blew me away. Maybe my favorite 2000AD character, trumping Dredd (for the moment).

vzzbux

To me the worst era was when there was a strike on and we didn't get our prog's for weeks and weeks.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

locustsofdeath!

Woooboy...

Okay, so several months ago I purchased a 2000AD run in its near-entirety and I've been mired in a Prog slog ever since. So now I can really comment on this thread...

Post Necropolis is terrible. (actually, I think Necropolis and Slaine the Horned God made the rest of the Prog that much better during their runs). Not the Dredds at first, mind - though they do get "bad" - but nearly everything else. Sure there are some fun and even diverting stories through the 700s and 800s, but for the most part, it's bad. Brigand Doom is great though.

I started collecting when I was a kid, and the first Prog I got my hands on was 727. I followed faithfully to almost 900 when my family moved to the States, so there must have been a bigtime nostalgia factor when I defended this run to people that complained about it. Now, after having read what's come before and after, I can appreciate those complaints.

Anyway, at least because of the format there was always something to enjoy through those lean times.

blixab

Hi Locusts

Hope you are enjoying those back progs?

If you are after more Strontium Dog stories, he first appeared in Starlord a comic that merged with 2000AD after only 22 issues. I am fairly sure though that these stories are also reprinted in the first Strontium Dogs case file graphic novel.

Can discuss in more detail next time we catch up.

Mike Gloady

Blixab's right. It's in the first S/D agency file. And the Starlord episodes of Ro-Busters are included in the Complete collection of that strip too. Making them even MORE essential purchases than you'd've thought. X
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 22 July, 2009, 10:36:37 PM

Yuk.

I used to dip my foot in the water at that point and throughout the latter hundreds and the garish colours and painted art was just one massive turn off for me.

Not my cup of tea really so really i was as much driven away from reading as much as i was distracted by other things.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Colin YNWA

Quote from: blixab on 25 October, 2009, 06:19:10 PM
Hi Locusts

Hope you are enjoying those back progs?

If you are after more Strontium Dog stories, he first appeared in Starlord a comic that merged with 2000AD after only 22 issues. I am fairly sure though that these stories are also reprinted in the first Strontium Dogs case file graphic novel.

Can discuss in more detail next time we catch up.

Ok I didn't know that. That means I really do have to get this checked out.

locustsofdeath!

Oh yes, Blixab - Strontium Dog is actually my favorite 2000AD character. We will have to chat about those when we get together next!

blixab

Ok I didn't know that. That means I really do have to get this checked out.
[/quote]

The first files are called The Strontium Dog Agency Search/Destroy Agency Files 01 and contain episodes from Starlord issues 1-10, 15-19, 21, 22, Starlord Summer Special (difficult to acquire this special these days rates on EBay normally about £10) and from the Starlord Annuals 1980-1982, finally from the pages of 2000AD Progs 86-94, 104-118 & 178-197