Main Menu

The Apple Tablet

Started by pauljholden, 25 January, 2010, 04:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 January, 2010, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 28 January, 2010, 01:02:53 PM
So you couldn't, for example, listen to spotify and read at the same time?

It's an iPod. The idea is that you use the iPod functionality to listen to music. Yes, I know people want to use other other music services but, as PJ notes, part of Apple's strategy is to limit functionality in order to improve user experience. If no simultaneous access to Spotify and another app is a deal-breaker for you, then that's the end of that.

Cheers

Jim

Nah- like I say, I'm not bothered either way- it just struck me as odd is all.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 28 January, 2010, 01:26:51 PM
Nah- like I say, I'm not bothered either way- it just struck me as odd is all.

In one respect, it is odd, since it runs so entirely counter to the Windows/Microsoft/PC philosophy of loading in every option that every user in every scenario might conceivably want, but Jobs know better than just about anyone that there's no point in tackling Microsoft on their own ground.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

Had this discussion with someone today about the lack of camera, and it occurred to me that adding a camera on the front would require you to hold the iPad at a specific angle to make sure the camera picked up your face (if it was in your lap, for example, it would be facing the ceiling) or it would need a fisheye lens making every shot look horrible. Similiarly, having a camera at the back would require you holding up this massive device as a normal camera. Neither experience is anything near ideal and far that reason I don't think jobs will include a camera until they can use some sort of weird tech that makes either issue redundant...

-pj

Richmond Clements

Quotebut Jobs know better than just about anyone that there's no point in tackling Microsoft on their own ground.

He knows what he's doing, I'll give him that.
Out of the two of us he, for example, is not (I'm pretty confident in saying this) the one covering the office phones this fucking lunchtime.

Richmond Clements

QuoteHad this discussion with someone today about the lack of camera

Agaon, as an 'outsider' in this arguement. The crit that it doesn't have a camera does just come across like people desperately searching for another thing that's wrong with it. My laptop doesn't have a camera attached and no-one has died yet as a result.

pauljholden

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 28 January, 2010, 01:39:00 PM
Quotebut Jobs know better than just about anyone that there's no point in tackling Microsoft on their own ground.

He knows what he's doing, I'll give him that.
Out of the two of us he, for example, is not (I'm pretty confident in saying this) the one covering the office phones this fucking lunchtime.

hehehe... that's a keeper...

-pj

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 28 January, 2010, 01:38:14 PM
I don't think jobs will include a camera until they can use some sort of weird tech that makes either issue redundant...

You know about that patent of Apple's where they build the CCD sensors in between the pixels of an LCD display, so that the entire screen becomes a camera, right?

Or the more recent one, developing the idea so that a more traditional camera can be hidden behind the display ...?

Cheers!

Jim

Pete Wells

Let me kick off by saying I'm dead excited about these iPads and I'm definitely going to get one as soon as possible, buuuut...

'Odd' isn't the word I'd use here. Lack of multitasking it's just plain shite. It's not a Microsoft philosophy, it's common sense that people want to do two things at once. Also, I don't want to go round and round the houses but (in my opinion) the same goes for the lack of flash support and the lack of a proper USB port.

However, despite those criticisms, I can't wait to get one, though I wish I was patient enough to wait a couple of years until it's better.

uncle fester

Quote from: Pete Wells on 28 January, 2010, 01:53:17 PM
the lack of a proper USB port.

I think they've kept it simple, opting for using iTunes to sync everything rather than have a USB port that could ask the device to open files it probably couldn't recognise.

pauljholden

It has an apple port which plugs into usb - and charges from it.

Not sure what you think you're missing through lack of usb though...

-pj

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Pete Wells on 28 January, 2010, 01:53:17 PM
Also, I don't want to go round and round the houses but (in my opinion) the same goes for the lack of flash support

Flash would be shit and horrifically impact battery life, Pete. There's pretty much nothing Apple can do to alter those two facts. In the unlikely event that Adobe managed to write code for OSX or iPhone OS that didn't suck, Apple would have a much harder time refusing to implement it, but for as long as Adobe are happy to keep handing Apple a stick with which to beat them...

Cheers!

Jim

Pete Wells

QuoteIt has an apple port which plugs into usb - and charges from it.

Not sure what you think you're missing through lack of usb though...

D'oh, you're right PJ! And as for the flash thing Jim, I have to admit my main concern is erm... I wouldn't be able to use the tablet to feed my Moshi Monster every day! Move along, nothing to see here!

Dandontdare

seems like an i-phone - but too big to slip in your pocket; or a laptop - but without a lid to stop the screen getting scratched; so, the worst of both worlds. As some blogger quoted in the paper says: "Apple have made a horse with wheels - just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD"

In all, I'm supremely indifferent and won't be queuing in my local i-shop anytime soon.

VinceBot

Wait wait wait, are you telling me that the iPad can't..

Plug in USB devices
If I can't plug in a USB device of any kind, then I can't attach a keyboard or a mouse, so I can't put the iPad on a dock and write up a document on it or play a really basic game or anything like that?
I also can't plug in my 16GB USB Flash Drive with all my work documents, music and pictures on it? How am I supposed to get stuff to/from the damn thing?

Multitasking
Can the iPad only run one app at once? I can't read and listen to music, or have open a text editor and a web browser at the same time? I can't browse the web and listen to music?

What the hell use is this thing? Its a massive iPhone with half the portability. Why not just buy a Thinkpad Tablet for a little extra and get the functionality of both a laptop and a tablet, with windows instead of Apple iPhone OS or whatever it is.

Apples DRM also sounds pretty heinous, and I'm not sure I like the idea of them being able to disable the applications and media on my device.

WoD

Quote from: radiator on 26 January, 2010, 01:58:51 PM
QuoteIt is for you, but it probably won't be for your kids- and that's where the future market is.

But that isn't the discussion we're having here - in my post I agree that the future is digital, but I don't think it will happen, as PJ suggests, 'overnight', and I don't think this particular device will be the one to do it.

It's the size and portability that stops me using existing digital formats for viewing comics.  I've liked some of what I've seen, but I don't want to read them tied to my computer and the iPhone - as fantastic as it is, has just too small a screen.  The iPad is portable, bigger and could...if the price is right for the media (and it HAS to be cheaper than the printed copy (distribution costs, etc.))...then I'd go for it. 

I can see me going for reasonably priced GN's that I don't have for when I'mn travelling and also for picking up monthlies - something I haven't done in ages.  But...price, price, price...need to get that right.