Main Menu

RIP John Hicklenton

Started by Robo-K33F, 23 March, 2010, 08:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robo-K33F

We have just been informed by Pat Mills that John Hicklenton has sadly passed away.

Here are a few words from Pat:

John Hicklenton passed away peacefully last week.  His ending was an expected one and he saw it as a triumph over his illness MS.  Amongst his final words  to me were  "MS - you have a week to live, you've met someone you shouldn't have f*****  with".  A great artist and  a true hero.

Pat Mills

I, Cosh

Sad news. John was an exciting and unique artist.  Should they be reading, condolences to his family.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

That's incredibly sad news. MS is something my family has a lot of experience of and by the sounds of it John has passed away in as positive frame of mind as possible and in control of a disease that can remove just that from you.

I can think of no better tribute to the man whose art I enjoyed so much.

Richmond Clements

Jim_Campbell

Indeed. A sad loss, but a fuller life than many live in a far greater number of years, from what little I know of John.

Condolences to John's family.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

mygrimmbrother

I'm really sorry to hear this news. His was a unique talent, and in the documentary he came across as a wonderful person too.

Bolt-01

Just seen this, a terrible start to the day.

My deepest sympathies to all who knew him.

johnnystress

so sad- sincere condolences to his loved ones

Johnny Alpha

Always sad when we lose someone whom we may not have known personally, but whose creativity brought enjoyment into our lives. A loss indeed. R.I.P.

Pete Wells

So sad, what a fantastic talent he was and an absolutely amazing quote.

I'm a teacher and there's a page of his artwork hanging on the wall as children come into my building. I always like to think it shocks 'em into being creative. Perhaps it'll have a more poignant meaning for me now.

Edkaye

This is terrible news, and a such great loss. I'm glad that he is finally free of his illness though. My sincere condolences to his friends and family.
Please check out my website http://www.hypergeek.ca for tons of comic news, review, interviews, recommendations, articles, columns, previews, and more!

Marbles

Very sad news.

I can recall how seriously shocking I found his art on Nemesis was back in the day, and it certainly changed my view on what 'kids' comics were about and the power of art.

I saw the documentary on his struggle and hope he is now at last at peace.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Richmond Clements

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Shit! While his art may not have been to everyone's taste but he certainly was one of the most unique talents to grace the pages of 2000ad.  
All his friends and family have my sincere condolences.