Main Menu

A Matter of Life and Death

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 04 July, 2010, 01:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul faplad Finch

Don't judge me, but I've never actually seen this. I know it's regarded as something of a classic by critics and film student types but what do the peeps on here think?

I ask cos it's on this afternoon and I can't decide whether to give it a go. It's on Film4 which means adverts, which always pisses me off with films and I have other stuff that I shouldbe getting on with but...

Anyway, is it as good as the hype?
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

House of Usher

Absolutely it's as good as they say it is. Do not pass up this opportunity. One of my favourite films of all time, it's been in my top ten for decades. I'd recommend watching it on your own with no distractions. It has everything: David Niven, World War II, a love story, the afterlife, and games with sepia and technicolour. It's a must.

4.55pm, Film4
STRIKE !!!

M.I.K.

One of my favourite films but I've no idea what you'd make of it.

It's very old-fashioned and extremely odd, (neither of which things I would consider bad).

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

It's brilliant, along with a few other P & P flicks, irreverent and highly creative, a film I prefer to the overly sentimental "It's a Wonderful Life".

Dandontdare

Love it. A bit soppy in places, but some fantastic moments - [spoiler]the escalator, the heavenly jury[/spoiler], the changes from b/w to colour. I remember this being on telly as a kid amd not being that interested, until I gradually became aware that it wasn't just another wartime love story but a rather odd film indeed. Charming and quirky rather than OMG fantastic.

Moderator edit: Paul hasn't seen it! Don't mention [spoiler]the escalator[/spoiler] and [spoiler]the heavenly jury[/spoiler]! LOL.

Paul faplad Finch

All points to yes then. i'll probably stick a tape in though and watch it later on so I can avoid the ads to an extent. What a faff, I realy miss Sky+.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 04 July, 2010, 02:11:56 PM
One of my favourite films but I've no idea what you'd make of it.

It's very old-fashioned and extremely odd, (neither of which things I would consider bad).

Another reason for the tape. I wouldn't consider either of those to be bad things either but I'm staying with a bunch of people who most definitely would and they're due home abut halfway through the runtime of this. I doubt I'd be allowed to watch in peace.

The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Trout

Good man. Make the effort, Faps, and you won't regret it.

Tally ho!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 04 July, 2010, 02:25:32 PM
I wouldn't consider either of those to be bad things either but I'm staying with a bunch of people who most definitely would and they're due home abut halfway through the runtime of this. I doubt I'd be allowed to watch in peace.

Ouch. You're not still staying with your horrible sister, are you?
@jamesfeistdraws

Paul faplad Finch

The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Trout

I hate it when people walk in before the end of something you're watching. My wife does it all the time. She has a knack for spoiling the last five minutes of a film by wandering around in front of the telly.

It's one of the reasons I'd rather watch an episode from a DVD box set than a film. It's easier to see something in smaller parts.

- Trout

House of Usher

I watched it again. That made my afternoon. I did have something in my eye for the first 10 minutes. And for the last 110.
STRIKE !!!

Tiplodocus

Into the last twenty minutes of a show or film and the phone rings. Wife answers phone and then starts loud conversation with her mate. And then says you are rude for asking her to move into another room.

It happens all the time to a chum of mine. ;o)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Paul faplad Finch

Old thread I know, sorry, but I wanted to have a moan.

I taped this film on the day in question in the hopes of finding a couple of hours, guaranteed uninterrupted, viewing time. One thing led to another and I never got a chance to sit down and watch it until today.

When I find out that someone has taped over it with a pissing football match. I swear, I've never seen her use the video in all the time I've stayed with her. I started to think she didn't know how to. But the one time...

Its funny, I'd never given this film a thought before the day I started this thread. It certainly wasn't on any great 'must see wishlist' or anything. Comments on here got me really quite interested though, and that,coupled with the mere minutes I saw at the start of the movie,have had me chomping at the bit.

Anyway, I'm hoping that it'll show up on Film4 again in the near future but if not I reckon it'll have to be a DVD purchase, money tight or not. I've got to see it now. I'm just wondering abut the availability of such an old film. We'll see.

There you go, moan over.
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Trout

It's probably available pretty cheaply on DVD. When I was on a film society committee, we booked it very easily on 35mm, and it's been on the telly often enough.

Sorry about your taping disaster. That's a pain in the arse.

- Trout