Main Menu

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Century: 1969

Started by Emperor, 16 October, 2010, 12:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 December, 2010, 10:33:58 AM
Halleluljahgobble!  

I know many folk think LoEG has been on a downward tangent, but I've loved every installment and cannot wait for this.  I've really got into ferreting out what Alan and Kev are up to, and it's enormous fun, and not just in a geeky reference-getting points-scoring way - I'm been bamboozled by half of what's going on in the later volumes, but in trying to sort it all out I've discovered loads of stuff I never knew, and enjoyed things I never thought I would.  It's no coincidence that I have the Threepenny Opera on my mp3 player now - it's incredible, and beyond introducing me to Brecht's work it's opened up a whole world of political theatre I had no clue about (I have an instinctive dislike of musicals).  My interest in plays stopped with Ibsen, Synge and Wilde.

Great to see O'Neill drawing the Warlock again.

I agree wholeheartedly, long may it reign.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2010, 04:20:19 PM
That truly is groundbreaking nippleage (at least, I reckon you could plough some fine furrows with them).

Handy for opening tins of paint.

House of Usher

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 December, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
Nice to see Mr. Benn in panel 4

I'm sure it's the man from the Ministry of Silly Walks - however, we don't know where Mr Benn works, do we? Maybe he's a civil servant who works at the Ministry of Silly Walks. I always figured him for a stockbroker.
STRIKE !!!

worldshown

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 December, 2010, 05:38:45 PM
the badge on the Mosleytype man in the brown suit to the left edge of panel 1, it's the emblem of the fascist government from the V for Vendetta film.

The "Double X" was also Adenoid Hynkel's symbol as Chaplin's "Great Dictator" 

TordelBack

As Hyknel is the Hitler-analogue of the LoEG world, it seems a little odd that someone looking not unlike him and wearing his symbol is walking the streets of London in the late 60's/early 70's.

House of Usher

I wondered about the fire engine and if it had anything at all to do with Farenheit 451. Probably not though; that sort of thing most likely went out with IngSoc, Big Brother and True Labour.
STRIKE !!!

FantonEsquire

Having just read the interview with Kev O'Neill in Comic Heroes magazine, I am now officially excited. Officially! I filled in forms and everything.

JOE SOAP

Hadn't seen this preview page from the next LOEG book before:

Kerrin

It's a great image, Nautilus meets the Adam West Batmobile. I'm looking forward to this, though no doubt, as with 1910, most of the references will whistle over my blithely unaware head.

Hopefully Kev will do another signing in Brighton at Dave's Comics for this release.

Proudhuff

Albion Reach at the White Cliffs, wasn't that right at the start of the First book?
DDT did a job on me

Kerrin

Yep, well spotted Huff. It's the remains of the Channel Causeway (Messrs. CALKIN & BOWYERS. Engineers) which is shown under construction on the second page of LOEG vol 1.

Grant Goggans

At the risk of being inflammatory, yes, I am very much looking forward to this and hope that it sells a zillion copies, but Kevin O'Neill must be taking the piss, spending two years drawing 64 pages.  I know he's always had problems with deadlines, but that's ridiculous.

JOE SOAP

I think he's earned the right to do what the fuck he wants.

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

Kev can etch the thing into granite boulders with his toenails if he so desires.  I'll be here waiting.

Not to say I wouldn't prefer it if he could speed up a bit too!