Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

I watched 'Room' last night on the box and was quite impressed. A film critics raved about that lived up to the hype. Some great performances in that film. Worth a watch

JLC

Kong: Skull Island. Enjoyed it

Mardroid

Hunger Games

I've never been bothered to watch this in the past as the synopsis have me the impression it was a rip off of Battle Royale (BR), but it was on tonight, so i thought I'd give it a go.

I'm glad I did. It was a bit predictable and it was a bit silly in places, but overall it was very enjoyable. The basic premise was similar to BR, but tonally it was very different.

Considering it involved a show where youngsters kill each other for the masses entertainment it was surprisingly positive.

Satanist

Assassins Creed views more like a feature length tv pilot than an actual self contained film. It does stay true to the video games in that the plot makes no sense and whenever the camera is high up there just has to be a screeching eagle flying by.

Ass-a-shits Creed it is then.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Satanist on 14 March, 2017, 03:56:15 PM
Assassins Creed views more like a feature length tv pilot than an actual self contained film. It does stay true to the video games in that the plot makes no sense and whenever the camera is high up there just has to be a screeching eagle flying by.

Ass-a-shits Creed it is then.

Assassins Crud, surely?
Lock up your spoons!

Goaty

watch Kingsman: The Secret Service on Netflix

so enjoy it, like Kick-Ass! Colin Firth was really good in it! that Church scene...  :o

And did they[spoiler] kill off so many people? Did the director reading The Boys comic books with that Superheroes moment in Russia?[/spoiler]

Mardroid

Zombie Strippers

Dear me.

It was rubbish and boobies but entertaining rubbish and boobies. And rather gross in places.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 March, 2017, 01:00:14 AM
Zombie Strippers

Dear me.

It was rubbish and boobies but entertaining rubbish and boobies. And rather gross in places.

I once saw Zombie Strippers at the end of a two day horror festival, it showed at about midnight and I had a couple of beers. I think that was the exact right moment and situation to see that film in, because I think I sort of enjoyed it a bit, while being totally certain it wouldn't hold up in any other circumstance.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 March, 2017, 10:41:04 AM
John Wick: Chapter Two.

If your first thought on watching the first movie was: "Well, I could go watching a whole pile more of THAT." then you're in luck!
My first thought on watching the first was "I can't wait to see that again." but after doing that a few times I turned to your view. Made it to the final cinema showing last night and was very glad I made the effort. Doesn't quite have the impact of the first, but but builds from it in a very enjoyable way. So many great little touches sprinkled through but the success again comes down to the staging and choreography of the action scenes  which add up to a slice of action nirvana.

The pacing was slightly affected for me because a lot of cinemas here still have an intermission for no discernible reason. Just as the long setup sequence is coming to an end and you're eagerly anticipating it all to kick int high gear... Boom! Lights come up and you have ten minutes to get an ice cream.

Anyway, I'm already salivating at the prospect of Hunt John Wick.

So far, Manchester by the Sea is the only one of last year's Oscar nominees which I've seen. It's no Fury Road, but still a strong runner up. Not much to add to the genrarl plaudits for Casey Affleck's central performance and the natural seeming nephew. Good if grim overall but with some moments of brightness and recognition along the way.

I recently recorded the first three Resident Evils off Film 4 and purchased the fourth for a pound from my local corner shop. Rewatched the first at the weekend and found it hard to focus on. The bit where Mila runs up a wall and kicks a dog remains a high point of the series.
We never really die.

sheldipez

Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 March, 2017, 10:05:49 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 March, 2017, 10:41:04 AM
John Wick: Chapter Two.
The pacing was slightly affected for me because a lot of cinemas here still have an intermission for no discernible reason. Just as the long setup sequence is coming to an end and you're eagerly anticipating it all to kick int high gear... Boom! Lights come up and you have ten minutes to get an ice cream.

What cinemas still have intermissions? Presumably its a small indie cinema? Mind blown that there's still places that have these. I can imagine that they are handy for stuff like Lord of the Rings and King Kong for sure.

I'll never forget needing to pee during the third Matrix movie, I was in crossing my legs, doing a dance through the final fight and as soon as the credits started I ran so fast down the isle (from the back row of all places to seat!) literally knocking people out of the way like a mad man. Never went for a large drink through a film again.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sheldipez on 16 March, 2017, 10:39:47 AM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 16 March, 2017, 10:05:49 AM
John Wick: Chapter Two. The pacing was slightly affected for me because a lot of cinemas here still have an intermission for no discernible reason. Just as the long setup sequence is coming to an end and you're eagerly anticipating it all to kick int high gear... Boom! Lights come up and you have ten minutes to get an ice cream.
What cinemas still have intermissions? Presumably its a small indie cinema? Mind blown that there's still places that have these. I can imagine that they are handy for stuff like Lord of the Rings and King Kong for sure.
Quite the opposite. In Switzerland it's the norm for films to have an intermission in the big chains. It's really only in small arthouse or dingy basement cinemas that they expect you to sit and watch the whole film from start to finish.
We never really die.

Mattofthespurs

Last movie I saw that had an intermission that I recall was The Towering Inferno in the last 70's (on a re-release).
I saw 2001 a Space Odyssey recently and that has a built in intermission but it was basically ignored.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 March, 2017, 11:57:48 AM
Last movie I saw that had an intermission that I recall was The Towering Inferno in the last 70's (on a re-release).
I saw 2001 a Space Odyssey recently and that has a built in intermission but it was basically ignored.
Yeah. I've seen Seven Samurai at the pictures several times and it always has an intermission. The last new releases which I can remember having one would be Dances with Wolves and JFK. So early 90s.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 March, 2017, 11:57:48 AM

You've got me wondering now - I can only remember getting one intermission at the cinema, but can't remember what film it was (in the mid to late 80s though).

Where's the built-in intermission in 2001?  Obvious point I'd guess would be on the moon, but it's a bit early in the narrative...

JamesC

Last film I saw with an intermission was 'Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest' at the Hollywood cinema in Norwich.
Some kids behind me thought the film had finished!