Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: Mikey on 25 March, 2012, 09:06:55 PMThis might not be the most exciting thing on the thread (duh!) - how to compare with wanking gauntlets and jaw dropping star fields? - but it's one of those things that keeps me interested in Stuff, and beats working.

Ah but it is mysteries such as those that make life worth living. Granted not everyone would be that interested in some old mud and gravel, but it is all part of the big puzzle.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mikey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 March, 2012, 09:13:48 PM
judging by the level it is at, that biro must be thousands of years old - that's got to be a significant archeological discovery!

Zing!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Emperor

QuoteMedicine's recipe for keeping older people active and functioning in their homes and workplaces — and healing younger people injured in catastrophic accidents — may include "noodle gels" and other lab-made invisible filaments that resemble uncooked spaghetti with nanoscale dimensions, a scientist said

Samuel I. Stupp, Ph.D., who presented an ACS plenary lecture, explained that the synthetic pasta-like objects actually are major chemistry advances for regenerative medicine that his research team has accomplished. Regenerative medicine is an emerging field that combines chemistry, biology and engineering. It focuses on the regeneration of tissues and organs for the human body, to repair or replace those damaged through illness, injury, aging or birth defects. Those tissues range from cartilage in joints damaged by arthritis to heart muscle scarred by a heart attack and nerves severed in auto accidents.

For example, Stupp attached to these fibers signaling substances that mimic a powerful substance called VEGF that can promote the formation of new blood vessels. The VEGF-mimic caused new blood vessels to form in mice (stand-ins for humans) with blood vessel damage.

"When VEGF itself was used in clinical trials on humans, it didn't work, despite a lot of laboratory research that suggested otherwise," said Stupp. "The problem was that VEGF was quickly broken down in the body. The nanofilament scaffold, however, lasts in the body for weeks, which allows the VEGF-mimic more time to grow vessels." Eventually, the nanofilaments break down and disappear, leaving only the new blood vessels behind.

www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-noodle-gels-spaghetti-highways-tools.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Tweak72

... this man is no longer stuck in a Garth Ennis living nightmare. Seriously.
:o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17534646
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Minkyboy

Quote from: Tweak72 on 28 March, 2012, 02:08:56 PM

I thought exactly the same thing.
Suicide gone wrong like 'Arseface' or a genuine gun accident?
Either way very happy for the bloke to look unremarkable again.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Spikes

Wow........................ :o
Im tempted to say that that cant be real or even medically possible, but clearly it is.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Why was Fibonacci afraid of 5?

What does the 'B' in Benoit B. Mandelbrot stand for?

Benoit B. Mandelbrot.

.....Taxi for Pops :-\
You may quote me on that.

GordyM

Quote from: Tweak72 on 28 March, 2012, 02:08:56 PM

Jesus Christ! It's like the Glenn Fabry 'Story of You Know How' cover come to life. :o
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Emperor

QuoteAn Italian physicist at the head of a team that made a cautious but hugely controversial claim that neutrinos may travel faster than the speed of light resigned on Friday following calls for his dismissal.

Antonio Ereditato submitted his resignation before a vote on a motion by some members of his OPERA team that he be removed after tests this month contradicted the claim that the universe's speed limit had been broken.

A headline in Corriere della Sera called Ereditato "the physicist of flop."

Ereditato's team last September announced that neutrinos appeared to have travelled faster than the speed of light, a claim that would have upended Albert Einstein's theory of relativity -- a cornerstone of modern physics.

The neutrinos were timed at their departure from CERN's giant underground lab near Geneva and again, after travelling 732 km (454 miles) through the Earth's crust, at their arrival at Gran Sasso in the Apennine Mountains.

To do the trip, the neutrinos should have taken 0.0024 seconds.

Instead, the particles were recorded as hitting the detectors in Italy 0.00000006 seconds sooner than expected.

Knowing their findings would stir a storm, the OPERA team urged physicists to carry out their own checks to corroborate or refute what had been seen.

CERN said technical hitches may have skewed the initial measurements, something that critics of the findings said they had always suspected.

www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-italian-physicist-faster-than-light-resigns.html

I don't think Einstein was wrong. He was just not entirely accurate.

It's like saying Einstein proved Newton wrong. I think we'll still be teaching Einstein's theory of Relativity in 100 years, in much the same way as science students are still being taught Newtonian physics

Ancient Otter

Emperor

I've been waiting for the topic of vactrains to re-emerge and now it has:

QuoteEver wanted to go to China, but you were always too scared to fly? If and when a new underwater tunnel concept is realized you may never need to fly there again. The Evacuated Tube Transport (ET3) has the potential to revolutionize how we travel over oceans to other continents. Not only that, but it is likely to be safer, cheaper and more silent than trains or airplanes.

ET3 which advertises itself as "Space Travel on Earth" is a green, environmentally friendly idea where tubes and cars will be built out of sustainable materials and designed according to local and economic conditions. It works as a series of vacuum sealed tubes that propel electrically accelerated capsules between destinations. They speculate that travel between as countries as distant as China and New York could only take two hours. That means more than 4,000 mph when traveling to a destination.

www.psfk.com/2012/03/trans-oceanic-tubes-could-be-the-future-of-travel.html

Here's to the end of the aeroplane (although leaving the door open for more airships if we still need flight in the post-oil future) and now onwards to the construction of a space elevator!!

I love this kind of super-engineering. Someone needs to convince one of those fat-cat gazillionaires to build some of these things. Everyone loves eccentric toffs, and there just aren't enough of those these days. The only one I can think of is Branson and his commercial space-flight ambitions.

The Legendary Shark

"NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured this video on March 27 – 28 of two large areas of "dark" plasma on the Sun's limb, twisting and spiraling in our star's complex magnetic field. The southern region bears an uncanny resemblance to three figures swaying to some spooky, unheard music... a real "danse macabre" on the Sun!"

It looks like plasmonsters fighting, to me!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

vzzbux

The resurrection of the Mammoth maybe.
Caught the end of the bbc programme earlier.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01fkcdr

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.