Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 18 April, 2013, 07:43:51 PM
X-ray telescope reveals secrets of supernova seen in 1000AD. The nova was so bright it could be seen during the day-time!

Science has it that Betelgeuse (Orion's left shoulder from an Earthbound POV) is on its last legs, and is due to go Supernovae. Could happen in a week, in a thousand years or...........NOW!* Nevertheless, whenever it does go**, they reckon it'll be brighter than the sun. I was kinda hoping it had've happened on the 21st of December last year***.

*Damn, didn't happen

**Bear in mind that it might've already happened and the light just hasn't reached us yet. I think it's about 8,000 light years away, too lazy to google it right now.

***Mayans!
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Quote from: El Pops on 18 April, 2013, 08:43:40 PM

Science has it that Betelgeuse (Orion's left shoulder from an Earthbound POV) is on its last legs, and is due to go Supernovae. Could happen in a week, in a thousand years or...........NOW!* Nevertheless, whenever it does go**, they reckon it'll be brighter than the sun. I was kinda hoping it had've happened on the 21st of December last year***.

That's not a supernovae, it's Vogons making way for a hyperspace bypass.

JOE SOAP

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I have a huge man-crush for Chris Hadfield. Dude's awesome.
You may quote me on that.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: El Pops on 18 April, 2013, 08:43:40 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 18 April, 2013, 07:43:51 PM
X-ray telescope reveals secrets of supernova seen in 1000AD. The nova was so bright it could be seen during the day-time!

*Damn, didn't happen

**Bear in mind that it might've already happened and the light just hasn't reached us yet. I think it's about 8,000 light years away, too lazy to google it right now.

***Mayans!

Come on Betelguese! Get on with it! (in the interests of science ;)) Nothing freaks my head about stars as much as this though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VY_Canis_Majoris

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JamesC

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 22 April, 2013, 01:44:05 PM
Because someone made a robot-insect-mobile!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22231365

Quote"But legs are very inefficient - the wheel was invented for a reason," he added.

Yeah, no-one told the Empire that, eh?  Think how much more they could have tightened their fingers around star systems if they'd only put AT ATs on wheels!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 April, 2013, 02:47:45 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 22 April, 2013, 01:44:05 PM
Because someone made a robot-insect-mobile!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22231365

Quote"But legs are very inefficient - the wheel was invented for a reason," he added.

Yeah, no-one told the Empire that, eh?  Think how much more they could have tightened their fingers around star systems if they'd only put AT ATs on wheels!
:lol:

Hawkmumbler

Northern White Tailed Owl's are awsome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-GFZ4bdSiQ
A member of this species named "Popo-chan" was the subject of a Japanese television show. As shown, the owl has a rather notable defense mechanism. When faced with another owl slightly larger than it, the bird flares its wings to appear larger. When faced with something much larger than itself, it pulls its feathers inwards, elongates its body, and narrows its eyes to thin slits. It is thought that it uses this ability to camouflage itself, and it shares the ability with relatives like the African Scops Owl.

radiator

I got three comic pages pencilled this afternoon!

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 28 April, 2013, 08:13:09 PM
I got three comic pages pencilled this afternoon!

Congratulations! Although, unless your drawing jag was assisted in some way by photosynthesis or the third law of thermodynamics, I think you posted on the wrong thread, neebs.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 April, 2013, 12:14:28 AM
We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now

The Daily Record, displaying the fanatical conviction that Scots invented everything ever which is drummed into us at birth, reported that as evidence Bell never lost 'his distinctive Scottish burr'. While remarkable, I'm not sure that's evidence of anything other than why tetrapak cartons are not a suitable medium for sound recording.