Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 May, 2013, 01:47:24 PM
What I've often wondered is, how the feck did they discover the existence of atoms back in the 19th century?  Anyone got an easy-to-understand explanation for that?

Magnets
You may quote me on that.

Frank

Quote from: El Pops on 31 May, 2013, 02:33:28 PM
What I've often wondered is, how the feck did they discover the existence of atoms back in the 19th century?  Anyone got an easy-to-understand explanation for that?

Magnets

19th century observations and experiments were proof of an astonishingly old idea.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: sauchie on 31 May, 2013, 04:55:41 PM
Quote from: El Pops on 31 May, 2013, 02:33:28 PM

Magnets

19th century observations and experiments were proof of an astonishingly old idea.

Also the Gold Foil experiment was an elegant piece of science (although technically early 20th century). It's amazing to think we went from that to the Large Hadron Collider in a century.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks!  It's beginning to make sense now.  I love quantum physics, but I'm really shit at understanding it properly.
I'd heard that Democritus came up with the idea of atoms, but as far as I can see, it was just an astonishingly good guess.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Ancient Otter

Quote from: von Boom on 31 May, 2013, 12:13:08 PM
Quote from: El Pops on 31 May, 2013, 10:41:43 AM
First-ever high-resolution images of a molecule as it breaks and reforms chemical bonds

Those are pretty amazing images. I recognised the benzene ring structure immediately. The double bonded carbon atoms are distinctly visible from the single bonds. It was looking at my old organic chem text.

Like Von Boom says, simply amazing! I just get awestruck thinking about how people were able to figure the structure of molecules so far before the ability to see them like this.

Also, anyone see the Mammoth blood they found?

Jim_Campbell

That's not remotely alarming. Oh, nosireebob.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Sort of sciencey, and definitely fantastic, I spent some of a glorious cloudless night last night in a dark field blowing out my nerdometer with the reflecting telescope I'd forgotten I had painstakingly repaired over a miserably overcast winter.  Highlights included managing to see individual rings around Saturn and lying in carefully-positioned wait* for the whizzing ISS for an actual (very brief, very hectic) look at its bits'n'pieces!  Things finally misted up about 2.30am, but it was probably the best night's stargeeking I've ever had. 

*It was due to zip very close to Arcturus at about 1.10am this morning, which even a numbskull like me can find, and lo!  It did!  That's the science bit!

Hawkmumbler

I do keep meaning to do more stargazing. Just never found i was in the right place at the right time and forcasting took alot of the joy out of it.

O Lucky Stevie!

O Lucky Stevie!

The initial text-only message is free, but you can buy an unlimited number of text and photo messages that will be queued up and sent into space, officials said. After the first free communication, a text message costs one credit and a photo message costs three. Four credits can be purchased for $0.99.

This will not end well.

Brace yourselves for relatistic torpedoes at Christmas 2038.

TordelBack

The planetary bodies of the inner and outer solar system are just a whole different thing:

http://vimeo.com/19231255