Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Spikes

Lovely stuff. I may have to pinch one or two of those...

The Legendary Shark

They take forever to open on this 'phone but the ones I've seen are gorgeous. So sharp and clear, wonderful images.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

Aren't they just. I could look at images like these all day long.

Hawkmumbler

Kind of boggles your mind when you sit and think "I'm looking at a rock, like any other rock, on another celestial body". These pictures add a very wonderful tangibility to the fantasy of space exploration.

von Boom

Those photos are just so clear. Probably because there's none of that pesky atmosphere to obstruct the lens/sensor. Lovely images.

TordelBack

Clearly just the Gobi desert at night and some Lego Technic.

Can't stop looking at these. Perversely magical.

ZenArcade

The photo of the Rock is a joy.
Keats words : 'Thou foster child of silence and slow time' come to me over this image of some thing beautiful from deep time. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Jim_Campbell

Interesting findings about Mars taking much longer to lose its water than previously thought.

If life ever existed on a warmer, wetter Mars then this presumably makes the likelihood of extremophile microbial/bacterial life adapting to their increasingly-hostile environment more probable, rather than less...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Not to mention possible plant life, perhaps mosses and lichens.
www.msss.com/moc_gallery/m07_m12/images/M08/M0804688.html
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

A detailed library of raw images from Mars, listed day-by-day with details on which of the rover's cameras took them. Difficult for a layman like me to make a huge amount of sense of them without context or scale, but just fascinating nonetheless. The MastCam seems to have the best of them...

Cheers

Jim

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 December, 2014, 08:21:16 PM
If life ever existed on a warmer, wetter Mars

More interesting stuff on the processes by which Mars may have lost its atmosphere. Convincing in theory, it suggests a lower limit on the size of planet that can hang onto its atmosphere over cosmological timescales (ie, billions of years).

Cheers

Jim

The Legendary Shark

The Dawn spacecraft has begun its final approach to the Asteroid Belt dwarf planet Ceres. It is about to become the first spacecraft in history to leave the orbit of one previously unexplored celestial body and enter the orbit of another. How cool is that? The 'USS Enterprise' is another step closer...
dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/feature_stories/Dawn_spacecraft_begins_approach.asp
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spikes

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 23 December, 2014, 11:17:30 AM
Kind of boggles your mind when you sit and think "I'm looking at a rock, like any other rock, on another celestial body". These pictures add a very wonderful tangibility to the fantasy of space exploration.

Like this Martian sunset  -- http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/MarsSunset.jpg/1280px-MarsSunset.jpg

Or Earth as viewed from Mars -- http://www.space.com/24593-mars-rover-curiosity-sees-earth-photos.html

Not new photo's, but still I could marvel at these all day long..

JayzusB.Christ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algol

Jesus.  Nobody told me there was a Demon Star; nor that it was called after Liam Neeson.

Come on, yous, let's go there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"