Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 July, 2015, 09:26:53 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 July, 2015, 08:51:52 PM
Graham Brandons new series, Island #1, has an incredible opening issue. A beautifully ilustrated sci-fi comic and rightly put me in the mood for a Prophet marathon. I assume the local super fan of the aformentioned title will be giving this a pick up also.

Glad to hear good things about this. Sounded like an interesting format, so while I've never read Prophet, decided to give it a punt. Fingers crossed.

I'm here for the Prophet love-in.

One of my favorite comics over the past few years- and even more rewarding on a re-read.
It comes with a solid gold seal of approval.

I was recently wondering when the much delayed 'Earth War' mini would be starting, and it seems that it'll be the end of this month; http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Prophet+Earth+War+%231_1376512

So Colin; I've a feeling there'll be a full on Comixology sale of Graham's Prophet run to coincide with the release of Earth War- hold yer horses for a couple weeks.

The first issue of Grahams run used to be free on Comixology by the way, but they've since charged for it- still pretty cheap to try as a taster; https://www.comixology.eu/Prophet-21/digital-comic/19640?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

And proof that this thread is a valuable resource; Island passed me by- I'll definitely be picking this up, so cheers for the heads-up Hawk.

I'll retort with another gem I recently picked up; 8House: Arclight (https://www.comixology.eu/8house-Arclight-1/digital-comic/250197?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy)
Again, the reason for the purchase was Graham's name, but I was mesmerized by Churchland's artwork.
I actually bought it digital first, then picked it up again in my LCS a few days later in print. Recommended.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 16 July, 2015, 01:29:25 AM
Wagner's Spirit seems to have aped the early strip in tone and I found this one tough going to finish. So relentlessly old-fashioned in tone I finally realised it did exactly what it set out to, but that it was a simplistic gosh-darn it style I just don't care for.

Always feel a bit bad when something I harp on about is a complete miss for folk. Not that I disagree, just don't like wasting other folks money! I'm well immersed in The Spirit of old and so my filter is well and truly adjusted when approaching new takes. Some have stuck with the old tone, some haven't and have tried to add some modernity. Either way can work fine, but can see why people can put off.

If you approach Eisner's original material, while you still might not like it (you'd be a fool of course, a damned fool) at least you'd approach it forewarned as to what to expect. When you approach a modern take, you might not have that. Particularly when its done by a writer with the craft and vision of Matt Wagner, one from whom I have to be honest, I expected a less traditional take on things. For me it was a result, but I can defo see what Fungus might not get on with.

So sorry for that.

Fungus

Not a problem Colin :-)
I'm an unthinking fan where Wagner is concerned so it was always going to get a try-out. Just happens to be the only thing of his I haven't loved.

Hawkmumbler

I own a single issue of Eisners original spirit. It' a a cracking little self contained tale and I'd love to read more, and for what my opinions worth I loved Wagners take on the character. Horses for courses, as they say.

I would point out my otherwise fantastic week of comic was slightly marred by the absence of both One-Punch Man and Toriko, but you got to take it as it come's with the weekly titles.

PreacherCain

Whoa whoa whoa, hold yer horses. I've been pretty on board with Marvel's big Secret Wars event this summer. Both the main title and it's shedload of ancillary titles are all worth checking out, with Spurrier's Marvel Zombies first issue being a highlight.

But that mischievous Ewing droid just pulled off the biggest of Big Jobs. Has anyone else read Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders and noticed a few familiar faces?

Hopefully this won't lead to Marvel suing Rebellion in a few years for copyright infringement ;)

IronGraham

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 July, 2015, 04:50:54 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 16 July, 2015, 01:29:25 AM
Wagner's Spirit seems to have aped the early strip in tone and I found this one tough going to finish. So relentlessly old-fashioned in tone I finally realised it did exactly what it set out to, but that it was a simplistic gosh-darn it style I just don't care for.

Always feel a bit bad when something I harp on about is a complete miss for folk. Not that I disagree, just don't like wasting other folks money! I'm well immersed in The Spirit of old and so my filter is well and truly adjusted when approaching new takes. Some have stuck with the old tone, some haven't and have tried to add some modernity. Either way can work fine, but can see why people can put off.

If you approach Eisner's original material, while you still might not like it (you'd be a fool of course, a damned fool) at least you'd approach it forewarned as to what to expect. When you approach a modern take, you might not have that. Particularly when its done by a writer with the craft and vision of Matt Wagner, one from whom I have to be honest, I expected a less traditional take on things. For me it was a result, but I can defo see what Fungus might not get on with.

So sorry for that.

Don't worry Colin I really enjoyed The Spirit and am excited for the next issue
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Link Prime

I had two new number 1's by Mark Waid on my recent LCS pick-up; Strange Fruit (4 issue mini) and Archie (new ongoing).

Both quite excellent in their own right.

Strange Fruit seemingly asks; what would happen if Superman arrived in the Deep South of the early 20th century? And, oh yeah, he's black.
I've never been as a huge fan of J.G. Jones' work as some, but he's really stepped up a gear with this. Luscious painted artwork on display- he's never been better IMO.

Waid and the ever-excellent Fiona Staples serve up a slice of comfort-eating American pie with their Archie reboot.
I'm still not sure what made me buy it (perhaps my love & appreciation of the Archie Horror-verse), but I was very glad I did.
With this creative team, I doubt it's going to ship regularly- so I can afford to keep it on my pull list for the moment.

Two thumbs up.

Hawkmumbler

Their are few things more frustrating than a book that promises to ship on a certain date and day's latter, still no word.

'Glares at Corto and Bacchus with barely conealed frustration'

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 July, 2015, 01:24:46 PM
Their are few things more frustrating than a book that promises to ship on a certain date and day's latter, still no word.

Eh? I've had my copy of Bacchus for about ten days.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

'Frustration intensifies'

Pic's or it's a lie!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 July, 2015, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 July, 2015, 01:24:46 PM

Eh? I've had my copy of Bacchus for about ten days.

YOU WHAT! Really - arh come to poppa.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 July, 2015, 02:02:55 PM
'Frustration intensifies'

Pic's or it's a lie!
Got it the weekend before last when I was in Glasgow for about two hours. Hadn't realised the new Corto Maltese was meant to be out the same day so didn't think to look for that.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Bloody hell look at the size of it!

But it seem's my pouting was premature as I got a dispatch notice this morning. Thank christ.

Colin YNWA

The fact that its positioned next to 'The Atlas of Remote Islands' can't be a coincidence!

Anyway looks lovely and hope its not such a beast that its uncomfortable to read, which is what puts me off getting more omibusisesieseis. Still for Bacchus I will make whatever exceptions are required!

In other good news I too got a dispatch notice just now for both Bacchus AND the latest Corto - I'm dancing a jig of glee. 

Hawkmumbler

But enough waffling about all that! It's that most momentous of day's known only as NEW COMIC BOOK DAY!!!!

Aaaand i'm bereft. Mostly anyway. Gantz #36 hurtles the series towards it's ever gruesome, mind melting ending. Considered one of the hardest to read of sci-fi manga due to intense levels of violence and gore, it none the less is a riveting commentary on immigration and boarder control, arguably pulling it off better than our own Grey Area. Oku has really pulled all the strings to pull the series to as satisfying a conclusion as possible, but damn is their still a LOT to be resolved first.

And though it's felt like an age, Egos #8 finally lands and it's just as great as ever, a truely fantastic sci-fi romp with overtones of the good old Euro comic scene. Sad to see it'll be going so soon as well, with the next issue wrapping up the current 'Crunched' story arc. Hopefully it'll return soon.

Weekly Shonen Jump #34 brings the 'Dressrosa' arc of One Piece to a close. In My Hero Academia, however, the shit REALLY hits the fan and i'm actualy quite concerned about how high the body count for civilians and weaker hero's will be.