Main Menu

Rian Hughes

Started by Jimmy Baker's Assistant, 09 March, 2013, 01:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

After a much appreciated tip-off in the Marshal Law thread, I picked up the Tales From Beyond Science hardcover very cheaply and have just finished reading it.

The book is truly a thing of beauty, as indeed was the Yesterday's Tomorrows collection.

It seems Hughes' star has risen high over the years, and deservedly too. I have been a big fan since the original run of Dare in Revolver.

So my thoughts have turned to the Sam Slade material by Hogan and Hughes. I have never read it but now would dearly like to. Following on from the coloured Nemesis book, could this be Rebellion's next re-discovered gem?

IndigoPrime

They were all reprinted in Robo-Hunter Droid Files, vol 2.

As for Tales From Beyond Science, that was a nice surprise. The stories are variable but the book itself is great, with loads of attention to detail and fab extra comic covers/adverts. Well worth the money.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 March, 2013, 03:17:36 PM
They were all reprinted in Robo-Hunter Droid Files, vol 2.

So I understand, but cheaply and in black & white.

I have no intention of buying said volume but I would buy a nice, colour volume focusing only on the Hughes material. Preferably it would be harcover and over-sized. For the win, Amazon would also discount the cover price by about 75%.

Grant Goggans

I'd buy a (mostly) color volume of all of Peter Hogan's run of Robo-Hunter.  That's 13 episodes illustrated by Hughes (One of which is BW) and one episode illustrated by Simon Jacob.  That was absolutely one of the best things in 2000 AD in that period (1994-95).

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 09 March, 2013, 06:38:09 PM
I'd buy a (mostly) color volume of all of Peter Hogan's run of Robo-Hunter.  That's 13 episodes illustrated by Hughes (One of which is BW) and one episode illustrated by Simon Jacob.  That was absolutely one of the best things in 2000 AD in that period (1994-95).

I like both Hogan (he did some great stuff for ABC comics) and Jacob (Armoured Gideon!), so this plan works for me :)

Colin YNWA

Yeah I'm a big, big fan of the Hogan 'n' Hughes Robo-Hunter. As Grant says some of the best stuff from that period and really brought back the charm of the series after... well after that other stuff.

IndigoPrime

It's such a pity certain creators got so screwed over by circumstances and other issues at the time. Hogan wasn't the most exciting writer for some of his strips, but I'd have loved to have seen more Hogan/Hughes Robo-Hunter. It just clicked and worked so nicely. Similarly, Robinson's Medivac series just seemed to be teasing about this massive universe that never got explored. I guess that's the nature of comics sometimes, but it's frustrating. (Also, when I win every lottery in the world, I'll happily be cloning John Smith and having my Smith army regularly providing us with Devlin Waugh and Indigo Prime tales.)