Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: maryanddavid on 15 April, 2014, 10:44:02 PM
Litter gets on my goat too, I live in the country, along a little road that's popular with walkers, really nice scenery etc. Every couple of week you get the bin bags fired in the ditch.
There have been several court cases out of it, stupid fu*kers leaving letters with their addresses in the bags.

Glad to hear it.  More of this would be appreciated.  (The court cases, not the bin bags.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SuperSurfer

The walking dead ie those who walk like zombies blocking people's path eg on the pavement or tube. Are they oblivious to the tailback they create or do they do it on purpose? The worst offenders being those who piss about with their mobile phones while walking Slo-Mo style, elbows out making it nigh on impossible to circumnavigate around them.

On the other hand, people who try to organise their fellow commuters on the tube. Overconfident organiser types who momentarily forget they are bossing around underlings at their workplace and yell out orders along the lines of "Can you move along! Can you move along!" In some ways, reasonable behaviour – but it sure grinds my gears because the perpetrators come across as cocky, smug, brash, etc. 

One more. Those who are baffled by the concept of a doorway/entrance/exit and freeze when boarding or alighting from a bus or train as if they are preparing themselves for some sort of dimension jump. Go, stay, get off, don't get off, go, stay.

TordelBack

Along the same lines, people who stand motionless and silent in front of you in the endless checkout queue in Lidl, then slowly and carefully pack their 5,000 items in a complex nest of thermal bags, and then look in apparent puzzlement at the cashier when asked for money.  Whereupon they only then commence looking for their purse/wallet amongst their many-layered purchases.

There's always going to be a financial exchange here. Always.  Have your bloody money out, hell, pass the wasted hours of the queue estimating your bill so you have roughly the right cash.  Anything that would move things along.  But please don't look surprised by this unlikely turn of events.

Fungus

Yourself/myself.

This grinds my gears daily.
Just because 90% it seems get this wrong doesn't make them right.

Banners

Feedback.

Every time I seem to complete an online or phone transaction, I get an email, text or automated phone call asking for feedback. Orange expect you to play a bizarre game of '20 Questions'.

My feedback is to ask that you stop asking for feedback. Otherwise, I am happy to recommend ways to improve your business – if you're happy to pay my 'Management Consultancy' rate of £2,000 per hour.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 17 April, 2014, 12:22:59 AM
The walking dead ie those who walk like zombies blocking people's path eg on the pavement or tube.

Aye.  Similarly, those who walk three abreast on narrow pavements, those who stop for chats in shop doorways, and those who stop suddenly for an about-turn on crowded pavements then look incensed when you inevitably bump into them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 17 April, 2014, 12:22:59 AM
One more. Those who are baffled by the concept of a doorway/entrance/exit and freeze when boarding or alighting from a bus or train as if they are preparing themselves for some sort of dimension jump. Go, stay, get off, don't get off, go, stay.

I go down into a hole in the ground and I am then displaced in both space and time.... prove I am not making some sort of dimension jump!

What grinds my gears - bike lanes. Bloody bike lanes. A recipe for running into parked cars, having people turn into you, suddenly finding yourself thrown back onto the road without any space to join traffic, or where they are any good, they go straight across an offroad and the joining traffic is either parked directly across your path or about to go over you anyway as they are only looking at the main road - and certainly no signs indicate that a bike lane goes straight through there so really it is not their fault (bless the folk who notice and leave a gap). Most annoyingly of all, whenever they are under construction they say "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" and I say Sprock you nasshead.

Not to mention the 'super highways' or the worst idea ever, bike lanes that run straight through bus stops (i.e. the pavement, where people sit and stand and board their buses). Whatever government funding is secured by having bike lanes in your area should be removed from every single borough in Britain and someone who actually rides a bike should draw them out. So often make things worse rather than better.

Tiplodocus

People who refuse to acknowledge that language evolves and changes.

(Just kidding)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paddykafka

People on buses and other forms of public transport talking on their mobiles long and loudly. They are the primary reason that I have now all but given up using buses and so forth.

I've lost track of the number of times I've been stuck in the vicinity of some gobshite, waffling inanely on and on for-fucking-ever, about whatever aspect of their tedious, utterly inconsequential existences it is that they think they have some God-given right to annoy everyone else around them with. (And in my experience, women are the worst offenders of all).

Completely self-absorbed, stupid, ignorant, brain-dead, inconsiderate fucking morons!

What is wrong with simply saying to whoever is calling them: "I'm on the bus, etc. I'll call you back in X amount of minutes. Goodbye." ???

If Hell does exist, I have no doubt but that it will consist of an eternity welded to a bus seat and surrounded by dozens of these blathering shit-heads, all yakking away at full volume.

Trout

Dandontdare

Quote from: paddykafka on 17 April, 2014, 01:00:12 PM
People on buses and other forms of public transport talking on their mobiles long and loudly. They are the primary reason that I have now all but given up using buses and so forth.

Best tactic is to lean in and take an active interest in the conversation with eye contact and lots of oohs, aahs and comments at the appropriate points - when they get pissed off and tell you that it's a private conversation, you reply that if it was a private conversation, they'd be having it in private and what we've actually got here is a public conversation.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Trout on 17 April, 2014, 01:32:13 PM
This thread.

Link Prime you've got a lot to answer for. It's like you've opened Pandora's Box - a Pandora's Box full of inane gripes that are individually irritating in context but when combined in written form look hideously depressing. Willing to bet a 'aren't other humans nice...' thread wouldn't get such traction ;)

PROVE ME WRONG.

Recrewt

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 April, 2014, 08:49:28 PM
What grinds my gears is Marvel killing members of its colourful clan just to boost sales. To the point that they're just really weirdly flippant about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrb_uoKrQU - the Watcher gets his eyes pulled out and you get a variant version with glow-in-the-dark eyeballs. Don't know about you but this lapsed Marvelite is kind of sad about it.

HaHa!  That is excellent - I need to get me some Watcher eyeballs.

Fungus

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 April, 2014, 12:31:11 PM
People who refuse to acknowledge that language evolves and changes.

I don't acknowledge the platypus.

Skullmo

Quote from: Recrewt on 17 April, 2014, 02:02:52 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 April, 2014, 08:49:28 PM
What grinds my gears is Marvel killing members of its colourful clan just to boost sales. To the point that they're just really weirdly flippant about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIrb_uoKrQU - the Watcher gets his eyes pulled out and you get a variant version with glow-in-the-dark eyeballs. Don't know about you but this lapsed Marvelite is kind of sad about it.

That clip is so annoying
It's a joke. I was joking.