Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 May, 2014, 10:28:26 AM... that sort of swooshy haircut they all seem to have...

Professional jealousy amongst the enhaired. 

Dandontdare

the thing that bugs me in gigs, especially with the support bands that nobody has actually come to see, is over-egged, almost bullying, exhortations to get up/clap/sing along. If the crowd haven't been sufficiently whipped up by the music, you're not going to get 'em dancing by shouting at them.

JamesC

Similar to the above, I hate it when you're drinking in a pub in the early evening and the pub band fanny around for ages doing sound checks and tuning up. It's really irritating and on one gives a fuck about the levels anyway.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Really? You can't put up with it for all five minutes it takes to sound check in a pub? Five minutes of sound checks is preferable to an entire set interspersed with screeching feedback.

If it takes the band longer than five minutes to do their sound checks, that's basically a fair warning that they're shite and you should probably find somewhere else to drink
You may quote me on that.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 May, 2014, 10:28:26 AM
Went to a gig (a free one :thumbsup:) last night and the first band (third support) did that thing  - they were all about 15 years younger than everyone else and had a full entourage - and when they'd finished they went and sat elsewhere in the pub and ignored the other two bands. Didn't leave - just didn't engage with them - and talked loudly amongst themselves for the rest of the night. I know you're not obligated to watch the other bands on the bill but at least go full douche and leave rather than filling the non-gig bit with scoffing teens with that sort of swooshy haircut they all seem to have.

Were all three bands on tour together?

CrazyFoxMachine

Nope - that night was the first time the three bands had played together to my knowledge.

Also said band uploaded a photo of their set today and simply went "good gig for us - our next is at ...." noice - love a sociable group.

JamesC

Quote from: Mister Pops on 02 May, 2014, 02:06:21 PM
Really? You can't put up with it for all five minutes it takes to sound check in a pub? Five minutes of sound checks is preferable to an entire set interspersed with screeching feedback.

If it takes the band longer than five minutes to do their sound checks, that's basically a fair warning that they're shite and you should probably find somewhere else to drink

Five minutes is fine but I've been in plenty of pubs where they take a good hour. Some times they'll play most of a song and then stop, fiddle with the levels and start the same song again. Yes it probably is a sign that the band is shite but when I'm having a pint an hour before they're supposed to start and I wasn't planning on watching them anyway the whole thing becomes an intrusive annoyance.

Trout

Yesterday I photographed some up-and-coming boy band at a surprise performance they gave for some schoolkids, and was part of a bemused group who couldn't quite understand why they were insisting on a sound check.

It was a school gym, FFS. It's not going to sound good.

Anyway, they were all far too clean for my liking. I remember when music was all about torn clothes and gobbing.

- Old fart

JayzusB.Christ

Unless there's a band on I specifically went to the venue to see, I don't like live music in pubs at all.  Live bands take over the whole place - they're not some kind of background entertainment you put on for people who are out for a drink and a chat.  If you came for a drink and a chat, they're just really annoying.  Especially if they play that 'and if you close your eyes' shite, which they did, twenty minutes ago when I was having a pint in my local.
</even worse old fart>
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CrazyFoxMachine

Oooh I'm an angry Jonathan (that's not an expression but maybe it should be) today.

I know I've likely been guilty of this - so it's probably why I'm so aggravated about it but I asked at the beginning of April for a chap to give me a hand with some art - he agreed and said he'd do it by the end of the week...

So then it's May and nowt - I ask again on Tuesday and he says "yes! Sorry I forgot, will do it today" and I need this thing by Thursday. He understands and says it'll be done.

So now it's Saturday and he's tweeting about his plans to while away the day playing games and I sort of snapped.

I don't mind what he does of a Saturday - honestly don't. Just wish he would have told me he wouldn't have time to do it in the first place. It is as simple as this:

Do I have time to do this?

No

Then I won't agree to do it.

I've missed my Thursday deadline, this thing hasn't got done - and not only does he not remember it enough to apologise (or do it, most importantly) but he's openly not actually doing anything.

Just - try and be as honest as possible about your timings - it's of PARAMOUNT IMPORTANCE FOR THE SANITY OF EVERYONE.

The Doctor Alt 8

The fact that I have contracted yet another cold my 3rd in 4 months.

This one is the most severe... Yesterday morning I actually phoned my GP surgery to get an emergency appointment. Instead I was called back by one of the GPs who after explaining/ confirming my symptoms wrote out a prescription for A daly dose of 2000 mg of antibiotics...

I am convinced that a major factor of these infections are the fithly state of the library PCs and the air conditioning system in the Thornton Heath branch of the library... I never had this when I mostly used Croydon... But how can I prove it?

TordelBack

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 03 May, 2014, 06:45:55 PM...I was called back by one of the GPs who after explaining/ confirming my symptoms wrote out a prescription for A daly dose of 2000 mg of antibiotics...

Antibiotics for a cold?  Surely a cold is a virus and antibiotics are for bacterial infections - which would maybe fit better with your dirty-library hypothesis.   Those PCs are going to finish you off one way or another!

Either way, seems pretty bloody miserable.  Get well soon, Doc!

The Doctor Alt 8

I had the symptoms for over 3 days which usually means that there is an underlying bacterial infection. I once put off going to the doctors for 3 weeks... When I eventually got there I was told that I had pustules and put on high strength antibiotics.... This time it was worse....

M.I.K.

That poem doing the rounds is maudlin crap,
I've been antisocial for years without need of an app.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: M.I.K. on 04 May, 2014, 10:12:30 PM
That poem doing the rounds is maudlin crap,
I've been antisocial for years without need of an app.

HA!

You're a poet
Yet you were unaware

...no that's not right, that's not right at all...
You may quote me on that.