Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: ZenArcade on 08 June, 2014, 08:46:43 PM
Anyone tried kimchi (I think that's how it's spelled); a Korean spiced cabbage?

Yep, kimchi is lovely too, savoury, slightly spicy with a crunchy texture. Of you like miso you'd probably appreciate it. In fact I have some in my fridge right now. It's another fermented kind of thing - when you first open the jar it expands and bubbles and fizzes. It says on the jar if it doesn't taste strong enough you should leave it unrefridgerated for a few days to fester some more!

ZenArcade

I'm keen to try, where do you get it....bear in mind I live in cosmopolitan Belfast.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

radiator

Ha, unless there's a Korean restaurant you might not be in luck. They sell it in the supermarkets here in Portland. Must be a large Korean population.

Theblazeuk

There must be an Asian supermarket somewhere in Belfast

http://asiabelfast.com/ for example. Not to generalise but around these parts alot of the Chinese supermarkets have a little section of Korean food too.

If this place is open you should try it! http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/cafe-arirang-belfast

Seems like the other Korean place in Belfast has shut down which is a shame. Korean food is delicious. Kimchi is a great side/starter/ingredient and everyone should have a proper Bimimbap (rice + veg + meat in a *hot* stone bowl with eggs cracked in at the end. Throw in Kimchi and chilli sauce as desired...)

ZenArcade

There is a Chinese supermarket at the bottom of Agincourt avenue (I think); I'll give them a ring. If not I have some local Chinese friends who may know. Cheers Z

Theblazeuk

Only the bananas go bad in my abode but it doesn't grind my gears as they end up mushed into glorious American pancakes every Sunday.

What really grinds my gears? Working in TV and people say stupid things like "Tuesday's Pointless has a typo". Where? Where is the typo? Which Tuesday? Last or next or tommorow? Where is the typo? BE SPECIFIC. Time and date and channel. Would it kill you.

radiator

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 09 June, 2014, 10:27:51 AM
There must be an Asian supermarket somewhere in Belfast

http://asiabelfast.com/ for example. Not to generalise but around these parts alot of the Chinese supermarkets have a little section of Korean food too.

If this place is open you should try it! http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/cafe-arirang-belfast

Seems like the other Korean place in Belfast has shut down which is a shame. Korean food is delicious. Kimchi is a great side/starter/ingredient and everyone should have a proper Bimimbap (rice + veg + meat in a *hot* stone bowl with eggs cracked in at the end. Throw in Kimchi and chilli sauce as desired...)

There's food carts all over Portland - and a huge load of them downtown where you can get a great Korean BBQ - mounds of sticky, sweet chicken with rice and a side of kimchi - for $6/7 (about £4, and, like most meals in America, the portion size is enough for lunch and dinner!). Might have to get that for lunch again today!

radiator

We should probably spin this off into a food thread...?

ZenArcade

CrazyFoxMachine

Or a whole new Food Discussion section.

and we'll all be waiting for the "Best Tiffin Ever" thread.  :o

I, Cosh

My pal's wife is Korean and, for some unknown reason, her mother sends regular packages of homemade kimchi to wherever in the world they happen to be living. This sometimes causes awkwardness at the post office.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

That's the cool thing, it takes yonks to go off (I'm told)....gotta hand it to the Koreans. Z

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 09 June, 2014, 05:45:21 PM
We should probably spin this off into a food thread...?

On an internet forum for comic book nerds, wouldn't that just devolve into a discussion of which flavour of Pot Noodle goes best with Diet Coke?

ZenArcade

Working on the principle of the perversity of the Universe tending to the maximum (thanks Larry Niven): It'd probably transform into a topic on what really annoys people! Now quickly back to food before we become in danger if going back on thread Z ;)

TordelBack

What really grinds my gears are immensely long government tender forms which have the requirement 'practice must demonstrate that it has traded for more than two years' hidden deep in the small print, which you only see after you've spent the whole evening typing repetitive crap into a recalcitrant macro-ridden document.  In your 5th month of operation.

How is one supposed to trade for two years as a supplier of services to government if one is not eligible to supply services to government until one has done so for two years?

I suspect Nately's whore has had a hand in this.