Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: King Pops on 17 March, 2015, 02:42:52 AM
Quote from: radiator on 17 March, 2015, 01:44:02 AM
**And don't even get me started on how many people filmed their videos in portrait.  ::)
Pretty much everyone agrees moving pictures look wrong and off in portrait. When there's to big black strips taking up a great deal of the screen, it just looks shitty. Why is it even possible to film in portrait?
Ha ha. One of the great things about the internet in general and threads like this in particular is finding out about things you never even knew were supposed to annoy you. What's the problem with filming in portrait? Is it going to turn out to be one of those things like kerning where it's me that's weird because it doesn't bother me.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 March, 2015, 08:55:03 AM
Is it going to turn out to be one of those things like kerning where it's me that's weird because it doesn't bother me.

You're dead to me, man.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

QuoteSure, anybody can learn how to save files properly but, by the same token, anybody can learn how to dismantle, repair and rebuild any type of machine; how to draw or paint; how to write to a professional standard; how to design and construct a house; how to manage a farm or grow all your own food; how to extract medicines and remedies from natural resources; how to sink wells and purify water and any number of other things - but who has the time?

Oh, come off it - the things you're talking about are complex skills that would require hundreds - if not thousands - of hours of practice and/or training to accomplish, whereas transferring files from a phone to a laptop, or sending files via Wetransfer require you to click 3-5 buttons on your computer screen - and if that's somehow too demanding, you can hit up Youtube for a tutorial video that will hold your hand every step of the way.

I can understand someone choosing to be a luddite back when there was no internet and computers ran on obtuse, unintuitive software, but pretty much everyone now uses a computer of some kind every single day, and they've have never been easier to use. Granted I have an advantage, but thanks to wonderfully intuitive software, Google and Youtube I learned how to edit video the other day for the aforementioned video in ten minutes flat.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 17 March, 2015, 03:40:50 PM
I can understand someone choosing to be a luddite back when there was no internet and computers ran on obtuse, unintuitive software, but pretty much everyone now uses a computer of some kind every single day, and they've have never been easier to use.

The Managing Director of a company I once worked for took so much pride in his refusal to engage with technology that his PA used to have to print off his emails hourly and put the hard copies on his desk. He would hand write his responses across the bottom and she would have to type up and send the reply.

This was the mid '00s and he was in his late forties or early fifties, so we're not talking about the early days of emails or a complete dinosaur. Suffice to say that he was, in almost every other respect [spoiler]an unutterable cunt my loathing for whom is almost unmatched by any other man I have met in person.[/spoiler]

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

QuoteThe Managing Director of a company I once worked for took so much pride in his refusal to engage with technology that his PA used to have to print off his emails hourly and put the hard copies on his desk. He would hand write his responses across the bottom and she would have to type up and send the reply.

Reminds me of my other sister who has made a conscious decision to be a luddite as some sort of contrarian lifestyle choice. I just don't get why you'd actively choose to make yourself less employable in an increasingly digital world.

As for kerning - to the untrained eye it's a subtle thing, but as with most aspects of design it's all about clarity and legibility. A road sign with bad kerning could actually be dangerous, for example.

JayzusB.Christ

I just looked up kerning and discovered it's also called 'mortising'. I didn't get much further in the Wikipedia article, and am forced to conclude that kerning means this:

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 17 March, 2015, 03:57:48 PM
QuoteThe Managing Director of a company I once worked for took so much pride in his refusal to engage with technology that his PA used to have to print off his emails hourly and put the hard copies on his desk. He would hand write his responses across the bottom and she would have to type up and send the reply.

Reminds me of my other sister who has made a conscious decision to be a luddite as some sort of contrarian lifestyle choice. I just don't get why you'd actively choose to make yourself less employable in an increasingly digital world.

I guess for the same reasons that some people seem to be proud of the fact that they 'can't boil an egg'. 

Having said that I don't think it's very helpful that products like the iPad come in a box with absolutely no instructions. You should have seen the amount of old people asking for help in the Apple shop after Xmas!

Fungus

Asking everyone to make and send video clips sending birthday wishes sounds quite presumptuous to me. Like a wedding gift list, but worse. To then be disappointed in the FORMAT or lack of engagement from people? Yep, that's impatience.

Grumpus !

Edit: wouldn't at least some people be a bit self-conscious at this?

Grugz

my gears grind my gears, after dusting off the pushbike after a year in hibernation I remembered the gears are crap, probably my technical ineptitude as its a nordend mountain bike, I don't need all those gears and the handle bar mounted changer is annoying it keeps slipping and chucking me in the wrong gear wich is annoying going up hill when it suddenly becomes impossible to pedal or on a flat when I suddenly go into hill climb gear causing me to nearly come off due to foot slippage.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

radiator

Quote from: Fungus on 17 March, 2015, 05:04:13 PM
Asking everyone to make and send video clips sending birthday wishes sounds quite presumptuous to me. Like a wedding gift list, but worse. To then be disappointed in the FORMAT or lack of engagement from people? Yep, that's impatience.

As well as making some pretty hefty (and false) assumptions of your own, you've also missed the point of what I was saying.

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 March, 2015, 08:55:03 AM
What's the problem with filming in portrait? Is it going to turn out to be one of those things like kerning where it's me that's weird because it doesn't bother me.

See also: Comic Sans.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Grugz on 17 March, 2015, 05:14:05 PM
my gears grind my gears, after dusting off the pushbike after a year in hibernation I remembered the gears are crap, probably my technical ineptitude as its a nordend mountain bike, I don't need all those gears and the handle bar mounted changer is annoying it keeps slipping and chucking me in the wrong gear wich is annoying going up hill when it suddenly becomes impossible to pedal or on a flat when I suddenly go into hill climb gear causing me to nearly come off due to foot slippage.

If you replace your chain, it may work better. You may have to replace the derailleurs (gears) too, maybe front or back. Depends how much wear. But replacing your chain will keep wear and tear on the rest down to a minimum... as will cleaning it after use or oiling it up before you start out after hibernation.

Still I am one to talk I never get around to doing this myself due to lazyness :)

Fungus

Quote from: radiator on 17 March, 2015, 07:07:22 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 17 March, 2015, 05:04:13 PM

As well as making some pretty hefty (and false) assumptions of your own, you've also missed the point of what I was saying.

No offence meant. I do think people's relationship with technology is their business, though. If I have a point, please take it that this is mine.

Richmond Clements

Why can't people wait until everybody who's getting off gets off the bus before they get on?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.