Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 February, 2016, 07:09:00 PM
I don't like to define myself as English since I tend to associate that with the likes of the bullingdon club, the royal family, aristocracy, Imperial domination and the associated post colonial mess etc.  This starts off all sorts of disagreements, some of which I would agree with. 

Not having a pop at you Tjm86, and I'm sure you've heard this all before, but Ive never really understood the sentiment quoted above. And it's not an uncommon one, either.
But why do we let those kind of people, and those establishments, own England, and English identity, to such an extent that people take themselves out of the equation?

The Legendary Shark

Because it's easier to control and influence a vast number of people by instilling in them a sense of nationality, based on arbitrary lines on a map, than recognising the truth - we're all Earthlings.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 February, 2016, 11:07:52 AM
Because it's easier to control and influence a vast number of people by instilling in them a sense of nationality, based on arbitrary lines on a map, than recognising the truth - we're all Earthlings Earthlets.

FTFY

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SuperSurfer

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 February, 2016, 11:07:52 AM
Because it's easier to control and influence a vast number of people by instilling in them a sense of nationality, based on arbitrary lines on a map, than recognising the truth - we're all Earthlings.
A noble ideal. Yet we are all a product of the environment and culture we grew up in, whether we like it or not. And that shapes our personality. Borders and nation states are only a part of the equation, as is ethnicity/religion/culture/heritage – call it whatever you want.

I think some people tend to see this in more simplistic terms than in other parts of the world where borders change and people can go to bed of one nationality and then wake up the next day of a different nationality – yet still belong to a distinct group.

But yes, arbitrary lines on maps to control people –used to devasting effect in particular in the Africa and Middle East colonial carve-ups.

Tjm86

Quote from: Spikes on 24 February, 2016, 09:34:20 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 23 February, 2016, 07:09:00 PM
I don't like to define myself as English since I tend to associate that with the likes of the bullingdon club, the royal family, aristocracy, Imperial domination and the associated post colonial mess etc.  This starts off all sorts of disagreements, some of which I would agree with. 

Not having a pop at you Tjm86, and I'm sure you've heard this all before, but Ive never really understood the sentiment quoted above. And it's not an uncommon one, either.
But why do we let those kind of people, and those establishments, own England, and English identity, to such an extent that people take themselves out of the equation?

It is a fair point and most likely where my mother is coming from.  It is the appropriation of English identity that I find most offensive with the associated concept of hierarchy.  The idea of being considered some kind of 'lesser being' simply because you have slightly different values like for instance actually considering people human even though they might struggle to find a job or have some sort of mental health / substance abuse problem.  The fact that you consider providing a quality service to your customers and building a lasting business rather than rapine commerce that only sees shareholder satisfaction as a valid metric as being an indicator that you do in fact have some sort of mental health problem.

I don't see your criticism as having a pop by the way.  I'm more than happy for people to point to where there are flaws in my thinking.

Link Prime

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
Anyway, y'know what really grinds my gears?

F-ckin movie adverts that name the release date numerically.

Example; "The Raid 2. In cinemas April 10".
When's April 10? Anytime near April 10th?

I will now step up the irrational anger and derision from the very origin of this thread to DEFCON 1.

Saw an advert on telly last night for a new film (The Forest).
When is it cinemas you ask?

Why "Feb 26" of course. Yes FEB.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 February, 2016, 10:48:33 AM

I will now step up the irrational anger and derision from the very origin of this thread to DEFCON 1.

and we can add adverts that list prices as single numbers : "This can be yours for just four five nine nine"

Banners

Quote from: Link Prime

Guilty. I often abbreviate months to three letters because it makes layout easier and the overall look more uniform.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Banners on 26 February, 2016, 11:42:26 AM
Guilty. I often abbreviate months to three letters because it makes layout easier and the overall look more uniform.

Yup. The number of comic covers I do each year, it's so much easier to make the little Issue No/ Price/ Date block look tidy if you keep the month to three letters.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Fair enough for that purpose.
But for an advert to spout the words "Feb twenty six". Just no.

I, Cosh

This is fine as long as you always use two digits for the date.
We never really die.

JamesC

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 February, 2016, 11:07:12 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 26 February, 2016, 10:48:33 AM

and we can add adverts that list prices as single numbers : "This can be yours for just four five nine nine"

This would normally annoy me but I really fancy the girl on the SCS furniture adverts so I let it slide in her case.

Satanist

As we're on ads the new insurance ad with the opera singer says the word "FANTASTIC" 5 times in 30 seconds and I don't know why but that really pisses me off.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

richerthanyou

People who live in big cities. Why are they all so unfriendly? I get that you can't say morning to everyone you walk past or you would be there to sundown, but they all look so miserable!

I can't wait to get out of here.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)