Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2021

Started by Dash Decent, 14 August, 2020, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Credit to Rebellion: rather than rely solely on reprint, they've spent a lot of time commissioning new material and giving existing and new comics creators work.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 October, 2020, 02:51:00 PM
There's presumably a Universe out there where Rebellion released the bulk of these Treasury books first, and then started The Vigilant, once the reprints of these half-forgotten characters were mostly back in print...  We're in the bizarro version, where they did it the other way around.

There's a degree of cart before horse going on, but given that the team on The Vigilant all seem up for the idea of continuing it, I suppose there's nothing stopping Rebellion from revisiting the strip once more of these archive releases are out there.

I guess there was a strong argument for trying something like The Vigilant first - it sends out a signal that Rebellion are invested in making use of the archive as more than a nostalgic reprint factory, and that they believe the characters have potential for modern audiences - but I think it might have been a bit more effective with a little more room to breathe and a little more archive material out there first. Difficult balancing act, though, and I don't envy Rebellion's editorial crew trying to manage the prog and Meg and their respective graphic novel/prose lines, as well as Treasury releases and "New Archive" material like the Smash, Cor/Buster, Misty/Scream specials etc.

Colin YNWA

Its possible Rebellions thinking was the other way around though. They thought The Vigilant would find a market and act as a way to push an audience to archieve materials from 50+ years ago. I guess that was the thinking (guess of course).

The problem is a release schedule of once a year doesn't allow something to gain traction?

Dark Jimbo

All good points. I suppose it's a situation where an argument could be made for doing it either way.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Monarch

they are canny those rebellion blokes stick a chris weston cover on it and my interest is already piqued

Dark Jimbo

Judge Dredd Case Files 36 - 4th Feb 2021

Judge Dredd has brought countless monsters to justice but now the ultimate killing machines, cinema's most famous xenomorphs, surface in Mega-City One and it may well be more than the Justice Department can handle!

Progs 1302-1335 and Megs 4.14-4.18. Seem to remember a question some years ago as to whether Dredd vs Aliens would feature in the Case Files owing to rights issues, so great to see it's going to be included. Seems a bit of a missed oppurtunity not to have put a lovely Henry Flint xenomorph on the cover, though!
@jamesfeistdraws

The Monarch

presumably different rights to get it on the cover than getting it inside maybe?

broodblik

Cannot wait to get the case files #36. Then I will have access to all the Dredd stories ever published in the prog and meg.

The Dredd vs Aliens is a great Dredd story plus some of Flint's best work
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Which contains the following stories:

Prog

A Tree Grows In Elia Kazan
Case For The Defence
Give Me Liberty
Rotten Manners
Voices Off
An Everyday Disaster
Class Project
Zoom Time
Waiting
Out of the Undercity
Reprisal
Open Justice
After Hours
Dead Funny
Sniping
Judge Dredd vs. Aliens: Incubus

Meg

One of Our Simps is Missing
The Girlfriend
The Radlander

...And the end of numbering the Meg by "volumes"
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Colin YNWA

So January line-up confirmed as:

Dredd (of course)
Durham Red
Proteus Vex
Hershey
Slaine

I think that's strong but also suspect it might be a bit devicive!

broodblik

Yes, quite true both Hersey and Slaine got a lot of criticism the last few years. I do like the line-up tough. But whom does not like  a good "word"-fight?

Barrington Boots

Bogus. I really did not enjoy the latest Slaine and Hershey series whatsoever.
Looks a bit bleak for January then as far as I'm concerned, but very willing to have my mind changed.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

We can always hypnotize you to like  these thrills or just do the following every morning you look at the mirror and tell yourself "I will like these thrills" 3 times.