Main Menu

Shift Comic - new UK anthology

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 September, 2020, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 October, 2021, 08:04:09 PM
Good news - be very interested to see how this does. Also be very interested to see who the other original art teirs might be - the Facebook page suggests there will be others. Would love a Kora page (if its not digital?)

Ha! Well it turns out there was a tier which offered a page of Kora art - so I've like backed that in the blink of an eye!

FANTASTIC - chuffed.

Colin YNWA

Almost there already - at the time of typing less than £600 of a £4000 target to go. Fingers crossed by the end of the day we're good.

In case you fancy backing...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shiftcomic/shift-comics-anthology-the-winter-special/comments

rogue69

Full funded in 18 hours but still a lot of good rewards available such as Geoff Senior artwork, Barry Kitson artwork, complete run of Shift + specials & Alan Langford signed print

Colin YNWA

Quote from: rogue69 on 30 October, 2021, 02:46:48 PM
Full funded in 18 hours but still a lot of good rewards available such as Geoff Senior artwork, Barry Kitson artwork, complete run of Shift + specials & Alan Langford signed print

Yeah great news and as said t still loads of lovely stuff up for grabs - including the early bird odders are still up for grabs. Fingers crossed having flown past its target this one goes onto great things.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

this comic is a dream, really, isn't it?

rogue69

They have added this add on for a 20-page book of Simon Furman's scripts, background notes and designs is signed by Simon himself. Limited to only 50 copies, it's also a steal at only £6.00,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shiftcomic/shift-comics-anthology-the-winter-special/posts/3351992

Tomwe

I'm in for the variant, the script book and a slipcase. I'd be up for a Scott Morse commission if I had the £££.

Colin YNWA

Oh and there's a hardcover option now, which I'm tempted by given that will make it feel like an old X-Mas annual?

Anyway Issue 9 landed have to say its really brimming with action as all the stories smash forward.

The one bad thing about the issue (well there may be another) is this is the penultimate part of my favourite strip Kora, which will finish in the new years issue 10. This episode certainly acts as the all action set piece at the end and as Kora is endangered, her allies swoop in and we sit with banted breathe to see how this one, and Kora herself lands. Brilliant as ever.

I'm still struggling to find my place in Crucible and the worst of it is I'm not sure I'm tempted to re-read to find my way.

Shifter cranks up the thriller elements. Our villains are a little too cliche to be fun but the episode is very effective and I've enjoyed the way this one has moved on.

Soulwind focus in on it villains and is another fantastic episode. Nicely different to the action that surrounds it and adding a great bit of balance.

To the Death swings things back with another example of the nail hard action adventure tone of this issue. It really is just action movie set piece - but great fun for it and brilliantly choreographed.

So yeah very interesting issue this time. Feels much more like a long, action packed 2000ad prog than Shift normally does. All the hard posturing also mean that's no space for text, or feature so this really is the leanest, meanest issue to date and quite refreshing for that.

Goosegash

How is it I was able to read something like Revere without getting confused as to what was supposed to be going on, and yet I have absolutely no idea what is happening in Crucible? It's just characters shouting bafflingly context-free dialogue at each other and I've completely lost track of what they're supposed to be doing and who anyone is. It's just throwing too much STORY at you all at once and not taking it's time to establish the world and why we should care about these people.

Compared to how clear and concise the storytelling is in all the other strips it's really letting the side down.

Otherwise another cracking issue and I'm really glad this has survived a full year, despite all the pandemic-related complications.

Tomontherun94

Anyone else ordered #9 on GMC and not had it shipped yet? Not had any problems with other items I've ordered from them (The Empire special just shipped) but it still says "yet to be released" on the order.

Barrington Boots

Empire special arrived today: I have a signed Kitson print too.
I've only had a quick skim but looks like a nice package. I really hope this has sold well and we get more collections like this.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 10 January, 2022, 02:32:00 PM
Empire special arrived today: I have a signed Kitson print too.
I've only had a quick skim but looks like a nice package. I really hope this has sold well and we get more collections like this.

Yeah mine arrived too with the signed print - which is nice. Is a wonderfully chunky old thing for the price and looking forward to eventually reading it. The Winter Special won't be too far behind that I believe as well.

The thing is though I wonder when we'll get the next issue proper? All these special projects are lovely and clearly keeping folks very busy BUT I miss the regular comic which is just SOOOOO good. Things had pretty much got to the hoped for 5-6 week schedule but, understandly with all this other stuff, that's slipped and I miss the regular title!

Barrington Boots

I burned through Empire and what a nihilistic read it is!
I don't really like superhero stuff nowdays so was pleased that was kept to a minmum here. An absolute downer full of horrific characters but a really engaging read.
I really liked the format and if Shift are able to put out more of these specials in this 'GN lite' sort of format I'd be all for it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

After issue 10 Shift start volume 2 as there new stories starting this issue including a Liam Sharp strip - The Ghost in the Sword,
This joins the line up of To The Death, Shifter, Muscle Memory (sequel to Lyndon Webb's Perfect Shot), Elephentmen War Toys... with more to be added!

rogue69

Shift will be at LFCC Spring on the 26th & 27th February and will be holding signings from Barry Kitson (his first UK Con in 5 years), Simon Furman, Geoff Senior, Lee Milner, Chris Geary & Hal Laren