Disney To Reboot Firefly.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 09 December, 2021, 01:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

I'm not sure I care anymore about new Firefly. I was bitterly disappointed when it was cancelled. Then we got Serenity, which wasn't the best standalone film, but it was a cracking season 2 finale. When that was canned, my hope was the gap would be filled in the comics, but they turned out to be bollocks. And although there was a short window in which they could have kicked things off again, it was clearly never going to materialise.

The question is whether it's a strong enough property within itself for a reboot. I mean, possibly, but an awful lot of Firelfy hung on its cast, the characters, and the direction of the show (settings; relatively grown-up; a sense of relative realism)—most of which is likely going to be for the chop. At which point you've got, what, a story about some scrappy folks trying to get by in a sort-of Western take on outer space, while avoiding the lawmakers from the inner planets?

I suspect part of the above reaction stems from The Expanse, which did much of what Firefly tried to achieve, only far, far better. I'm going to miss that once the upcoming final series aired. I guess at least we'll get an ending there, rather than the show just stopping.

broodblik

The big thing that worked for me was the cast and if they can not bring back the original cast then please no reboot required
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

von Boom

Nah. It'll never have the same magic of the original cast and writing. There would be too much handwringing to make it work.

Funt Solo

Voyager worked. Deep Space Nine (eventually) worked.

I reckon that universe could be revisited, and even some of the characters could pop up again as guest stars, but trying to recreate the same show in the same universe would fail.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Echo the comments of others here... can't see this working. The setting isn't what makes this, it's the characters and I'd be stunned if that particular lightning can be captured twice.
Because of it's revered status they'll likely be excessive fanservice, and I suspect what we'll end up with is what we've just seen with Cowboy Bebop where the creators make something that cheeses off both old fans and new watchers and bombs horribly.

You're a dark horse, Boots.