Thrills Over Time

Started by Funt Solo, 09 January, 2021, 07:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andrew_J

Cool. Are there more of these to come?

Funt Solo

I'm open to requests - I was just curious as to how prolific this strip was over time.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andrew_J

I'd be interested to see how other long running, but intermittent, strips ebb and flow over the years:

• ABC Warriors
    Anderson PSI Division
    Durham Red
    Nikolai Dante
    Slaine

Colin YNWA

Oh Funt Solo you are something to treasure. That takes your genius to a whole different level.

Out of interest what are the totals? I'm assuming you could easily bang out the total number of episodes and pages. I remember once approximating (and it was very approximate) that Sinister Dexter was around 100 odd issues of a typical US series (I think, it was about 10 years ago I think). So I think I got to 100 x 22 pages (as it was then!) = 2200 - maybe a few more as I slightly very estimated the average page count to take into account double sized issues and the odd special.

I don't think I have the details of any of that anymore but would love to see what specific data you have.

Funt Solo

I realized that I'd forgotten to include Downlode Tales, so I've updated it to include that:

I'd already included Malone, and the recent start of Dexter. It's only strip pages, and counts double-episodes as single episodes. It doesn't include covers, or text stories, or teaser posters, or 2021.

Total episodes (or, appearances) is 435, and total pages is 2381. (And 183 stories, although that splits out things like Bulletopia and The Generican Dream into separate parts.)

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DrJomster

Very nice chart indeed!

I wonder what caused the break in 2012?
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Andrew_J on 09 January, 2021, 09:35:29 PM
I'd be interested to see how other long running, but intermittent, strips ebb and flow over the years:

• ABC Warriors
  • Anderson PSI Division
  • Durham Red
  • Nikolai Dante
  • Slaine

Nikolai Dante and Slaine will be straightforward. The other's are tricky due to crossovers so will be longer projects.

Quote from: DrJomster on 09 January, 2021, 11:17:10 PM
Very nice chart indeed!

I wonder what caused the break in 2012?

Thanks. 2011 saw the series come to a potential close with the end of Apocalypse Shtick. In the festive Prog 2012, our heroes walk away into a blank void of nothingness. It felt like the end:

(I don't know, though, whether that was intended as the end.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Okay, this one was fun:

I counted 365 episodes and 2346 pages (but I didn't count posters, teasers or covers).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Adding key story titles felt worthwhile on Slaine, so...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Nikolai Dante:

293 episodes and 1834 pages (from 64 stories).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 January, 2021, 11:16:01 PM
Total episodes (or, appearances) is 435, and total pages is 2381. (And 183 stories, although that splits out things like Bulletopia and The Generican Dream into separate parts.)

Oh so my estimate wasn't that bad - if I'd made it today! But since it was like 5-10 years ago I was way off the mark. I do think its useful - for me at least) to get a sense of scope of a series to break it down into American comic run. So Yeah around 100 issues isn't too far off.

norton canes

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 January, 2021, 01:01:22 AM

Fittingly, that looks like a fast-flowing river beneath a panorama of rugged mountain peaks.

sintec

These are awesome Funt - great work.

2381 pages of Sinister Dexter eh - about the same as Slaine. Which makes me think how nice a set of 13 Ultimate Collection style HCs would look on my shelves. Shame we didn't get a complete run in the UC. Wonder if Tharg could ever be persuaded to do this? Maybe we'll see it as part of the digital first line if not a phsical print run.

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 January, 2021, 01:01:22 AM
Okay, this one was fun:

I counted 365 episodes and 2346 pages (but I didn't count posters, teasers or covers).

Fantastic work. Experiencing some cognitive dissonance looking at that while reading Pat tweeting about how his later stuff is neglected by Rebellion in favour of the earlier IPC/Fleetway material  - from that graph every page of Sláine from 2001 up to the current run is collected in a luscious non-Hachette hardback (all of which are on my shelf).