Main Menu

Asylum of the daleks

Started by The Monarch, 01 September, 2012, 08:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dudley on 06 September, 2012, 11:05:07 AMThe thing with this episode was that the Daleks were lying through their teeth (mouth tentacles?) in the early exposition
It's odd that no-one got that. People are going on about plot holes, but really the Daleks couldn't do this themselves, hoodwinked the Doctor into doing so, and clearly planned to blow him up on the planet as a grand finale. The one odd moment for me was the Daleks not immediately exterminating The Doctor at the end, even though they didn't know who he was by that point. (It's not like they're usually terribly picky when it comes to shooting things.)

Dudley

You could probably make something up about him being protected by the TARDIS's force field, but, let's face it, having the conversation over a tannoy would be quite annoying.  Shot of TARDIS speakers, sound of Doctor's voice - shot of Dalek, sound of Dalek voice - etc.

Colin YNWA

And with a new series comes a new set of episode sketches by the wonderful Francesco Francavilla.

http://francesco-francavilla.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/doctor-who-asylum-of-daleks-ep701.html

Keef Monkey

So wait, is that new companion? I wasn't sure about here initially but she won me over big time as it went on. I have to admit it was largely the outfit though (and I'm not even sure why).

Mardroid

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 September, 2012, 06:24:52 PM
So wait, is that new companion? I wasn't sure about here initially but she won me over big time as it went on. I have to admit it was largely the outfit though (and I'm not even sure why).

I don't wish to seem shallow, but the two words "well" and "endowed" spring to mind. Yes, I know I shouldn't have been looking there* but that top was rather snug and... well. Some things just draw the eyes...

*Her best asset really was her character.  Honest.

O Lucky Stevie!

Finally caught up with this on the weekend.

Every model of Dalek ever & Jenna-Louise Coleman  in a bosomy big red jumpery dress whilst clambering around in a hammock?

There's your licencing fee's worth right there.

Unspeakably fantastic stuff.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: JamesC on 01 September, 2012, 08:23:23 PM
2. The character of Oswyn was rather overwritten and quite irritating and completely un-Daleky.

FTFY  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mudcrab

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 10 September, 2012, 03:27:36 AM
Finally caught up with this on the weekend.

Every model of Dalek ever & Jenna-Louise Coleman  in a bosomy big red jumpery dress whilst clambering around in a hammock?

There's your licencing fee's worth right there.

Unspeakably fantastic stuff.

Yes, that description right there  :)

On the subject of her, IMDB has her down as Oswin in this episode, Clara in the Xmas episode (that long? Really?) then Clara Oswin from then on.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Cthulouis

So, I've been drinking and as such this might not make much sense, and might not follow on from this thread at all, but:

The Cybermen are shit, because in the 60s it might have been scary that disable people were using technology to improve their lives, but today this is called equality. Sure, Dr Who has always been about a middle class white man being right, but technology being a threat is so regressive that the cybermen become really laughable, or better yet, the laudable good guys.

In my drunken opinion, that is all.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Cthulouis on 12 September, 2012, 10:55:00 PM
So, I've been drinking and as such this might not make much sense, and might not follow on from this thread at all, but:

The Cybermen are shit, because in the 60s it might have been scary that disable people were using technology to improve their lives, but today this is called equality. Sure, Dr Who has always been about a middle class white man being right, but technology being a threat is so regressive that the cybermen become really laughable, or better yet, the laudable good guys.

In my drunken opinion, that is all.

Ok, you were drunk, so I'll forgive you, but where did you get the idea Cybermen were disabled people in the first place?  I thought it was an upgrade from a default humanoid model, not a crippled or infirm one?

My understanding has always been that they thought technology was such an improvement upon the original basic humanoid model that therefore everyone should be converted.  Those that resisted conversion should be eliminated.  That's what's scary about them - their assumption that they are the superior being, and everyone should be forced to be like them.

Charlie boy

I'm going to say give the cybermen a chance!
Some time has gone by since it was last suggested in this thread and in that same time, I remembered the ruined Cyberman in the first part of the Big Bang finale. The ruined cyberman which still proved to be quite a threat. A couple of "in-working-order" cybermen working to this standard could be a lot of fun.

Dandontdare

and the biggest point - as well as upgrading them physically, all human emotion or compassion were deleted, in the same way as the Daleks.

M.I.K.

The Cybermen aren't disabled. They're mind-altered weirdos who're into body modification.

Dandontdare

Quote from: M.I.K. on 13 September, 2012, 03:14:38 PM
The Cybermen aren't disabled. They're mind-altered weirdos who're into body modification.

hmmm. In that case, I think I may know a few cybermen ...