Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I think any publisher would be wary of releasing anything which didn't have clean reprographics if they could avoid it.  How ever much it was indicated that it was a rough draft or 'feeler' for interest, somebody would take it as indicative of the general level of quality.

CalHab

A lot of the Treasury stuff has not aged well. I don't mind it now and then, but I'd be disappointed if that became the main source of material for the floppy.

Daveycandlish

To be honest, I enjoyed the Treasury floppy more than Vigilant this month.
I'd happily see more from the archives like this.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

hellscrape

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I recently did a biggish purchase on the website, with the main focus on floppies!
I already have the Milligan Faces and Nemesis Monograph from ages ago, but decided to pick up the following (for better or worse!):
278 - Canon Fodder 1 (for the low of Weston and weird Catholic superheroes)
281 - Pussyfoot 5 (John Smith!)
291 - Canon Fodder 2 (more Weston Catholic weirdness, apparently much better written this time)
295, 305, 306 - Strontium Dogs (not sure why, they were cheap?)
301 - McMahon
310-311 - Shamana (I have a soft spot for Mills; I recently picked up the Complete Accident Man and Finn TPBs as well)
319 - Durham Red (a full Ezquerra tale! SIGN ME UP!)
411, 412, 413 - Defoe stories (cheaper than paying nearly $50 for the Ultimate Collection on Ebay).

Anybody have any floppies they consider to be minor treasures or hidden gems? A lot of the older Megs are super affordable and this seems like a fun way to get some stories that are likely never to be collected formally. I'm still holding out for a Shaky Kane/Soul Gun Warrior collection!

WhizzBang

I really enjoyed them too, being a returning reader who missed much of the stuff re-printed in these. Some of the ones I enjoyed most are:

Black Siddha - Bad Karma
Black Siddha - Kali Yuga
Black Siddha - Return Of The Jester
Zero - 1 - Night Zero
Zero - 2 - Beyond Zero
Mercy Heights (Books 1 - 4)
American Gothic
Download Tales (1 - 3) + I think there were some Sinister Dexter ones

There was a thread a while ago where a few posters were quite mean about Mercy Heights but I really enjoyed it.

Another good one that I struggle to remember the name of was all about demons trying to outmaneuver each other in the realms of the afterlife/hell/whatever and they were constantly backstabbing each other.

I am sure there are loads of other good ones too.

Funt Solo

Quote from: WhizzBang on 21 June, 2023, 06:26:07 PMAnother good one that I struggle to remember the name of was all about demons trying to outmaneuver each other in the realms of the afterlife/hell/whatever and they were constantly backstabbing each other.

Necrophim?

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WhizzBang

The Monarch

canon fodder is good dumb fun. probably the best thing miller ever wrote for 2000ad and i am aware thats a low bar. The sequal is genuinly good though and i do not need to say that chris westons art is just fantastic