Main Menu

prog 2179 self isolate with the galaxys greatest comic

Started by The Monarch, 27 April, 2020, 01:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

PJ was the first droid I ever got a sketch from, and has always been a fave.

AlexF

He fully ticks the box of the great Dredd artists by filling up his panels with loads of details, be it architecture or lunatic citizenry.

Theblazeuk

Dredd I like Noam Chimpsky though I agree we've had quite a bit of talking apes recently. Oddly the uplifts in Lawless don't seem to fall in that mental space to me... but in any case, I think I can go one more if it's as appealing as Noam Chimpsky. Congratulations on the biggest nightmare of all though with the introduction of Katy Hopkins College

Survival Geeks remains utterly fan service fun.

Skip TracerI can't really get a grip on this one. Space bounty hunter on a hab-station? Political/military intrigue? Psychic dreamscape battles? Just so much going on and backstory, all of it a bit...shrug. Shame as I think the concept implied by the title could go somewhere but it's the least developed part of the strip.

Aquila I love Aquila. Likewise a bit puzzled by the acid bath but a wizard clearly did it. Play in a semi-regular RPG of post-roman Saxon/Celt monster hunting and Aquila has been a good source of inspiration for this.

Hershey I like finality, even if it's cheekily undermined by having clones and legacy and so on. So Hershey was a bit of a hard sell for me. I liked the end of the line, basically. But I enjoy the strip and love the art and happy to see more of another city, even if I think it would just as fine with any Judge.

(Long time no see guys! Just got busy in other digital spaces thanks to lots of TTRPGs)

DrJomster

We're blessed with talented droids, we really are.

Monkey vigilantes gorgeously drawn, some very 80s geek references for anyone alive then (yes, I'm looking at most of you lot!), dead heads that can see sewn onto shoulders, plus exploding people, I mean, what more could you wish for?  :thumbsup:
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

norton canes

Belated musings...

• Not sure about all these lockdown star-scans. At the moment the prog is a welcome escape from this stuff.
  • Chimpsky's Law sailing along on a plethora of ideas. If the Mega City One series ever gets off the ground, this is how it should be.
  • SG a bit rushed but still great
  • Skip Tracer - how would you describe Dylan Teague's colour palette? Was going to go for 'pastel' but it's more a case of pastelly colours used for a really oversaturated effect. Anyway it's gorgeous.
  • Aquila - as with SG the Rennie droid seems keen to pack in maximum thrills over a short page count, which is no bad thing, but does happen at the cost of a little coherence. Also, rule one of drawing a character with a another head transplanted onto their shoulder - do make sure you don't end up having to give the chracter a bizarrely extended shoulder.
  • Hershey - Sick thrills. I remember a few weeks ago bemoaning that the strip titles these days are generally just stuck into a bit of spare frame space, so they can easily be removed from the collected version. Well thank grud, 'Hershey' sticks a middle finger to that convention! Implement this across all strips please, Tharg!

TordelBack

Great point about titles. A quarantine-driven re-reado of the superb Hachette Brothers of the Blood volume shows the Fraser droid has previously in this area - an unmemovable chunky logo built into the cityscape was most welcome.

TordelBack

Sigh. 'PREVIOUS'. Is there an actual reason we can"t edit in this specific sub-forum? It's bloody tiresome on my recalcitrant phone.

Woolly

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 May, 2020, 11:54:44 AM
Great point about titles. A quarantine-driven re-reado of the superb Hachette Brothers of the Blood volume shows the Fraser droid has previously in this area - an unmemovable chunky logo built into the cityscape was most welcome.

Yup. Love a title incorporated into the artwork.
Seem to remember Jock doing something similar when he drew the classic Judge Dredd logo into a page.
Still don't understand why that logo isn't used any more.

Tiplodocus

Caught up with several weeks worth of Profs all at once (I am on holiday this week) and it's pretty much on fire at the moment.

I don't have a problem with the condensed story telling in Aquilla. There is always something that brings a sequence of panels together.  It works for me in a way that The Order sometimes doesn't.

Loving Survival Geeks. 

And agree about PJs style on Me on- suits it too a tee.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

73north

I read this last week ( the last Saturday delivery for a while ?? )
and it was pretty good -
Dredd - I also really liked the new story featuring Noam Chimpsky . Good solid fun
Survival Geeks - for me me its all right , but I won't miss it when its gone -
if it gets me more Jaegir , then its all good 

Skip Tracer - I also can't really get a grip on this one and although the artwork is fine
it just is so-so - I would place this in the same league as THE ORDER - a series that has seen its best days

Aquila - I am really enjoying this other Gordon Rennie serial - its sublime -
and did I mention the artist
is top rate ?

Hershey - not too bad  and as others state nice to see a new city

73north

he cover is magnificent. As with all Stuart Moore stuff it requires a bit of work to get the best out of it, but it's a terrific, dense and original image.

Dredd really very enjoyable, lovely Dredd and Chimp drawings and characterful characters. Classic in the making. (Be churlish to mention the couple of typos when editorial is somehow still putting out 200 excellent pages of comic a month in current circumstances).
read this on Monday ( due to the new ban on Saturday Royal Mail deliveries )
Front Cover is delightful
Survival Geeks - be glad when this serial is finally finished - more Jaegir please Mr Rennie

Hershey - won't include any spoilers - but its a tough one to read - interesting to see where it goes
next - otherwise good solid fun

Aquila - totally agree with other comments  = It is the best Story in the Prog
Thank Heavens for Mr Rennie - we need him in the Prog , as he is so on song
I love the artwork as well

On a different note - I got my Paperback
Book Judges - The Patriots today - looking forward to reading this

Note - I struggle at the moment to post regular reviews of the Prog -
due to working hard 12 hours Shifts for the NHS  in the Operating Theatre in Edinburgh -
also I see Pat Mill's new Comic SPACE WARP - is almost ready to release
the Video interviews with some of the Artists are on YouTube if you want to look at them
Pat Mills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqVt75kxcwk
and the interview with Bruno Stahl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adfmkm5ntRA

kind regards to the Forum