Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Thirded, fourthed and fifthed - I've only got the third volume to read now and have been watching it slowly rise up the tower.

Superb reading.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 December, 2019, 01:17:54 PM
Can defo see the third series but for the life of me can't find hardbacks???

Could be I've mis-remembered, my copies of this and boxed and underbed, so could well just be wishful thinking, sorry! :-[
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

White Knight, Trees and Soviet Punisher along with the Megazine and the festive Prog meant I had a great evening of comicy goodness, last night.
Artwork on the first three is excellent, as are the stories.
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 December, 2019, 04:44:01 PM
White Knight, Trees and Soviet Punisher along with the Megazine and the festive Prog meant I had a great evening of comicy goodness, last night.

Trees - is that the Warren Ellis series? If so I bought the first book, but so little of interest happened beyond establishing the premise, I decided I would not be investing in a multi-volume slowburner. Normally I'll buy anything with his name on, but this was disappointing.

Soviet Punisher sounds good though, must take a look at that.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 December, 2019, 05:48:18 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 December, 2019, 04:44:01 PM

Trees - is that the Warren Ellis series? If so I bought the first book, but so little of interest happened beyond establishing the premise, I decided I would not be investing in a multi-volume slowburner. Normally I'll buy anything with his name on, but this was disappointing.

Soviet Punisher sounds good though, must take a look at that.

Yes it is, and it is a slow burner, nothing much resolved re- the Trees, more its a world changer with stories set in that sand box, current one is a who-done it set in a small village in Russia, touches of Fargo and those netflix snowbound town murdery things...
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 09 November, 2019, 11:23:02 PMIn the last 2 days I have read...
USAGI YOJIMBO (2019) 1-5
How is that? I will admit to being more than a little disappointed that the strip will now be in colour. And I hope more than anything that IDW don't fuck things up. (Dark Horse was a pretty stable home, although the manner in which it dealt with hardcovers was abysmal, as ever.)

The Adventurer

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 December, 2019, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 09 November, 2019, 11:23:02 PMIn the last 2 days I have read...
USAGI YOJIMBO (2019) 1-5
How is that? I will admit to being more than a little disappointed that the strip will now be in colour. And I hope more than anything that IDW don't fuck things up. (Dark Horse was a pretty stable home, although the manner in which it dealt with hardcovers was abysmal, as ever.)

I also am disappointed that it has gone color (some comics just feel more natural in black and white). But, the coloring is pretty good (for IDW, I have long criticized some of their house coloring choices on other titles). But and ultimately it's Stan Sakai making Usagi Yojimbo. So it's still one of the best comics on the planet.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

GordyM

Coffin Bound is a really inventive spin on the trope of "dark supernatural horrors that exist in the shadows of society."
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

JamesC

I got the three trades of Brink for Xmas and have just finished reading them.
I really enjoyed this in the prog but reading it all together over a couple of days has made me realise it's even better than I thought. Absolutely fantastic and it's made my Xmas.
Anyone know when book 4 is being released?

Apestrife

I've just finished reading Sons of El Topo: Cain & Abel on comixology. While not the experience that is El Topo I enjoyed it. I found it a bit slow towards the end and it ends a bit abrupt, but it's easy to recommend to someone who likes the film. For someone who hasn't seen it, I think I'd still recommend giving it a chance.

It does a good job establishing the tie to the story in the movie and then moves on from there. Tonally it reminded me of Son of the gun, with bits of Moonface thrown in. In true Jodo fashion the story is filled with dreamlike weirdness, rape, bloody murder and other cruel acts. But also some very moving moments. It all comes alive thanks to the fantastic art of Ladrönn.

Loving the original movie and followed the developments of the sequel for years, I'm happy to finally having gotten hold of the story. I still hope to get to see the film someday :)

Tjm86

On a bit of a Fury kick at the moment.  Picked up the Shield omnibus reprinting the Strange Tales / Steranko stuff as well as the post NF vs Shield reprints.  A fascinating slice of Marvel history to be sure.

It's such a shame that Steranko wasn't on the title longer.  His issues stand out a mile in terms of quality.  I think even today, having so many more years of creativity in terms of layout and design, there is still something fresh about it.  Maybe it is just where I've not seen it before.

As for the ongoing series from the late 80's early 90's, I'm actually surprised at well that has aged.  Certainly the early parts.  When you consider how juvenile some of Marvel's output of the time could be ....

What I have found mildly bemusing is how little used both Fury and Shield have been over the years.  When you consider that the first series was in the 60's and it wasn't until the late 80's that he got the mini series between it was mainly guest spots.

dweezil2

Punisher: Soviet #3 was every bit as good as the previous two and we're getting to the meat of the story now, figuratively and literally.

Frank Castle really seems to bring out the best in our ex-droid Garth Ennis and his continued strong writing and the fantastic art makes this an essential read.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 January, 2020, 06:56:35 PM
On a bit of a Fury kick at the moment. 

Fury: Max is also worth a read if you haven't already - a darker, grittier version by Garth Ennis

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 January, 2020, 07:42:30 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 January, 2020, 06:56:35 PM
On a bit of a Fury kick at the moment. 

Fury: Max is also worth a read if you haven't already - a darker, grittier version by Garth Ennis

Yeah Fury Max is brilliant.

Tjm86

Hmmm, thanks for that.  I'll have a dig.  Quite enjoyed Grant / Kennedy's episode in the reboot.  Little bit hackneyed with the old Scottish Highland Shaman riff but with Kennedy on art duty you have to love it!