Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Indeed. I just grabbed one. Fingers crossed!

(I may have accidentally also ordered the Kev Apex Edition as well, which was on sale. Oops.)

Le Fink

Thanks, me too. That postage though, phew.

IndigoPrime

Yeah. It's gone up some. Still, FP's packaging is typically excellent and so at least your book will be in good nick when it arrives.

JohnW

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 April, 2024, 11:44:06 AMArmoured Gideon
(It's great)
Not wrong, Boots old man.
I've torn off the cellophane and got stuck in.
I'd forgotten how this story really found its mojo after the first series. Both script and art sing once things get coloured.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Le Fink

Quote from: JohnW on 11 April, 2024, 07:57:09 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 April, 2024, 11:44:06 AMArmoured Gideon
(It's great)
Not wrong, Boots old man.
I've torn off the cellophane and got stuck in.

I've succumbed after the rave reviews and ordered this, despite having little recollection of it from reading it at the time. My copy arrived today, it's quite a tome, especially compared to the Harry 20 volume which arrived in the same delivery. I've read the first B&W story. It's terrific, reads really well, and the art is quite something. I'm not sure why it didn't stick with me first time around. Maybe reading it collected suits it better.

Quote from: JohnW on 11 April, 2024, 07:57:09 PMI'd forgotten how this story really found its mojo after the first series. Both script and art sing once things get coloured.

I'm yet to read the colour stories but I feel I have to stand up for the first story! The B&W splash pages featuring Gideon are very striking. The sheer amount of precision cross-hatching is a wonder to behold. Story's all good too! Looking forward to the next ones.

The Monarch

the collector story in armoured gideon is the kind of silly nonsense i love so much. Bill savage fights shako. angel is shite. possibly the only appearance of doomlord we'll ever get cause the DDC are cunts. ant wars!

Tomwe

Today's Hachette package came in a Royal Mail bag. It has opened again. They have clearly cut back on postage budgets again.

moly

I received mine in a cardboard box so more likely Royal Mail trashed the box

Blue Cactus

I meant to buy the Armoured Gideon book but didn't get round to it, regretting that that a bit now! Need to keep a lookout for a copy that isn't hugely overpriced.

Blue Cactus

Oh never mind, it's still on the Hachette site to buy!

Le Fink

Yep I ordered it off their website and it arrived promptly, in a cardboard box

castle4

Wonder when we will shown the art work for the relatively short 'final extension'?

castle4

Contents of Issue 173 Scarlet Traces vol 2

Prog 1988-1999,2023-2034,2126-2138,2250-2261.

Barrington Boots

The B&W Gideon story is probably my favourite one, although I'm very keen on the one shot with the wizard as well. The plot is very unfocused but Gideon himself is a bit neater - firing stakes at vampires and so on - and the art is fantastic. As Fink says, there's a few big splash pages of Gideon that look tremendous.
The AG design is so good, with his massive crazy feet and oddly expressive face.

Re-reading now I find the dialogue clunky in places but the whole book is completely stupid fun. Well worth the wait.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Born Bad has shipped! As has the tiny little extra I bought alongside it. (Kev's big book o' joy.) I imagine that will beat the Hachette replacement volumes. And I hope FPI's packaging is typically bulletproof, as usual, so that doesn't arrive empty! :D

Gideon is an interesting one. I did read a – cough – 'version' of it on my iPad at some point*, and I'd wondered if my desperation to get it in the UC was misplaced. So I'm stoked to find so many are enjoying it and am looking forward to getting a copy myself. I imagine I was just in a grump at the time.

* I mean, I own the original Progs and a reprint of the story already, and have ordered a third volume, so I'm not going to feel too guilty about that...