Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Dawn of the Rise of the Valley of the Planet of the Apes... Not as good as the preceding Shadow of the Forest of the Twilight of the Planet of the Apes but that's not a crippling deficiency, given just how good Rise was.

My only criticisms would really be that it's 20 minutes too long (one of the many strengths of Rise, IMO, was how muscular it felt at 1hr 45) and a nagging feeling that the entire plot is essentially lifted from a Western I watched on the telly one Saturday afternoon when I was twelve (possibly Comanche?) — for all that, it's great. Strong, affecting, suffused with a sense of tragic inevitability and yet still full of action and spectacle, and a lot of utterly flawless CGI. Absolutely worth a couple of hours of your time.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 September, 2014, 09:05:06 AM
Dawn of the Rise of the Valley of the Planet of the Apes... Not as good as the preceding Shadow of the Forest of the Twilight of the Planet of the Apes but that's not a crippling deficiency, given just how good Rise was.

My only criticisms would really be that it's 20 minutes too long (one of the many strengths of Rise, IMO, was how muscular it felt at 1hr 45) and a nagging feeling that the entire plot is essentially lifted from a Western I watched on the telly one Saturday afternoon when I was twelve (possibly Comanche?) — for all that, it's great. Strong, affecting, suffused with a sense of tragic inevitability and yet still full of action and spectacle, and a lot of utterly flawless CGI. Absolutely worth a couple of hours of your time.

Cheers

Jim

It's a testament either to the films atmosphere or my stupidity that it had never occurred to me how western like the plot actually is.

Tiplodocus

And I'm with you on the "flawless" CGI.  Great special effects are common place today but these were unbelievably good. Does the fact the performances are mo-captured and give the animation a bit more character help?

I wanted to see UNDER THE SKIN rather than LUCY but a) couldn't find it and b) one review said it was quite gross and gory. Apart from the obvious exception of me, Mrs Tips doesn't do "gross".

In other news, I accidentally watched STAR WARS last night. I put it on just to see how the DVD upscaled to 3D on the new telly and ended up rapt and watching the whole thing for the first time in ages.  Fun to see Mrs Tips (who doesn't know it backwards) laughing along at the funny bits and asserting "Those prequeles just didn't have the same sense of humour or any cool characters like Han and Luke*".

Apart from the spaceships, the special edition CGI inserts all look shite now.

* And she didn't spoil it by referring to him as "Hans" like she normally does.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

ThryllSeekyr

Went for a walk this morning....and ended up in downtown Ipswich.

Yet it was so early, I ended sitting in a park after crossing the river to look around the River-Links-Centre in North-Ipswich until it was just about time for their brand new Lime-Light theatre to open.

Disappointed that there were no cute girls (Or cute boys that resemble girls, but hey it's hard to tell unless their naked!) my own age that were waiting in line. When I got to the counter...I asked Which of the two films Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Guardians of the Galaxy were on first! and was told the first film was on in the next ten minutes.

So, it cost just fifteen dollars after showing them my concession card and recalling my previous mix up where I thought the latest X-Men was Godzilla and ended up seeing both. (Mentioned Earlier!)

So, I saw the one about the Turtle first and found it rather unsurprisingly fulfilling. It ticked all the right boxes and they do look much better in CGI.

Yet, I did not like that introduced a new villain and reconned it that

SPOILER ALERT
[/color]

[spoiler]Splinter and the four Turtles were originally her pets and she even gave them their Italian Renaissance inspired names before she lost them in the same accident that mutated them all![/spoiler]

Despite that obvious toughness of the oriental man and known to us as the Shredder, the new armour made him like a lame assed silvered plated Darth Vader. (I prefer the old costume!)

SPOILER ALERT
[/color]

[spoiler]Although, he makes good impression on the bitumen towards the end.
[/spoiler]

Splinter and Turtle-Ninja's fighting choreography was just great. Even if the rat made  huge mistake in facing several opponents in full view of them.

I would have seen the other film but it started half a hour ago and I didn't want to stay in town that long. Like, I've been home since just after one now, and it took me rough three quarters of hour to walk.

ThryllSeekyr

Tried to add this just now, but was to late....

I don't think they are really of African-American persausion as they seem. Although, I think Mikey definitely is. Yet, Donatallo is white n nerdy.

Seeing them standing together in a elevator. I noticed they were all different heights. Mikey is the shortest. Raphael standing behind him is definitely the tallest. The other two come somewhere in between. Although, I could be wrong and they were using some freaky ninja skill to make it just appear that way. So, they are not identical Quaddies.

April O'Neal is very hot, but with the wrong hair. Not that it's the only thing I care about. As I see all and noticed she has great legs.

Grugz

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 06 September, 2014, 05:28:15 AM

(Or cute boys that resemble girls, but hey it's hard to tell unless their naked!)

I miss the days when you just rambled on about slaine ,this new creepy sex maniac mayor isn't appealing

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Hawkmumbler

'Closes laptop, goes to rinse eyes with listerine'

Mayor, please, just stop.

Hawkmumbler

And on that note...

Frankenhooker (Frank Henenlotter, 1990)

Their are two kinds of 2000AD movie. The Future Shock type and the Bonjo from Beyond the Stars type. This is one of the latter. As Henenlotters fourth film it shows a refinement of what we saw in Basket Case (and it's sequel) and Brain Damage* in that it's light in gore but heavy on the high camp and immature giggles. Lots of bottoms in faces, lots of boobies, lots of exploding people in sparks and electrical shocks (plus a poor Guinea pig!). It's certainly is not a film to take seriously, especially when our protagonist drills into his own skull to relax himself.

Acting is appalling but in that shameless, Grindhouse kind of way. High light has to be steroid endowed Freddy Mercury as the pimp and big bad of the film. I believe the guy was a pro wrestler, but acted considerably more poorly than Drax The Destroyer.

A fun film if your looking for 1AM entertainment with a friend after a night on the piss.

*Which incidentally take place in the same universe due to the Basket Case twins making cameos in all Henenlotters films.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Killer Hawk Queen on 07 September, 2014, 07:33:32 PM
Frankenhooker (Frank Henenlotter, 1990)[/b]

Hah. Back in the mid-nineties when I first owned a house and had a lodger to help make the mortgage payments, Friday nights used to be a slightly beered up trip down the the local independent video store (remember those?) which had two long walls where the videos were kept, and the counter at the back. On the left was the wall of new(ish) releases at (IIRC) three quid a pop and on the right was the WALL OF SHIT (to be pronounced in portentous tones, preferably with lots of extra bass and reverb) which were 50p-£1 and didn't need to be returned for three days.

Many a drunken weekend was happily wiled away courtesy of the WALL OF SHIT, and Frankenhooker is one of the few films it offered up that whose name I can even remember...! ISTR it opens with a catastrophic gardening accident and later on features cocaine that makes hookers explode.

Damn. Now I have to track it down and watch it again...!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Quote from: Grugz on 06 September, 2014, 05:01:24 PM

(Or cute boys that resemble girls, but hey it's hard to tell unless their naked!)

I miss the days when you just rambled on about slaine ,this new creepy sex maniac mayor isn't appealing

Could try out for Toronto...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 September, 2014, 08:18:22 PM
Quote from: Killer Hawk Queen on 07 September, 2014, 07:33:32 PM
Frankenhooker (Frank Henenlotter, 1990)[/b]

Many a drunken weekend was happily wiled away courtesy of the WALL OF SHIT, and Frankenhooker is one of the few films it offered up that whose name I can even remember...! ISTR it opens with a catastrophic gardening accident and later on features cocaine that makes hookers explode.

Damn. Now I have to track it down and watch it again...!

Cheers

Jim
Available for a fiver on Amazon (BD) courtesy of Arrow Video. They also uploaded it on Netflix.

Be prepared to see more familiar names from the Wall of Shit as I dive into the Dressed to Kill tonight and The Beast tonight.

I also the The Puppet Master trilogy lined up for next week as well. Lots of yummy trash.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Grugz on 06 September, 2014, 05:01:24 PM

Not sex-maniac, but sex-deprived and only referring the type of sex you don't have to put up with in prison.

Forgot to mention if anybody understands the Gay-Hanky-Code may see the Ninja-Turtles in a new light with their colourful bandanas.

About films on cable-television....stuff that been on telly for the last month.

There have been frequent reruns of Pacific Rimming, and most of it will be noticed by myself as I watch it.

One quote that stood out the most was when the dark fellow with the mo said while ranting on -words to the effect-

We're cancelling the apocalypse!

Almost brought tears of woe to my eyes.

Because I really do have this thing about apocalypses.

I think we really need to have them.

Right now, I'm watching another rerun of Thor - Two - DarkWorld.

Do you all recall what I said about this last time?

I still think the same things about this one was well.

NapalmKev

Hellraiser: Deader!

Crap title, Crap film. I really should have known better, but I was bored!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richmond Clements

Quote from: NapalmKev on 08 September, 2014, 09:32:36 AM
Hellraiser: Deader!

Crap title, Crap film. I really should have known better, but I was bored!

Cheers

I have recently watched all the Hellraiser movies - never has the law of diminishing returns been writ so large.