Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 June, 2023, 07:23:18 PMWhich was the one that used to have a "disguise" on the back cover? I remember enjoying that so much that it became the first comic I ever collected. My Mum made me sell them to some swine at Southport Market who gave me virtually nowt for them, to teach me the value of money, I think. It seems to have induced the opposite effect.

Ah Krazy comic - I gave up The Beano so that I could start getting Krazy

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnWare on 11 June, 2023, 06:59:01 PMYou're reopening old wounds and dragging back into the open things better left undisturbed.
The forum can stand only so much controversy.

Well feck me.  Seems I have little to be thinking about these days. 
Anyway I've been reading Oink! online; one of the rare 80s funny comics for kids that was actually funny.  Lots of death, blood, piss, shite and bums - that's what kids really wanted, unless that was just me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 June, 2023, 02:42:40 PM
Quote from: JohnWare on 11 June, 2023, 06:59:01 PMYou're reopening old wounds and dragging back into the open things better left undisturbed.
The forum can stand only so much controversy.

Well feck me.  Seems I have little to be thinking about these days. 
Anyway I've been reading Oink! online; one of the rare 80s funny comics for kids that was actually funny.  Lots of death, blood, piss, shite and bums - that's what kids really wanted, unless that was just me.

Much of which was written by Charlie Brooker in one of his first jobs

Le Fink

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 June, 2023, 09:26:08 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 June, 2023, 02:42:40 PMAnyway I've been reading Oink! online; one of the rare 80s funny comics for kids that was actually funny.  Lots of death, blood, piss, shite and bums - that's what kids really wanted, unless that was just me.

Much of which was written by Charlie Brooker in one of his first jobs
No kidding... I remember reading his video game reviews in PC Zone. And his TV reviews in the Guardian were a bit of a Saturday highlight. They also featured bums quite heavily.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 June, 2023, 09:26:08 PMMuch of which was written by Charlie Brooker in one of his first jobs

He definitely picked up a few of his old Oink plot-threads when he wrote Loch Henry  :o

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

I've had TWO naps today!
Beat that, lads!
And they say middle age is dull.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

I generally can't help napping after my tea. I never used to, but these days escaping the post-feed nap is harder than escaping the gravity well of a black hole.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

To quote my neighbour, I think there's a sniper with a stun gun behind the TV.   I know what he means - I must accept the fact that every future night in I have will always result in my waking up cramped and cold on the sofa at 3.40.

JayzusB.Christ

A Scottish man tells Richard Madely about the snobbery of people who make prejudiced assumptions about those with strong accents.  Madely responds by expressing his surprise about how articulate the man is despite the accent. Now over to Sidekick Simon.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1680852624529059841

paddykafka

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 July, 2023, 08:32:43 AMTo quote my neighbour, I think there's a sniper with a stun gun behind the TV.   I know what he means - I must accept the fact that every future night in I have will always result in my waking up cramped and cold on the sofa at 3.40.

The last time I fell asleep on the sofa - many years ago and at a different location - proved to be disastrous for the unfortunate couple living next door. I had been watching telly whilst imbibing alcohol and conked out around midnight, leaving the TV still blaring until I woke up the next morning. Later that morning, the lady-half of the couple next door called around to inform me that they had not got a wink of sleep due to the noise of the TV. (I guess that the insulating wall between the two houses wasn't that soundproof.)

Well naturally I was very, very sorry and the lady was quite gracious in accepting my profuse apology. Later that day, as a token of my good will, I bought them a nice bottle of wine. The man-half of the couple answered the door (the lady was away at work). He accepted both the wine and my repeated apology to him. I returned back to my own abode, feeling very pleased with myself at my good deed, and glad that there was going to be no rancor between myself and my neighbours.

However, what I did NOT know at the time - and only later found out at a much later date - was that the chap was a recovering alcoholic. It turned out that, as he was alone in the house, the bottle of vino which I had unwittingly given him, was just too much of a temptation. And once he had consumed said beverage, he promptly fell back into his bad old drinking habit. In the heel of the hunt, he fell off the wagon big-time. Which resulted in the lady splitting up with him and eventually kicking him out of the gaff for good.

Perhaps there is a moral to this story but I'm damned if I know what it is.

JohnW

Quote from: paddykafka on 17 July, 2023, 04:11:43 PMPerhaps there is a moral to this story but I'm damned if I know what it is.
Neighbours, am I right?
Like, you drop one little 4-cred Freezy Whip and they're all up in your face.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: paddykafka on 17 July, 2023, 04:11:43 PMPerhaps there is a moral to this story but I'm damned if I know what it is.

No good deed goes unpunished?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 July, 2023, 05:10:44 PM

No good deed goes unpunished?

Well, I did feel rather guilty for being the - albeit unwitting - cause of their break-up. So there's that, I suppose.

M.I.K.

Moral = If a problem is caused by alcohol, more alcohol is not the solution.

The Legendary Shark

When I was a sharklet, maybe eight or nine years old, I discovered a goat trapped in the ditch at the bottom of our back garden. I couldn't get it out, and it was a scary old, grumpy old thing with pointy horns and so, as I couldn't rescue it I decided to befriend it by feeding it leaves from the back of a neighbour's garden. It snaffled them up greedily for about an hour until I got bored and left it to find something more interesting to do, probably involving some much abused Action Men (Action Mans?) and an air rifle.

The next day, I overheard my Dad talking to the farmer, scruffy old Black Jack as he was known locally (due to his aversion to washing). "Just gettin' me goat," Black Jack said sadly. "Damn thing poisoned itself to t' death eatin' Joyce's evergreens."

Needless to say, I kept schtum and feel guilty about it to this day. Kindness, it seems, really can kill.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]