Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 30 August, 2023, 09:11:22 AM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 28 August, 2023, 11:43:32 PMI sometimes wonder how Nikolai Dante would've played out if his bio-blades were in his feet instead of his hands.

Bladerunner?

(Applause)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

It's just occurred to me that Rob Williams has the same name as Robbie Williams. I know whose writing I prefer though. 

(I mean, how can you beat lyrics like 'I look like Kiss without the make-up, and that's a good line to take it to the bridge'?)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Lyrics aside, I think Rob could take a few lessons from Robbie when it comes to tone.
I've just reread the whole Enceladus/Small House thing in the UC and everyone's so damned intense.
A little of Robbie Williams's cheeky cheery pop sensibility would go a long way to lighten the mood.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

He was great as the genie and I've always enjoyed Mrs Doubtfire...
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

I'm flubbergasted that it's taken the board this long to recognize that the athletic inspiration of Rob "Time Lord" Williams would lend itself well to the high octane, superhero stylings of Hershey. Or maybe a reboot of Harlem Heroes with some sport in it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

So - has any Scottish person ever said 'help ma boab', 'jings' or 'crivvens' in anything other than jest?  And what is their etymology?  With all this talk of The Bogie Man coming back, I've been reading up on Scottishisms, but can't find anything other than that these ones possibly came from The Broons; and that 'jings' is possibly a euphemism to avoid blaspheming.

Irish equivalents, I suppose, would be 'begorra', 'bejabbers' and 'be the hokey' - never heard them used seriously, though I suspect they may have been used with a straight face in the distant past to avoid eternal damnation*. Prefacing sentences with 'Sure and..', or closing them with 'to be sure': Close, but no shillelagh.  We just say 'sure' at the start without the 'and', though we do say it a lot where I'm from at least. 

*Though a look at James Joyce's characters' dialogue reveals that the Dubliners of the turn of the 20th century didn't hold back TOO much when it came to swearing and blaspheming, with f-words, c-words and Jesus Christs seemingly as common as they are nowadays.

JohnW

I usually stay away from Oirishisms, but have recently taken to saying 'Faith!' at odd moments.
I think everyone needs at least one irritating foible.
On the other hand – atheist or not – I can blaspheme as only a good Catholic can. I frown upon young people taking the Holy Name in vain, seeing as they've never been intimidated by scary men in black dresses or been forced to kneel their way through the Rosary (in Irish, even).

As for the Scots and their strange Scottish ways: I have eaten haggis and heard bagpipes, but never a jings, crivvens or helpmaboab caressed my ears on my one long-ago weekend in Edinburrow.
They just say 'fuck' a lot – much like normal people.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Dandontdare

Colin MacNeil genuinely says "Jings" when surprised, I've witnessed it.

Funt Solo

Crivvens! Ah dinnae believe it for wan meenit.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 September, 2023, 10:43:27 PMColin MacNeil genuinely says "Jings" when surprised, I've witnessed it.

Now you mention it, I've heard him say it too.

Link Prime

JohnW

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 September, 2023, 12:23:26 PMShure look

Yerrah lookit.

(Although I might start saying, "Och aye the noo" just to confuse American visitors. It can replace the "Gott in Himmel" I use now.)

JohnW

Yesterday I bought a whetstone.
I spent a soothing evening at my kitchen table, listening to eighties hits and sharpening knives.
The neighbours describe me as a quiet type.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I should really replace mine, it's all dhried out
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Then whet it, Mr. Pops, Mr.pops, Mr Pops,
Then whet it, Mr. Pops, Mr.pops, whet it...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]