Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Due to my aphantasia, this rarely happens to me. When it does, though, I don't actually hear the tune. Instead, I imagine what it would sound like if I could hear it, which I can't. This is both temporally and philosophically annoying.

The only known cure is Glenn Miller's In the Mood - which works roughly half the time. Then you're into Dark Web stuff like 99 Red Balloons or anything by The Wombles.

Good luck...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnW on 11 October, 2023, 07:59:47 PMI was listening to Tom Waits's earlier stuff before I went to bed last night, but what was playing on a loop in my head when I woke up this morning?
'Hold Me Now': Johnny Logan's 1987 Eurovision win.

You try and you try to be cool, but if you ain't got it, then you just ain't got it.

I hear you... I'm in Japan right now and I wish I could remember a single song by Shonen Knife, who I obviously didn't use to listen to as much as I thought I did.  I bet your neighbours the Sultans of Ping would hate me for it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Wait...is Johnny Logan not considered cool?
You may quote me on that.

paddykafka

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 12 October, 2023, 01:40:23 PMWait...is Johnny Logan not considered cool?

A mate of mine once did some time in prison. He told me that, whenever Johnny Logan's song "What's Another Year?" was played on the radio, the overwhelming sound around the prison was the clatter of radios being flung against the cell walls by irate prisoners.

So, definitely NOT cool among that particular cohort of listeners, lol.

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 October, 2023, 01:16:14 PM...your neighbours the Sultans of Ping...
I worked for some years in an office overlooking the park where the singer's brother is alleged to have met Karl Marx.
Mostly the wildlife consisted of office workers having a sandwich or a smoke, except on Wednesday afternoons, when it was schoolkids having tentative sexual and pharmaceutical adventures.
It was amusing or depressing, depending on your humour on the day.
We'd occasionally be treated to spectacles of heroic drunkenness, but what we really wanted were instances of heavy-handed policing. That was when the whole office would stop work and crowd at the windows to watch some healthy young Garda putting all his country-bred fourteen stone on the back of some unfortunate miscreant, spread-eagled on the pavement among his scattered drug paraphernalia.
Street theatre at its best. Our taxes at work.

(Bleeding-heart liberal I may be, but you can't be brought up on Judge Dredd and not get a tiny thrill from that class of thing.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

So Big Chucky Windsor has some new coins:

Does this spark any nostalgia in Irish Squaxx? Particularly the 50p

JayzusB.Christ

The cheeky bugger! I miss the old animal coins we had. The horse 20p and the bird 50p and all the rest. It was like collecting panini stickers for your zoo album.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

That's our fish, damn it!

Why can't you stick to your lions and unicorns and Britannia jabbing Johnny Foreigner with her trident, eh, Charlie?

First Cromwell and now this.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Dandontdare

BBC:
Large numbers on an entirely redesigned set of UK coins will help children to identify figures and learn to count, The Royal Mint has said....Rebecca Morgan, director at the Mint, told the BBC: "The large numbers will be very appealing to children who are learning to count and about the use of money.

"Also the animals and everything you see on these coins will appeal to children. They are great conversation starters."

Seems a bit ambitious. You'd have to explain what coins are first.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 October, 2023, 12:54:44 AMThe cheeky bugger! I miss the old animal coins we had. The horse 20p and the bird 50p and all the rest. It was like collecting panini stickers for your zoo album.

The bull 5p was my favourite, maybe tied with the 2p, which a school friend of mine got tattoo'd on his right tit for his 18th

Without the "2P"

JohnW

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 October, 2023, 10:55:37 PMRebecca Morgan, director at the Mint, told the BBC: "The large numbers will be very appealing to children who are learning to count and about the use of money."
This is supposed to help kids learn to count?
There are two bees (or are they flies?) on the one pound coin, three shamrocks and one of everything else on the two pound coin, three oak leaves on the five-penny piece, and one dodo on the twenty pence piece.
I'm confused already.

JohnW

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 13 October, 2023, 11:10:57 PMThe bull 5p was my favourite, maybe tied with the 2p, which a school friend of mine got tattoo'd on his right tit for his 18th.
Without the "2P"
Without the "2P"?
Wise choice – otherwise 'right tit' would have been particularly appropriate.

Quote from: JohnW on 13 October, 2023, 11:24:26 PM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 13 October, 2023, 11:10:57 PMThe bull 5p was my favourite, maybe tied with the 2p, which a school friend of mine got tattoo'd on his right tit for his 18th.
Without the "2P"
Without the "2P"?
Wise choice – otherwise 'right tit' would have been particularly appropriate.

No doubt about tit

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 13 October, 2023, 11:10:57 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 October, 2023, 12:54:44 AMThe cheeky bugger! I miss the old animal coins we had. The horse 20p and the bird 50p and all the rest. It was like collecting panini stickers for your zoo album.

The bull 5p was my favourite, maybe tied with the 2p, which a school friend of mine got tattoo'd on his right tit for his 18th

Without the "2P"

That was a nice one alright, from the Book of Kells, which is the only famous thing my town ever produced.  If you have a curly animal tattoo, you can thank my ancestors for the inspiration.  Even though, as celibate monks, they were definitely not my ancestors.

paddykafka

How cool would it be if one of us Squaxx was to have their name put on a spaceship to Mars?

I've put my name forward in any event. For anyone else here who is interested, the link to the site is below.

https://ilovetheuniverse.com/send-your-name-to-mars?utm_source=sendfox&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=send-your-name-to-mars-be-part-of-history