Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Furthermore, during this morning's deadly blizzards I accidentally introduced my knuckle to a blackthorn thorn at some considerable speed. I think it might have bruised the bone, if such a thing is possible, because it's aching like a glum poet. In fact, it's so sore that I'm forced to type this post with my penis.*

Thread re-jacked.

*No, I'm not. It's too cold...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 January, 2024, 06:17:19 PMMy parents are away, so I went back to their house last Friday to feed the cats for the weekend.  Then my mild dose of a cold suddenly became a very bad dose and they're still away and I'm still here.

They have Sky, and I'm really not used to watching whatever is on at the moment as opposed to whatever I want, even if there are about 70 channels compared to the 6 I grew up with.

But my Grud, Only Fools and Horses is amazing, isn't it? I watched the one with Grandad's funeral the other night and was just blown away by how Del Boy's wide-boy persona wavered and cracked in the face of tragedy. Hollywood's finest actors could learn from David Jason.

See, i haven't threadjacked too much.

I go over to stay with my old mum most weekends and have been reintroduced to Proper Telly. Before she goes to bed, it's usually murder of some sort. Midsommer Murders is actually pretty good - if you can suspend your disbelief about an area with about a hundred "big houses", thriving hubs of every tradition, hobby or activity known to middle-class England, and a murder rate to rival Colombia; the guest acting talent is top notch and it doesn't insult the intelligence. Brenda Blethyn as Vera is another good one.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 February, 2024, 10:09:50 AMWhat usually happens is:
1: I post a video or article.
2: You don't watch or read it.
3: You denounce it anyway.
4: You denounce me for posting it.
5: Rinse and repeat.

The problem occurs at Step #1, because you post videos of obviously questionable veracity, either because they're vested-interest propaganda (usually right-wing dogma) or straight-up conspiracy theory bullshit. That's why (2), (3) and (4) happen. You could break the cycle by avoiding (5).

(To be fair, the same thing would happen to me if I did it. Like - this is definite evidence of alien life. You *must* watch it!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Funt, for the purposes of this exercise, I am going to pretend that you posted that link in all good faith because you found it interesting. As far as I can see, I have three options for responding...

Option #1:
I'm not even going to click that because it's obviously rubbish and only a complete fool would post such blatant nonsense. What you really need to do is accept what I tell you because I'm smart and go with the flow and you're just dumb so why don't you simply shut up, already?

Option #2:
Thanks for posting that video. I find no need to delve into the person of the "Angry Astronaut" at this stage because it's his claims I'm assessing, not the man. Although I cannot find the latest paper he cites (without any links or references provided), I did find two original papers from 2022 (A Meteor of Apparent Interstellar Origin in the CNEOS Fireball Catalog) and 2023 (Discovery of Spherules of Likely Extrasolar  Composition in the Pacific Ocean Site of the CNEOS 2014-01-08 (IM1) Bolide) which suggest that an extrasolor object hit the Earth in 2014. This is amazing news, if it's true.

However, the AA's claim that this is "UFO wreckage" appears spurious. The second paper puts forward several options for the unusual composition of the spherules found on the ocean floor, including supernova remnants, a fragment of the highly differentiated crust of a planet with an iron core outside the solar system, or that this "unfamiliar abundance pattern may reflect an extraterrestrial technological origin." That's a long way from evidence for alien vehicles.

In contradiction to the AA's claim that the mainstream media isn't reporting on this, I also found several mentions of the subject in the msm (although not very many), including USA Today, which goes with the headline "Alien technology? Harvard professor finds fragments that could be of otherworldly origin". That's a clickbait headline, but not exactly a lie because alien technology is a possible explanation but by no means the only one. I for one would be overjoyed if actual alien wreckage had been found, but so far it has not.

Most of AA's video is filled with speculation based on this spurious claim of alien wreckage and so, while I am indebted to you for bringing IM1 to my attention, I cannot agree with AA's conclusions without further, more concrete data. But why do we need it? Isn't the possible presence of extrasolar material on the Earth amazing enough? The possibility of studying the composition of exoplanets and stars without having to travel billions of miles into space has extraordinary scientific potential in its own right.

So, thank you, Funt, for posting that. I think it's mainly bollocks but the kernel of truth the video presents is fascinating.

Option #3:
Not interested. Didn't watch. No comment.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

The parenthetical part of my post wasn't actually the relevant part.

(Now that I think on it, though - this could be a solution to your 5-step problem. Why not let me post the bullshit links, and you can deep-dive 'em?)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 11 February, 2024, 06:09:15 PMJeez, get a room guys

This *is* the room, Pops. It's a forum. Step up or step off.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Which part (of your) last post (was relevant) then? The bits (in parentheses) or (the other) bits? Is (everything) you (bracket) irrelevant? How (are) we to (tell)?  :lol:

Also, a speedy recovery to you and everyone who's suffering. I hope you all get better soon.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Hell, Pops - he couldn't afford me!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 11 February, 2024, 06:10:47 PM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 11 February, 2024, 06:09:15 PMJeez, get a room guys

This *is* the room, Pops. It's a forum. Step up or step off.

Grand, I'll just step off so.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 11 February, 2024, 03:48:38 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 February, 2024, 10:09:50 AMWhat usually happens is:
1: I post a video or article.
2: You don't watch or read it.
3: You denounce it anyway.
4: You denounce me for posting it.
5: Rinse and repeat.

The problem occurs at Step #1, because you post videos of obviously questionable veracity. That's why (2), (3) and (4) happen. You could break the cycle by avoiding (5).

Well, just to be super-clear, Shark, I've edited down my original response to what you see above. It explains the cause of the problem and a solution. In all good faith.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

The video you posted in your Step #1 had questionable veracity yet contained a core of truth and taught me something amazing that appears to be real. If I'd dismissed the video out of hand (and I suspect you may have chosen it for that very purpose) I wouldn't have learned anything due to wilful ignorance.

All the other bullshit from that video aside, do you not think it's at least interesting that extrasolar material may have been found on Earth?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

I refer you to my previous answer?

See, I've accidentally started a new cycle of The 5-step Shark Problem by posting a stupid video which you're now defending as if your life depended on it.

To answer your general question: no, I see no value whatsoever in watching bullshit videos from the Internet - whatever snake oil they're selling. No discoveries of alien life (unless it's presented as fiction), no secrets of Area 51 (although the Internet Historian has a great video about that), no climate denial or Covid denial, no flat earth, no Dem-pizza parties, no Truth of the Twin Towers poop, no Bill Gates be nanoprobing your dawg and none of the stuff about the Sky God Death Cult - none of it.

Just to be super-clear, my advice stands: you could break the cycle by avoiding (5).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

lincnash