Main Menu

Guys-sorry-more advice sought

Started by The Prodigal, 27 May, 2012, 08:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prodigal

Old newbie has been carving a path through all things 2000ad-Stronty Dog, Dredd, Bad Company, Flesh and Low life.

I have not been near Rogue Trooper-I am looking at Fort neuro and re-gene. Recommended? any other stuff I should be picking up?

Dark Jimbo

Nemesis the Warlock - you've only got to fork out for three collected editions to have the whole lot, and it's magic. The first volume in particular is pretty much as good as comics ever get (you may want to have (re)read the first ABC Warriors outing first, though.)
@jamesfeistdraws

James Stacey

I think if you can hold out the contents of both the RT trades will be in the upcoming Tales of Nu-Earth vol 3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rogue-Trooper-Tales-Nu-Earth-v/dp/1781080682/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338212571&sr=8-1

Dash Decent

Rogue Trooper's a favourite of mine, but it's not a universal opinion.

If you're going for either of those two GNs, pick "Fort Neuro", which is part of his original storyline.  "Regene" came later when the original story ended and Tharg wondered what he could do to keep the character in the prog.  It's not as satisfying and you miss out on a lot of great Cam Kennedy art (not to mention Brett Ewins and others).

Don't worry about having to fill in a stack of blanks from previous installments because the story is pretty easy to pick up.  I don't think it's giving anything away to say he's a rogue soldier hunting the traitor that sold out the Genetic Infantryman battalions, leading to their massacre.

A better option is to go for the two phonebook/case files style releases which are out already, collecting the original run which was previously released over four slimmer volumes (including "Fort Neuro").  the third volume James mentions will include the "Regene" storyline.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dark Jimbo

When I went through my own phase of playing catch-up and seeking out the classics, Rogue was the only one that left me underwhelmed. Dredd, Stront, Slaine, Nemesis, Bad Company, Halo Jones, they all lived up to their hype - Rogue not so much. Maybe you had to be there at the time. Artistically you really can't fault it, and it's always worth reading if Cam Kennedy or Colin Wilson are on art duties, and the story has occassional flashes of greatness, but on the whole it's all just a bit too lightweight. Rogue himself was never a character - just a cypher through which to explore the Nu-Earth setting, and it's hard to summon much enthusiasm for his quest as a result. I can certainly see why people enjoy/enjoyed it, but not to the extent that people still clamour for its return to the prog...
@jamesfeistdraws

The Prodigal

Thanks guys. All advice genuinely apprecaited.

It is tempting maybe to hold tight and pick up the new trade.

IndigoPrime

Hmm. No idea where my reply went, but I'd echo the above: if you're going to grab Rogue Trooper, buy the chunky volumes. I never really gelled with that, but there you go. Nemesis, as Dark Jimbo says, is great to start with, although you won't miss much if you stop after book one. If you like that, try the softback of Shakara (similarly bonkers), and also consider Button Man (esp. book one), Zombo, Kingdom, Leviathan and Nikolai Dante. Note that the last of those is tough to collect, though, due to some early volumes being out of print.

a chosen rider

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 May, 2012, 03:21:21 PM
When I went through my own phase of playing catch-up and seeking out the classics, Rogue was the only one that left me underwhelmed. Dredd, Stront, Slaine, Nemesis, Bad Company, Halo Jones, they all lived up to their hype - Rogue not so much. Maybe you had to be there at the time. Artistically you really can't fault it, and it's always worth reading if Cam Kennedy or Colin Wilson are on art duties, and the story has occassional flashes of greatness, but on the whole it's all just a bit too lightweight. Rogue himself was never a character - just a cypher through which to explore the Nu-Earth setting, and it's hard to summon much enthusiasm for his quest as a result. I can certainly see why people enjoy/enjoyed it, but not to the extent that people still clamour for its return to the prog...

I must admit I found Rogue Trooper and the original V.C.s the most heavy-going of all the classic 2000AD collections I've dipped into so far.  I can imagine they'd be more enjoyable read one instalment a week in the prog, but I found getting through a whole book of them a bit of a grind; just not enough plot progression or character work to keep me engaged over a long run of stories.  (Of course, I'm not that much of a fan of war stories in general, which undoubtedly doesn't help.)

I second the recs for Nikolai Dante, Leviathan, Nemesis and Kingdom.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

IndigoPrime

That's how I felt about those stories, too, and the same's true for me with stuff like Harry 20. By contrast, something like Bad Company kept me hooked, and longer stories that were either bonkers (Robo-Hunter, Meltdown Man) or had enough depth (early Nemesis, most Dredd and Strontium Dog) are rarely slog-like.

Another one I really must reread is XCTNCT, which I remember being fabulous. Probably a toughie to recommend, though, given that it's pricey and so slight.

Link Prime

Based on a personal favourite opinion, I'd recommend 'ABC Warriors: The Black Hole'.
Arguably (as in- there is no argument!) it's also the Warriors' finest hour.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 May, 2012, 10:28:39 PM
Based on a personal favourite opinion, I'd recommend 'ABC Warriors: The Black Hole'.
Arguably (as in- there is no argument!) it's also the Warriors' finest hour.

Definately - but you ideally need to have read the first two Nemesis phonebooks (and the first ABC book) for it to really make sense.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 May, 2012, 10:40:44 PM

Definately - but you ideally need to have read the first two Nemesis phonebooks (and the first ABC book) for it to really make sense.

True Dat

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 May, 2012, 09:44:01 PM
Another one I really must reread is XCTNCT, which I remember being fabulous. Probably a toughie to recommend, though, given that it's pricey and so slight.

I picked that up really cheaply in Forbidden Planet, in one of their boxes.

I didn't think the stories were all that great, although the ideas were interesting and the artwork is lovely.

The Prodigal

Love this place. For an old fart who has fallen into the world of 2000Ad after so long away its as good as it gets for sound insight and advice.

radiator

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 May, 2012, 03:35:15 PM
Hmm. No idea where my reply went, but I'd echo the above: if you're going to grab Rogue Trooper, buy the chunky volumes. I never really gelled with that, but there you go. Nemesis, as Dark Jimbo says, is great to start with, although you won't miss much if you stop after book one. If you like that, try the softback of Shakara (similarly bonkers), and also consider Button Man (esp. book one), Zombo, Kingdom, Leviathan and Nikolai Dante. Note that the last of those is tough to collect, though, due to some early volumes being out of print.

Yep, Rogue never really did anything for me either. It's just that little bit too silly. Bad Company will always be king of the future war-themed 2000ad strips for me.

The titles listed above is pretty much exactly what I'd recommend to a new or lapsed reader.