Main Menu

My Name is Death - what happened to Anderson?

Started by Cactus, 31 May, 2012, 12:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cactus

Thrilled by recent Dredd I just got my hands on My Name is Death, which I hadn't previously read. We last see Anderson in a coma, then she turns up in the Megazine fighting robot city blocks. What did I miss, and where was it?
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Link Prime

You know what Cactus, I've read every issue between these stories, and I haven't the foggiest.
Anderson has been genuinely forgettable for years.
'My name is Death' was probably the last time the peroxide headed harridan featured in a decent story.
Sorry dude.

Mr.Fastrope

Maybe we can see more Anderson after the movie  :-\

glassstanley

AFter 'My Name is Death', Anderson's strip continued in the Meg (214-241). Half-Life & WMD deal with the coma storyline, and see Alan Grant telling the history of the Dark Judges from a much grimmer perspective than Wagner's account. She then returns to street duty and solves a number of other cases before tackling the Big Robots.

I, Cosh

The aftermath of Anderson's last encounter with Death played out in the Half-Life saga, which ran for over two years in the Meg (214-241). Details here: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=Megazine&choice=anderson

Personally, I thought these stories built into a really excellent storyline which I burbled on about a bit here: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,33713.0.html

Maybe one day it will see the light of day again in Psi-Files 4.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mr.Fastrope on 31 May, 2012, 01:43:06 AM

You're kidding, right? She's got a semi-regular spot in the Megazine and an early-years story running in the prog every few months. How much more could there be?

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 May, 2012, 01:31:06 AM
You know what Cactus, I've read every issue between these stories, and I haven't the foggiest.
'My name is Death' was probably the last time the peroxide headed harridan featured in a decent story.

Au contraire - I'd say '...Death' set her up for some really interesting stories. Alan Grant's gone on record as not having previosuly known that Wagner was going to put her in a coma and was really annoyed at having to then write her out of it, but I'd say it forced him to do something unusual for the next few stories that really benefited the character. I think the 'Half life' arc was the last time the character seemed to matter in any meaningful way.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mr.Fastrope

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 May, 2012, 11:06:27 AM
Quote from: Mr.Fastrope on 31 May, 2012, 01:43:06 AM

You're kidding, right? She's got a semi-regular spot in the Megazine and an early-years story running in the prog every few months. How much more could there be?

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 May, 2012, 01:31:06 AM

Au contraire - I'd say '...Death' set her up for some really interesting stories. Alan Grant's gone on record as not having previosuly known that Wagner was going to put her in a coma and was really annoyed at having to then write her out of it, but I'd say it forced him to do something unusual for the next few stories that really benefited the character. I think the 'Half life' arc was the last time the character seemed to matter in any meaningful way.

Sorry dude, im a FNG. Still trying to catch up :P

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Cactus on 31 May, 2012, 12:56:55 AM
We last see Anderson in a coma, then she turns up in the Megazine fighting robot city blocks. What did I miss, and where was it?

This is all off the top of my head, but basically - [spoiler]Anderson believes she's a young girl living on Deadworld, pre-purges (I want to say Sandra?). She meets Sidney De'ath at her school and is suitably creeped out by the strange young man for reasons she can't put her finger on. Years go by and the reign of the Judges becomes increasingly brutal and oppressive. Sandra's now at college and heavily involved in a freedom fighting band of guirellas. A mission goes horribly wrong and she meets Sidney again, now a Judge, at the same time as he meets still-human Phobia and Nausea and a sorry sub-human acolyte and whipping boy they've infected with what's called a Half-Life virus. Anderson finally remembers who she really is, as well as Death and the Sisters, and forces herself out of the dream-world - but not out of the coma, and not alone...

Back in the real world, a team of Psi-judges are sent into her mind to see if they can jolt her awake (think Fantastic Voyage type-thing). They battle with various creepy Death-influenced imagery and find her mind's infected with the Half-life, who I think was some sort of pyshic-bomb type deal deliberately left in Anderson's mind by the Sisters. Various adventures see them defeat Half Life, find Anderson and wake up back in Psi-Division. Unbenownst to any of them one of the crew, the shifty Gistane, was infected with the Half-Life virus, and he reports to his creepy boss Fauster, (head of the rather brilliant Magic and Witchcraft sub-department) a merry chap who likes to spend his free time reading the future in animal entrails. The department's a bit of a joke even within Psi-Div, but Fauster's got bigger plans in mind...

The next few stories saw Fauster torturing and browbeating an increasingly skeletal and gibbering Gistane in an attempt to harness the power of the Half-Life virus. Fauster's soon locked Gistane away in a basement, gone completely power-mad and eventually causes the release of the virus, which causes a wave of mass murders and suicides across the city (completely ignored in Dredd, natch). Anderson's had her suspicions for a while and steps in to avert disaster before the whole of the city is infected, in the process exorcising her own doubts about whether she's fit for the duty after the whole Death/coma expierience. The virus is destroyed and Fauster locked up. Anderson takes a 'fitness for active duty assessment' but it's really only a matter of course - Psi-Div's premier operative is back on the streets.[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 May, 2012, 11:26:24 AM
Quote from: Cactus on 31 May, 2012, 12:56:55 AM
We last see Anderson in a coma, then she turns up in the Megazine fighting robot city blocks. What did I miss, and where was it?

This is all off the top of my head, but basically - [spoiler]Anderson believes she's a young girl living on Deadworld, pre-purges (I want to say Sandra?). She meets Sidney De'ath at her school and is suitably creeped out by the strange young man for reasons she can't put her finger on. Years go by and the reign of the Judges becomes increasingly brutal and oppressive. Sandra's now at college and heavily involved in a freedom fighting band of guirellas. A mission goes horribly wrong and she meets Sidney again, now a Judge, at the same time as he meets still-human Phobia and Nausea and a sorry sub-human acolyte and whipping boy they've infected with what's called a Half-Life virus. Anderson finally remembers who she really is, as well as Death and the Sisters, and forces herself out of the dream-world - but not out of the coma, and not alone...

Back in the real world, a team of Psi-judges are sent into her mind to see if they can jolt her awake (think Fantastic Voyage type-thing). They battle with various creepy Death-influenced imagery and find her mind's infected with the Half-life, who I think was some sort of pyshic-bomb type deal deliberately left in Anderson's mind by the Sisters. Various adventures see them defeat Half Life, find Anderson and wake up back in Psi-Division. Unbenownst to any of them one of the crew, the shifty Gistane, was infected with the Half-Life virus, and he reports to his creepy boss Fauster, (head of the rather brilliant Magic and Witchcraft sub-department) a merry chap who likes to spend his free time reading the future in animal entrails. The department's a bit of a joke even within Psi-Div, but Fauster's got bigger plans in mind...

The next few stories saw Fauster torturing and browbeating an increasingly skeletal and gibbering Gistane in an attempt to harness the power of the Half-Life virus. Fauster's soon locked Gistane away in a basement, gone completely power-mad and eventually causes the release of the virus, which causes a wave of mass murders and suicides across the city (completely ignored in Dredd, natch). Anderson's had her suspicions for a while and steps in to avert disaster before the whole of the city is infected, in the process exorcising her own doubts about whether she's fit for the duty after the whole Death/coma expierience. The virus is destroyed and Fauster locked up. Anderson takes a 'fitness for active duty assessment' but it's really only a matter of course - Psi-Div's premier operative is back on the streets.[/spoiler]

Cheers for the re-cap Dark Jimbo, I had genuinely- genuinely- forgotten all that nonsense.
After reading it I kinda wish I had contracted the Half-Life virus.  :)

Proudhuff

I'd forgotten that lot too, thanks for the recap
DDT did a job on me

Cactus

Quote from: glassstanley on 31 May, 2012, 10:51:07 AM
AFter 'My Name is Death', Anderson's strip continued in the Meg (214-241). Half-Life & WMD deal with the coma storyline, and see Alan Grant telling the history of the Dark Judges from a much grimmer perspective than Wagner's account. She then returns to street duty and solves a number of other cases before tackling the Big Robots.

Thank you glassstanley. That coincides almost exactly with the three year gap in my Megazine collection so you've also helped me prioritise my back-issue buying.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 May, 2012, 12:32:23 PM
I'd forgotten that lot too, thanks for the recap

I'm glad somebody found it useful. I'm avoiding the spoilers but I felt bad that Dark Jimbo's effort would be wasted!

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 May, 2012, 01:31:06 AMAnderson has been genuinely forgettable for years.

Something that's borne out by a few posts in this very thread.  ;) It's a pity because Cass and Joe make a great double act. I feel the inconsequential solo yarns are a waste of potential.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!