Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

For every 10 minutes I ignore my children to get some actual work done, I seem to have to spend 20 minutes to repair the resulting damage.

This, and my daughter is presently watching Jedward explain Romano-British archaeology while I doss online.  My whole domestic situation is a clusterfeck.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 August, 2013, 04:40:35 PM
^^
Hi Doc,
That was the 'least impressive' display of 'black belt' martial arts I think I've seen.....
And as for the 'supposedly choreographed' kata that was performed.....sorry !!.... :(
In kata, all moves are to be performed precisely ' in time' ( everyone should be doing the same thing, at the same time ) and these guys were all over the place....
Be interested in what Shaolin Monkey has to say !!

I'm not knocking anyone who actually studies Martial arts as in my youth I studied Tae Kwon Do for about 3 years and achieved Brown belt status....but if all those guys were black belts....pfft !!

Cheers

The sparring reminded me of when I used to play The Way of the Exploding Fist.  ;)

Yeah, the kata drill wasn't very tight was it, though that could have been because the lead instructor/sensei went like the clappers, and some found it hard to follow.  I guess it's like being a good conductor - you have to flow with the strengths/weaknesses of your musicians, or the tune is going to be a discordant mess.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 August, 2013, 10:19:10 AM
The sparring reminded me of when I used to play The Way of the Exploding Fist.  ;)

Yeah, the kata drill wasn't very tight was it, though that could have been because the lead instructor/sensei went like the clappers, and some found it hard to follow.  I guess it's like being a good conductor - you have to flow with the strengths/weaknesses of your musicians, or the tune is going to be a discordant mess.

Yes, it was very poor, but the fact that they are all supposedly 'black belts' doesn't really 'explain' the mess that resulted here ....I know when I used to go,  we had 3 black belts in our class and they were really 'tight' and 'together' especially during katas....
Even the standard of the 'matches' was pretty poor with very low ( and slow ) kicks in most instances....
and I think only about one instance of ( a poor ) 'roundhouse kick ( mawashi geri ?) I'm putting it down as a 'wind up'.... :D
Cheers.
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

SuperSurfer

Martial arts can be like Chinese whispers. Someone starts up their own club or classes. They are no longer trained by someone of a higher grade. Standards slip. New sensei then trains others who start up their own club etc etc. You also get breakaway clubs due to squabbling or clash of egos and such clubs can really go astray.

I thought the sparring and katas were crap. No focus whatsoever in those strikes. Seems like they were merely raising their legs rather than kicking. I see it so often in sparring when people are supposedly fighting but stay miles apart.

Clubs should only put stuff online if it is excellent otherwise the style is open to ridicule. We have one guy who used to be in our association who puts the most embarrassingly rubbish stuff online of himself and his students online. Needless to say people are furious with him.

Dandontdare

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 23 August, 2013, 02:54:40 PM
Martial arts can be like Chinese whispers. Someone starts up their own club or classes. They are no longer trained by someone of a higher grade. Standards slip. New sensei then trains others who start up their own club etc etc. You also get breakaway clubs due to squabbling or clash of egos and such clubs can really go astray.

I thought the sparring and katas were crap. No focus whatsoever in those strikes. Seems like they were merely raising their legs rather than kicking. I see it so often in sparring when people are supposedly fighting but stay miles apart.

Clubs should only put stuff online if it is excellent otherwise the style is open to ridicule. We have one guy who used to be in our association who puts the most embarrassingly rubbish stuff online of himself and his students online. Needless to say people are furious with him.

There was a brilliant documentary on radio 4 earlier in the year about the 70s kung-fu boom, with hilarious tales of virtually untrained people setting up schools all over the shop and regular 'turf wars' between different teachers. Apparently it was common if someone set up a new school, for them to receive a visit and a good kicking from others in the area.

vzzbux

One of my most played games.
Thanks Mr Monkey for reminding me of this game.
Der Derrrr, Der Derrr, Der Derrrr, Der Derrrr, Derrrrrrrrrr

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Skullmo

Quote from: vzzbux on 24 August, 2013, 10:23:23 PM
One of my most played games.
Thanks Mr Monkey for reminding me of this game.
Der Derrrr, Der Derrr, Der Derrrr, Der Derrrr, Derrrrrrrrrr

V

I had a Commodore 64.
It's a joke. I was joking.

The Doctor Alt 8

Why are the mountains MAGENTA?   :lol:

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Frank

JUDGE FANCY MAN, by Earthlet Scott Nestel, 42, from London

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 25 August, 2013, 12:49:20 AM
Why are the mountains MAGENTA?   :lol:

Probably because the Speccy had an incredibly limited palette.

The Doctor Alt 8

I hope this man gets the treatment he so richly deserved....

http://themuseumofincompetance.yuku.com/topic/854

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 August, 2013, 10:17:54 AM

my daughter is presently watching Jedward explain Romano-British archaeology

Now that i would like to see
DDT did a job on me

The Doctor Alt 8

I assure you you wouldn't
But I will say one thing for those boys...

They are certainly making the most of what they have....
It just a pity...